Home General Discussion

UDK Dimensions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the tech talk or general forums considering this more of an opinionated question.

Anyway, just wondering the dimensions some of you guys use for environments rendered in Unreal. Things like hallway size, ceiling height, door height, window height from the ground etc. I read a thread on the UDK forums and also found some other thread somewhere about some recommended sizes and they just don't seem right to me, but I'm assuming a lot of it has to do with what type of environment your making, and also where your environment is. (Warehouse, bedroom, science lab, etc.)
Just thought I'd ask some of you guys that have x amount of years of experience, and know what looks right. :)

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Unreal Units are Flexible.

"In all of the Unreal Tournament games, 1 Unreal Unit is equal to 2 cm.

In Gears of War approximately 2 Unreal Units equal 1 inch, because the characters are 156 units tall and a floor of a building is 256 units tall. This was decided on for grid purposes and so our cover height worked out well.

Most licensees use a scale of 1 Unreal Unit to 1 cm." - Unreal Units Documentation
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I simply create a Biped in Max, set him to 2M, and work form there. I never gave too much weight on anything else then what could be physically measured.

I then turn the Biped into a Static mesh, and import it into UDK and use that as reference when I go modular.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    unreal units and max units are 1:1.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yep. Max units and UDK units are the same. I use Max, so I get no problems there.

I always use 128u = 2m.

96u = ~1.8m (The height of an adult man).

That usually makes things easier to figure out ;)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i remember also seeing an unreal unit calculator floating around out there somewhere. ill see if i can find it
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I remember reading somewhere that in UT3 the average collision box for your character is 6 feet by 4 feet by 1 foot...ish on the thickness. Unreal units are 16 units equal a foot. So your bounding box is 96x64x16, not that the camera height is at the top of that box. So mind the height of low walls and tables.

I don't know how much of this is correct, but its what I build off of.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I remember reading somewhere that in UT3 the average collision box for your character is 6 feet by 4 feet by 1 foot...ish on the thickness. Unreal units are 16 units equal a foot. So your bounding box is 96x64x16, not that the camera height is at the top of that box. So mind the height of low walls and tables.

I don't know how much of this is correct, but its what I build off of.

Just be aware that if you model tables, counters, and anything else at realistic hip-height, it's going to look like it's down at your knees from first-person-view in UDK.

I ran into some scale issues when I was doing an average human-sized office environment and the desks and tables all came out looking like shin traps.