Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my -PROPS- thread-[WIP]

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
I'll be make tons of props in this thread.Here are the first one.I really need Comments and Critiques.

14b84rd.jpg
b4gt4o.jpg
351dcns.jpg
dnbq10.jpg
Yeah I know It's uninteresting but more to come!

Replies

• Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    these sorts of random objects are my favorite to model and this is a nice one :P good job :)

Though the lights are noticibly low poly yet you have screws/nuts modeled?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks and yeah I have modeled the bolts at the other side of the mesh.Thought It would be nice to break up the too much low-poly appearance.

Light pieces took the %75 of the polycount.It's a 12 sided cylinder.Do you say a value lower then 16 is unacceptable?

Need more crits.Especially texturing-wise,please.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any scene you are making this for or just messin about?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    No,there won't be any scene so I gonna make a wide variety of props.Maybe some of the props may turn into a small scene we'll see.

Need critiques about the prop above(I know It's too boring).Or am I reached the perfection? :)
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    igi, here is quick overpaint

rbgeofix.jpg

its the same silhuette, but it uses less triangles than yours.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I think you need to work on the silhouette. Those planks look really really thin. The base also doesn't seem long/wide enough to grant stability to the barrier. I also think this barrier would need some diagonal bars to hold it all together in real life. Imagine this structure getting hit by a strong wind gust? I don't think it would resist that. Did you use any refs for this?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    @linkov Thats the good point,really appreciate that!

@minotaur0 Yeah i have a referance.
    http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/road_block.jpg

It's also looks thin and It seems they're used some sandbags to stabilize that.I can model some sandbags,maybe.

Yeah It seems I can put a few more metal support for the stornger appearance since I have saved lots of tri's from the light pieces,thanks to linkov.

I know there's more important problems about the shape that you guys mentioned but I'm still curious what do you guys think about the texturing?
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If nobody says anything about the texturing but they tell you about other things.. normally I good sign I think..
    To be honest I like your textures :)

Everything I was going to say has been said.. But you said they use sandbags to stabilize it. So as an extra touch why not model them sandbags? ;)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    yo, not bad. I'd suggest more contrast in your spec map.

metal should be shinier than the painted wood... more contrast between the orange and white paint spec...

I like to make grime reflect almost no light... adds a nice texture to the spec... but that's just me.

Cheers
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is supposed to be high-visibility so the reflectiveness of it at the moment is about right I think... But that is just my opinion.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit, i'm an asshole... sorry

lol
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello people,I made some progress on It according to your critiques,thanks.
    I'm calling It done,what do you think?
    bgb7fn.jpg
    awyts7.jpg
    5p21qp.jpg
    33b368k.jpg
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could easily optimize the texture to something like this without losing any quality:
    textureo.jpg
    I don't think the stripes should have any depth in the normal map either.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Hello again.Thanks for the awesome critiques! I'm started to make a new asset.
    FIRE HYDRANT

I just modeled hi-poly yet.I gonna bake and texture this.But I'd like to know if there's any problems.Thanks :)

2ep7qxs.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Looks quite good, a lot of your edges are too sharp for your lowpoly to pick it up though, especially on those bolts. Would you mind showing a wire frame of it undivided?
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Baked and textured.Looking for Comment&Critiques.Thanks.
    2ufykva.jpg
    x6esmv.jpg
    108a5bb.jpg
    2i254rc.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    igi wrote: »
    Thanks for the awesome critiques!

You should really listen to them; half the tris and texture map size? You should really put that into practice. And ditch those cylinders that look like rivets or whatever, do them with normals...
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    You should really listen to them; half the tris and texture map size? You should really put that into practice. And ditch those cylinders that look like rivets or whatever, do them with normals...

Yeah I made those tweaks you mentioned.I think no need to put final version,then I jumped to another model as you can see up there^.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    look great , but you have to work more on your texture and put more color like those bolt give them another color :) will look great . and more details on your normal . and some scratch
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    igi wrote: »
    I think no need to put final version

There's definitely a need to put it in the final version ;)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, looks good. My only problems would be that yellow is not my favourite colour but seriously that the material properties make it look like plastic.

the paint also doesn't seem to be all that chipped considering the amount of rust on the thing...

if this thing is being painted regularly, it wouldn't rust that way...

also, if it were going to rust, it would do it on the corners first, where the paint would most likely be chipped first... corners of objects get beat to hell most of the time... keep that in mind when doing your texture painting and you'll see amazing improvement in your texture work...

good job on the fire hydrant though, just a bit more work and it'll be shippable.