Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Motel [WIP]

So here is my latest wip. This is the first time I am using marmoset and couldn't figure out how to tile textures on meshes... so the floor is way off on scale. I also plan if I have time to day to take all this into udk. So not all the textures are complete and I dont have any spec maps created yet. But with that, please by all means rip my scene apart. I need the harsh crits.

thanks

9vcncn.jpg
jrtgrc.jpg
2hg8bwx.jpg
30acivr.jpg

Replies

• Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Throw some AO into the scene and as for getting tile textures to work at the right size you have to scale the uvs in max or whatever your using and then export it like that.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting is killing it for ya. Like Ryan said, give it a healthy serving of AO and then dig in there with a good lighting pass.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should probably use UDK or something similar as well, I would think UDK would give you way more control over textures, shaders, and lighting as compared to Marmoset.

Plus, UDK looks better on a resume. :D

I would also say to quadruple the level of detail in the scene. More props, more random-ness, more of a 'lived-in' feel. Look at other 3D art of interiors.

Most hotels have stains from years of use.

Textures also need more contrasting details, like the chairs, wood, lamp, and pop cans. Not too much contrast though, SSAO will take care of that.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryan I am going to have a noob moment right now, but you say add an AO map, I have AO maps for each of the assets. SO what you are saying is to create an ao with the assets in place? Like I would bake the floor with the chairs and the bed in the scene? Sorry I am a little confused. But would that step be unnecessary if I were to place this inside of udk?

@RexM so marmoset is good for individual assets and for testing? Where for a scene like this, udk is a better choice?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    :) need some lighting!
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@RexM so marmoset is good for individual assets and for testing? Where for a scene like this, udk is a better choice?

Yes.

If you already have AO maps applied to your models, make them more intense. You won't have to worry about that in UDK though, you can just use SSAO so you don't have to use AO maps.

UDK will give you so much more flexibility.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK thanks, ssao is part of lightmass... which is also why we create two uv channels. I am always ready to hear something that I completely passed over.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    There is also a check box in the Render tab within marmoset to turn Ambient Occlusion on.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK thanks, ssao is part of lightmass... which is also why we create two uv channels. I am always ready to hear something that I completely passed over.

I am pretty sure that you only need to generate light maps in UDK when you aren't using dynamic lighting and dynamic SSAO. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    umm... quick question.. why is there a random blood splat in the middle of the floor?
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekomata wrote: »
    umm... quick question.. why is there a random blood splat in the middle of the floor?

I was trying to experiment with stains on the floor... but red just looks like fresh blood. Fail.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this actually looks more like a 3d arch previs than an actual hand-crafted scene.

all your textures are just flat materials applied to very simple forms. there seems to be very little manipulation or artistry applied to them.

take your wallpaper for example: it's the same pristine thing repeated everywhere. no stains, spots, rips, tears, shadows; no character to it.

this is the same for everything.

What is the purpose of this scene? are you trying to show off your composition and lighting? if so, then once you get all that set up simpler textures like this might suffice - even then, this scene isn't terribly interesting. If you're trying to sell yourself as an env artist, this simply will not do it.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this actually looks more like a 3d arch previs than an actual hand-crafted scene.

all your textures are just flat materials applied to very simple forms. there seems to be very little manipulation or artistry applied to them.

take your wallpaper for example: it's the same pristine thing repeated everywhere. no stains, spots, rips, tears, shadows; no character to it.

this is the same for everything.

What is the purpose of this scene? are you trying to show off your composition and lighting? if so, then once you get all that set up simpler textures like this might suffice - even then, this scene isn't terribly interesting. If you're trying to sell yourself as an env artist, this simply will not do it.

I know I placed this in the "Pimping and Previews" section, but I am not trying to say its great by any means. In fact this piece was never intended to be in my portfolio. I am still trying to understand all the techniques and really work on getting a nice work flow down. But since posting this, I have most the assets in udk, and I also improved most of the textures.

So in other words, its really just a project I hope to learn from.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »

And please explain what is a 3d arch previs?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And please explain what is a 3d arch previs?

He's saying it looks like a 3D architectural previsualtion. Basically, he's saying what you've made here looks more like it's going for absolute realistic proportions/furniture, and textures instead of something that's really "artistic." A scene built with high to low, lighting, and textures in mind. Generally, something that will go into an engine. Versus just being rendered in a 3D modeling package.

Like this archvis versus these other two pieces by Hostilis and SanderDL.

these.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So in other words, its really just a project I hope to learn from.

Fair enough - but you won't learn anything if you have no precise goal to achieve/match/recreate.
    Where is your concept ? Your reference pictures ? Your mood sheet collage ? 99% of the success of a scene will come from these things and from how efficiently you use them.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything people are saying about the lighting and textures is true. Needs more detail, contrast, etc.

Something I noticed was that you have a ton of wasted geometry though. The biggest culprit is the blanket on the bed. It has way way too many tris for the silhouette you are getting out of it. You could easily make that blanket like 10-20 tris and get the same silhouette. Also, the walls, floor, and ceiling have way more geo than they need to. Each wall, floor, ceiling should be 2 tris. They are completely flat which is also sort of a problem, there's not really any reason to make something that looks that boring.

Look at texturing tutorials, modeling tutorials, keep learning, and read the critiques you get here. Keep at it!