Home General Discussion

Fine art schools

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
I recently posted about game art schools, after recieving all the feed back ive decided that I should persue a degree in fine art. I know there is google and trust me i have been using google. Google however is full of art institute ads full sail ads ITT tech ads. So i would like to come to you guys the ones that are in school, graduated from school, or have heard about good fine art programs. I am looking for something dealing with drawing painting sculpting. something to help my fundamental understanding of art and an education that will ultimately help me with my 3d abilities.

I am willing to relocate any where in the U.S. I just want a sound education to help further my abilities in the field of art.

sorry if this too soon after the other thread.

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Watts Anetlier in the northern part of san diego is pretty well regarded among a lot of people on conceptart.org
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    dont know if your GI bill will pay for it tho
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Striff wrote: »
    Watts Atelier in the northern part of san diego is pretty well regarded among a lot of people on conceptart.org

FTFY
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    I would recommend Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    San Jose State University produces some pretty good graduates

http://ad.sjsu.edu/

http://www.shrunkenheadman.com/p/home/program
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    US News & World Report does rankings, here's one for fine art schools with graduate degree programs (generally also good for undergrads). Rankings are always controversial though.
    http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

Some info on the wiki
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Education

I went to RISD, for much the same reasons as you. Did not know what I wanted to do. I did Illustration as my major, mostly because they allowed electives in all the other depts. Accidentally ended up in games, but now absolutely loving it. RISD was great, very solid in fine art instruction. There are many good schools though. I also looked at Art Center in Pasadena, but it was too serious/professional for what I needed. Some other great art schools... Pratt (NYC), Corcoran (DC), Art Institute of Chicago, CalArts (LA).
  • nick2730
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    so is the art institue of chicago different from other art institutes? Im also at a loss for what i should be looking at when im researching for fine art programs. Drawing Painting sculpting illistration? Im into realism but wouldnt mind trying my hand at concept type art either. I suppose this is all new to me, so far you guys have pointed me to some awesome schools thank you so much so far!

also would full sail be considered a for profit school and does anyone know if it offers decent fine arts program?
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure there's fancier schools out there, but I had an awesome time at Northern Illinois University in Illustration. It's been a little over four years now, but the majority of the Illustration professors I had are still there and they're awesome.

Solid sculpture and ceramics and painting programs too. Middle of the corn fields of DeKalb, IL doesn't make for the most thrilling campus on the planet though..
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    so im looking at it and SAIC looks quite good. The tuition is quite pricy (1200) a semester but the gi bill would cover 650 in illinois and the yellow ribbon would cover another 7500 for the year. Its not a decision im making right away im just interested in what they have to offer.

On that student review site they have positive and negative reviews so im not sure how to sort through those.

are there any grads or students currently attending SAIC?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    waedoe wrote: »
    so is the art institue of chicago different from other art institutes? Im also at a loss for what i should be looking at when im researching for fine art programs. Drawing Painting sculpting illistration? Im into realism but wouldnt mind trying my hand at concept type art either. I suppose this is all new to me, so far you guys have pointed me to some awesome schools thank you so much so far!

also would full sail be considered a for profit school and does anyone know if it offers decent fine arts program?

Yes, technically 99% of schools are 'for profit' but Full Sail is one of the 'tech schools' I wouldn't consider it having a decent fine arts program. I'd also stay away from anything that 'isn't' a state school. Save your money..
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, technically 99% of schools are 'for profit' but Full Sail is one of the 'tech schools' I wouldn't consider it having a decent fine arts program. I'd also stay away from anything that 'isn't' a state school. Save your money..

Are there any state schools you would recomend? I suppose i havent heard much about state schools and their fine arts programs.