Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Barbarian on Roidz (it's a monster sculpt)

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
I've been working on this dude for the past couple of days and I'm thinking of calling it a bit early. As you can see it's just a doom-style monster (without the cybernetics), nothing fancy. I would appreciate some hard constructive criticism from you guys!

/edit oh btw, he's missing his finger and toe nails, I'll add those in Max.

Concept_small.jpg?t=1308704952

1.jpg

2-2.jpg

Inspired by AotP's Spaz Out

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUwNVS2-Fk[/ame]

Replies

• Moosey_G
    I'm really liking the proportions on this guy. Maybe make the feet and hands a bit bigger, or calm down the muscles on the legs a bit more. Other than that nothing really to crit from me, looking forward to seeing this!
  • jmt
    I don't really see any major flaws standing out. The face looks kind of strange to me. I think that it's because of the way the teeth stick out and the way the jaw is structured. It doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the face.

The second thing that I noticed is that there are interesting overall forms (the way that it`s blocked out) and a lot of surface detail (wrinkles, veins) but not much in-between, if you know what I mean. It needs some more interesting shapes, like more spikes, armor etc. Right now this seems like where it could mostly be improved.

The forearms are well-sculpted, but the crease that you sculpted between where the bicep inserts to the bottom of the wrist looks a little off. The pecs should probably be less flat (rounder)and have more mass.

The gastrocnemii folds shouldn`t be visible like that from the front of the calves.

EDIT: Also, the thigh muscles seem way too symmetrical and the way the back connects to the shoulder area looks awkard. The arm spikes seem random rather than fitting the forms. It`s kind of hard to put these thoughts into words, but hopefully I helped.
  • OtrickP
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    The head is massive compared to the rest of the body, hips could be a bit bigger, im not feeling the buldge in the lower calfs, raise the mass a bit and taper closer to thr ankle
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    @Moosey_G Yeah I was thinking the hands and feet need to be bigger myself. I'll probably do that in the realtime model.

@jmt: Teeth need to be re-aligned for sure. Instead of baking these ones in the realtime, I'll create new ones that are not so nerdishly outwards-oriented. I get what you're saying about the in-between details, I was thinking of giving him a loincloth sort of thing, but maybe I should invest in some armour details as well.

I will give more roundness to the pecs, but I don't understand the part about the crease. You mean the front side of the elbow? Or down at the wrist?

I have to admit that the arm spikes are actually very random. I did move them so that they would be in line with the muscles, but yeah - there's a slight offness in there.

Lastly, you're spot on about the shoulder as well. I fudged this one up but I think it may be a bit too late to work on the surrounding musculature right now to fix. It is the thing that pisses me off even worse than the calf muscles right now :P

@OtrickP: I'll make the head smaller in the realtime, it did come out a bit bigger than it should have been.

@Super Happy Cow: I'm not sure exactly what you mean by falloff, but if it looks weird it's probably due to lack of skill. I think I might have overused the hPolish brush on the edges of the muscles.

General thoughts: I'm not happy about the legs either, especially the calves. I'll see if I can fix them tonight. Thanks for your input guise!
  • jmt
    The crease I'm referring to is the one that goes from the bottom of the biceps, along the forearms and curls around under the wrist if you look at your front shot. It's just to the right of the vein on his right arm.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    colour.jpg

Update, I've changed the calves, tried to make the thigh muscles less symmetrical and painted it.

Now I'm gonna start thinking about armour and stuffz; I don't know whether to bake the low poly first and add stuff later or maybe do it now...
  • Tom3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom3D polycounter lvl 8
    I think the hips need widening at the moment it looks like his torso is tiny in comparison to the rest of the body unless this is a stylistic choice
  • jmt
    Look at pictures of bodybuilders for reference, especially on the legs!
    Right now the legs look like meat tubes with cracks cut into them.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Untitled-1-3.jpg2-3.jpg

2c.jpg

I worked a bit more on the legs, and added scales so that it has some more small level details. There's no fancy changes to the legs tbh, just some deepening of the thigh muscle separation.

BTW Tom3D, yes the narrow hips were a stylistic choice.

Well, I guess that's it for this dude for now. I'll start on the lowpoly/retopo in July and hopefully at least give him some briefs - or even better, armor!

Thanks for all the suggestions/crits you guise.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Well, so much for starting in July! It was a good summer, so I had to wait a month to finish with painting this dude and adding some cloth on him.

2mocdup.jpg
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Alright, that took me a while because I've been busy with other stuff, but here's the posed low poly - wires first, then a couple of quick attempts at presentation. I would greatly appreciate any and all input on which presentation style fits best (esp. concerning the background) or anything else that you guys would like to suggest.

It clocks in at ~7200 tris, with 1024x1024 maps.

dfyoah.jpg

And here's a couple of takes on the presentation:

25grk.jpg

zwl3m1.jpg

316axba.jpg

9utelg.jpg

Finally, the head is now a bit smaller.