Home Technical Talk

Max to maya, Questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Warning these maybe the noobiest questions ever, Shock in awe!

1st thing is I have a model that is 5 feet 5 inches in max and when I import It into Maya It's huge I need to set Maya and max up so when I export from one It shows up properly in the other.

I made Maxes,
Display unit scale: Feet w/Fractional Inches 1/1
&
System Unit Setup: 1 Unit = 1.0 Feet

Maya's Grid options,
length and width: 12.0000 Units
Grid lines every: 1.0000 units
Subdivisions: 6
&
Preference settings: Working Units
Linear: foot
Angular degrees

I obviously need some help as when I import objects they do not match up.
Also the .FBX file format that is supposed to work does not work between these applications. (will check Autodesk now, hoping for a service pack/hot fix)

While I am at It, how does one view detailed information about an object in Maya as you can in Max?

Example image provided:

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    $!nz wrote: »
    how does one view detailed information about an object in Maya as you can in Max?

Channel box, click on the button in the top right hand corner of Mayas UI to open it. It displays and lets you modify parameters for objects and tools.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    @$!nz: Have you update Maya FBX plugin?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the units thing, see if max's export was exactly 100 times too big. For me, max has a tendency to do that for me between Maya and Unity. In max I commonly find myself working in meters and exporting in centimeters to solve that.

For the fbx problems you are having...what version of Maya are you using? 2010 and older (2011 maybe too, dont know) don't allow you to use FBX files right out of the box.

Go to Window > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager. Look for fbxmaya.mll and make check Loaded and Auto load. Kinda weird that you have to set this up...oh well.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [QUOTE=haiddasalami;1374985]@$!nz: Have you update Maya FBX plugin?[/QUOTE]

Seems you are right:gsokol

Yea just now for Maya 2012 and Max 2011, I am going to try import/export from Max 2012, but doubt anything will come of It. I tried these two and exports from Max go in fine to Maya but Maya to Max is a no, no, the meshes don't even show up & the scene is blank after importing the .FBX to Max.

polyhertz: I checked It out and yes It shows settings but It's weird or my file is, cause I select a counter from It and It shows 0-0-0 so I am at a loss their.

Any plug-ins that can make my life easier? I hate this.:poly127: guess It's too much to ask for one thing in the world of 3D to be easy.

I checked loaded & autoloaded for OBJ maybe If I can use that things should be easier on me? Here's hoping, so tired...
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyhertz: I checked It out and yes It shows settings but It's weird or my file is, cause I select a counter from It and It shows 0-0-0 so I am at a loss their.

Can you show a picture of what you mean?

I recently dabbled in Maya from Max too..its not too bad once you get the hang of it.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here It Is.

I really have to figure something out.
    Guess I can try that millimeters, CM thing tomorrow morning.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, is this a mesh you created in Maya? or Imported from Max?

If it was imported from Max into Maya:

I think your out of luck. This mesh would have no Maya history for when it was created. So, this is similar to collapsing the stack on a primitive in Max. Once your initial primitive is gone from the stack, you can't change the primitive settings.

If this object was created in Maya:

You would look in the Attribute Editer (where the channel box/tool settings is) and go back through the tabs in there until you get to where the primitive was created, then there are settings for width, height, and depth.

mayaattributes_gs.jpg

I hope that helps.