Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Turret from Homeworld2

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
I've started to take a shot at one of the turret concepts from Homeworld2. The concept is from Aarron Kambeitz at Relic.

So far I've blocked out the lowpoly and experimented with the moving parts of the turet especially the unfolding mechanism.
In difference to the concept I have the gun element sticking out of the tower while the concept shows the ammo-box sticking out. That is because it was much easier to fit the thing inside the tower. The concept is kind of vague how the mechanism is about to function so I found this to be good compromise.

The geometry isn't yet cleaned up. I'm not sure if I rather should clean up everything before starting the highpoly or leave it this way because of some minor changes that probably will occur.

The model has about 2200 tris at the moment but with proper cleaning this can be lowered easily. Not yet sure about the final tri count.
I hope you like it so far.
hw_relic_j_aaron_kambeitz_turret07_concept.jpgguntower_lp.png

Replies

• Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates on this. I've managed my way through the highpoly. there a some areas that need some polishing and additional detail i.e. the lower part of the tower. I'm not happy with the front part of the ammo-box. The forms don't fit together in my opionion. I hope to fix this soon. One could assume to just stick with the concept ... but its kinda hard for me. :/

The second picture shows different states from the animation the tower is supposed to do uppon activation / deactivation.

the third picture shows the front side of the turret when deactivated.

guntower_hp1.png

guntower_hp2.png

guntower_hp3.png
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Homeworld2 has one of my favorite art style.

I'd make these cannons look chunkier, and scale up a bit that antena.

Liking so far.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    God it's nice to see Homeworld stuff again. I miss those games.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for comming back to this so late, but I wanted to have some solid progress to show before doing an update.

@ cox:

thank you for the suggestion. I indeed scaled up the cannons a little and changed / scaled the antenna as far as possible. As far as the antenna goes its size is pretty much limited by the room the turret-base offers, as I want the folding / unfolding animation to be as plausible as possible without major intersections.

Some general information about the current update:

I've finally finished the lowpoly and did the bakes. You see a 2048 normalmap and a 512 occlusion test map aplied to the model. The final occlusion-map will be available tomorrow morning.

The model has 3770 triangles. Next steps will be, guess what .. texturing. \o/
    I'm not sure with the color-scheme yet but as a first try I'll follow the colors used in the concept. In addition I'll see what I can come up with.

turret_bakes.png

turret_3_wires_s.png
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    bake is looking pretty clean overall.

You poly distribution on your cylinders is very wasteful - and could be used to chamfer some more square edges instead.

eg: the barrels could start 10 sided - then down to 8 - finish as a 6.

Looking forward to the texturing!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    yea u can optimize it more but it looks great

i like it
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, it's me again.

Thank you for your feedback. I did some optimization on the barrels and the radar like beancube suggested. It saved about 200 triangles.

So here we go with the colormap. The shot only shows the normalmap and colormap applied. I just got my hands on marmoset (which is an awesome tool by the way) but I was struggling with the gloss and specular maps I had already prepared. So I decided to first get a decent colormap and then succesive work on secular and gloss features. The colormap is still wip. I need to add some wear and tear on the stripes.

turret_color.png
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the detail distribution. Nice balance. :)
    Only thing I dislike, model-wise is the left "support thingy". The one with the stripes. Maybe remove one of the stripes and just have 3 evenly spaced ones?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Jesus i dont play homeworld for ages i was hoping they were making a 3 one but that's probably not gonna happen :( anyway the turret looks really great!
  • Mekhollandt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic, man. You've reminded me that I need to check out some more of this style concept art for my next projects.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    hi their, im always curious when it comes to these things , im just getting into learning all this high to low baking proccess's and wat not :L

Well my questions is , how do you go about making your low poly ? do you do high first then follow the sillouiete of the mesh (which i find difficult if its a complex shape) or low first to high!?

cheers for anyone that can help or direct me anywhere :D
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    This looks great! It turned out really nice, well done :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'm glad you like it so far.

@Disting:

Yeah I agree that the panels on the left support element are some kind of repetitive and follow no constructional logic other than breaking up the surface. I'm also not absolutely happy with them as well but they don't bother me that much to go back to change the highpoly and do a rebake. Also a friend stated he especially liked this section, so it may depend on personal taste. At the moment I just want to get this finished to start the next piece.

@DJ_Aaron:

From my experience it is much better to first do a lowpoly which should be as refined as possible. You don't need a perfectly clean and optimized lowpoly. Instead I just do a blockout and make sure that I use only quads and mindfull placed edgeloops because later on I use this block out for the first stages of the highpoly. A perfectly refined lowpoly wouldn't be that helpfull for this task as you would need to rearrange the topology to get good subdiv results.

In my last project which isn't completely finished yet I experienced the problems when doing the highpoly first without caring about the low.
    I modeled shapes and forms that poorly translated to the lowpoly I later created. I had to make a lot of changes. Many hp-details needed much more lp-geometry to give a good bake than I imagined. Although I partly changed and simplified the hp (which also wasn't fun) the polycount went higher and higher. Much higher than I imagined the whole asset to be in the first place.

Anyway: I think you should always start with the lowpoly. Don't refine and clean up too much and keep it optimized for later use. Merging different elements together or UV mapping should be delayed until you are perfectly sure you will go with what you have. In my case there mostly some areas where some minor adjustments to the lp will be necessary after doing the hp. So any cleanup and uvmapping I do when I've finished the hp.

There is a problem though: While doing the lp you need to know how your highpoly will look like. The more details you know about this the easier it will be. This can be a problem when a concept (or your imagination) are not precise enough, don't show enough details or leave out certain parts of the assets. In this case you should sitt down and think about the parts and details that are missing and do some scribbles.

For this turret I had the same problem: The concept is in some areas rather vague and the backside is not depicted. I didn't make some scribbles or planed so much ahead but when doing the high poly and thinking about interesting shapes I always judged every element: Will this bake properly on my lp? How much changes and how much triangles would be necessary to accomplish this. With that in mind I didn't ran into the problems I've mentioned before. But the scribble approach should be the way to go unless you are very fast and experienced in hp modelling and thus it's easy to explore and test some shapes and details.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Isn't there a problem with your normal map at the edges ?
    Looks to me there are black lines which kinda look like issues with uv/hard edges
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You had me at homeworld! this looks great :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Noors for pointing this out. The dark lines on those edges came from a occlusionmap whichw as generated from the normalmap. The plan was to use this for pushing some details which were not so much visible in the baked occlusion map. But finally I left this out completely to safe the time for cleaning those dark stripes.

@ Fearian: Thank you.

So here is the model with specular and gloss maps. The bottom of the radar is much too dark.
    Next thing is creating some funky scifi muzzle flash. I'm not sure if an conventional muzzle flash type or something spacey blaster-ion-plasma - effect is the way to go. Also I want the unfolding animation into marmoset. So there are still some things to do.

turret_textures_1.png

turret_textures_2.png

turret_textures_3.png
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This is one tastey turret! Hey Relic, start developing Homeworld 3 and hire this man!
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just brilliant, love the texturing but I'm finding it hard to judge the scale on the turret, the material details and the streaks all seem to imply a very large object but the paint scrapes are very small scale and tend to stick to the edges so they look, to me, less like weathering, space debris or some other thing that may affect a big turret and more like the results of handling or another force more focused on the edges.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thing is awesome, i loved HW2, great job man!
    Add some shiny lights to it or something to spice it up a bit
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome turret. Congrats!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nicely done! Really captured Homeworlds style.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for detailed reply Slave_Zero! helped alot :)
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    This turned out amazing.. gives me nerd chills just looking at it
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This turned out incredible ! Great work, dude !
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    would you mind posting diffuse and spec?
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    whoa man this came out awesome.
    Great work!!
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    Mmmmm yes would very much like to see diff and spec as well.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    cool but wasnt the colors of HW pretty saturated?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i like what u got now, u got it pretty good as a game asset, good textures/shaders details are great,

i would use this asset to present another style, go with something realistic, war colors with rust/dust/mud/and black smoke in some areas

it should be fun
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    as Simon said, it could use a little more saturation. I also feel the wear you have on your edges is a little unnatural, kind of a videogamey generic white fade. the nuclear symbol clashes with homeworlds simplified aesthetic, and looks like an unnecessary detail out of place.

take that all with a grain of salt, still a well done piece. :) well done, dude.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    I'm digging THIS!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    i love the colors you chose.. :D Good one mate
  • tRens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
    I applaud you!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ all:

thank you I'm glad you like how it turned out. I'm also pretty happy with what I've got so far. At the moment I feel like considering it finshed. I did some minor touches but I'm affraid to overdo things. Most changes didn't improve the look much, nor make it worse and left me undecided.
    As soon as I have the animation in marmoset I'll do final presentation shots and a video.

@ Uly:

Thanks for the input on the nuclear sign. I have to agree with you it feels not right and is a little missplaced. I've changed the sign to another homeworld logo. To have an eye-catcher in this area.

@SimonT & Uly:

Yeah the orignal homeworld was much more saturated but comparing to homeworld2 the look got a little bit of desaturation for main colors with saturated contrasting stripes and stuff. As far as I remember there are quite some ships that are dominated by a rather desaturated main color. (depending on faction)

I tested out different color setups and started with more saturated versions but it felt a little too cartoony with the more saturated ones. For example the colors from the concept didn't work on the model. I don'tlnow why but it wasn't appealing although it works great ont he concept. So i just kept changing colors until contrasts, tone and saturation of the main colors felt right for me.

@ Spitfire:

Thank you for you input. I've added some orange glowy bits on three spots to give aome additional contrast. But I wasn't sure about it. It looked cool but not cooler than before. So at the moemnt I'm afraid to do too much. The glowing pieces gave it a more fictional scifi-look and I'm with lonewolf on this one to rather follow a realistic but stylized path.

@ P442 & TychoVII: Here you go.
    turret_color1.png
    turret_spec.png
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flawless diffuse and spec, can we see your normal?
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course you can. The normalmap is a composition. Main source is of course the baked map. In a second step I painted normalmap details in 3dcoat to add the scratches and bullet-holes. I find this to be the easiest way to get those kinds of details because doing those details by voxelsculpting is abit annoying on my machine. It would be slow as hell I think.
    Some additional cleanup was done in photoshop.

turret_nm.png
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE AND TIGHT! just the way I like it!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice results, thanks!
  • dactilardesign
    Options