Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jon Woodman, Environmental Asset Artist

Envart
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Envart polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycount!

I'm finally ready to post my draft portfolio. There's trepidation in my heart as I unveil my portfolio to the online world. Any crits or comments are humbly appreciated.

http://www.env-art.com/

:D

Context: I'm a university graduate looking to apply to industry for the position of environment or prop artist.

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Well the trepidation is showing since your website isn't even loading for me :P

Seems like it's not online yet
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Ok sorry for the double post, seems your link is picky, needs a slash after the .com to load for me in firefox 4.

For the space station scene turn down the bloom, it's way too strong. On that piece that is holding the ship up - the detail could be done in the normal map, it doesn't need to be modeled in like that. Usually normal maps are helpful when it doesn't affect the silouhette of your object and there are not very deep grooves.

The office scene is still very red in feeling, you don't have to change it but personally I would mess with the post process chain to reduce the saturation some, or just lower the red channel.

Finally you have a ton of different tabs on your site, your contact info should be shown at all times and therefore doesn't necessarily need to have it's own tab, that can also be on your C.V. so that if they need to find it, they'll know where to go - although if it's shown at all times they won't have to go anywhere.

Try and cut out more, you don't need a "Home" button, especially since it's the same page as your portfolio. Less is more when it comes to showing off art, art is the only goal.

I'm not sure the level design project is worth showing unless you actually plan on applying to those positions, but I'd wait for other feedback for that.

Good luck, keep it up!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like DDuckworth said, lose the level design section. Also, the character needs to go. Its not really a stellar character compared to other character artists...and even if you are looking for an environment art position, you will be judged based on your weakest link...so focus more on your environments (if that is what you are aiming towards that is)

Your office scene is coming along nicely. I wont critique it too much here since you are getting good feedback on your WIP post for it already.

For your scifi scene, the presentation of the prop in the images you have isn't the best. The washed lighting makes what could be a nice prop look pretty bad. Try messing with materials and lighting to present this better.

Good start though!
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, as people have stated remove that character ASAP! When it comes to your library and space station scene, your lighting is destroying the scenes. IN both scenes the lighting is way to monotone and even through out the entire scenes. Also the bloom in the space station is waaay to much.

Get some pools of light going in the space station scene, right now it is being blown out and it is nearly impossible to see even what is going on in the scene.

The library is way to orange brown and seems to lack a visual focal point for me. Try adjusting your lighting and color scheme.

Good luck and keep pushing it..
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry to add a no content post, I just wanted to say thanks very much for your comments and crits. I really appreciate your taking time out to help a guy. Muchos gracias!
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there Walrus,

I just wanted to add a small feedback for your site. Along with what everyone already pointed out, I would recommend you change your website's address from just env-art to your name. If companies are to remember you, your name would be a better choice than just env-art.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
  • SarahFaber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick comment,
    I wouldn't mind seeing some more breakdowns and wireframes for your sets. For your space station, you state that it has a heavy use of tiling and modular components... why not show off the breakdowns and texture sheets?

Best of luck!