Home General Discussion

I have a year before I gradguate and I could use some advice.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
As the title says I have pretty much exactly a year before I graduate from college(ITT tech if anyone wanted to know). I know that this degree means pretty much nothing if my portfolio is crap(despite what my career services tells me) I think that a year is a long enough time to really start building up my portfolio and give me a fighting chance at getting into the game industry as either a prop or environmental artist.

About half way though my degree I found out it was mostly focused on game design documents and less on the art side. So after my 3d modeling class(ended in December of 2009) I have been trying to learn everything on my own. So I have a few questions that may seem noobish but it is better to ask it and feel embarrassed for a little while than never know and question why im not getting a job in the industry. Just for a reference here is a thread that has some of my work so you can see where im at http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85096

Questions
1.When modeling do you go Lowpoly>Highpoly or the other way around?
2.Should I also start focusing on learning Zbrush(I do own it and one eat3d tutorial)or really perfect my poly modeling?
3.I seem to start a lot of models or projects get them half finished then more onto something else, this seems like a hard habit to break anyone else go though this?
4.And really just any other tips anyone can offer. I have a year to put in as much work as I can into my portfolio

Thanks in advance for reading, from what I have experienced, the game industry while rough has really great people in it!

Replies

• Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    I model Low to High. It's easier in my process work. Build low poly, UV, then High res it. So when I bake high poly textures to low, I already have low. And sometimes you don't even need to model a high poly object if you created a really good looking low poly.

Zbrush is good to learn if you wanna learn how to add very complex details onto things. And I've seen many good Zbrush models for characters. Many people I've seen use Zbrush to create the high poly version out of their low poly model. I think it would be really good to introduce yourself to the program, and determine for yourself whether you'd want to strongly incorporate Zbrush into your workflow.

As for #3, I get the same problem too.

I would say, watch some eat3d dvds and gnomon dvds, if your school has that in their library. Maybe try to focus yourself into a type of field.. Environment Modeling, Character Modeling, or Concept. Im not saying you can only pick one, but start with one type, and focus on it. See if you like it or not to make a career out of it. And then try out the other types.

Wish you well!

ps. Try correcting your thread title, it was a little hard at first to want to take this thread seriously and read it with your typo. No biggie tho!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you I did not notice that typo, I changed it but it seems to be taking awhile for it to update in the thread listing.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Honesty, and I am not saying that you can't get into the industry, but the market is extremely saturated with people looking for work. My advice, take the year and work on your portfolio, but also seriously consider a plan B.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85905
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84198&highlight=layoff
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77411&highlight=layoff&page=2
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85199&highlight=zipper

These are just a few

• biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it is a saturated market but when it comes down to it I have never wanted to do anything else as a career. You just have to keep pushing and trying until something comes up. As for a plan B im not even sure what I would consider, I guess something in CGI.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    My degree was packed into 21 months, so the last "year" before graduating was more like the last few months. Here's what I would recommend to anyone currently in that position:

1. Work all the time. You should be working more at home than at school.
    2. Don't just work on school stuff. No one cares about your rigging assignments when you're looking for work as a xxxxx artist. In fact, if you know what job you're after (environment, character, animation) just focus on that. Start side projects (and actually finish them)
    3. Don't compare your work to other students. Compare your work to the pros. The best student work is still student work.
    4. Post your work on pc. You'll get better critiques here than from anyone else.

That's all I can think of for now.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Start applying for jobs now, see how things work, get a feel for how long it takes to get contacted by companies and which types of companies contact you. As you actively seek employment while in school start tailoring your portfolio for what you've having the most luck with. Even not hearing back from companies will be good information as you'll know you need to kick up your portfolio a bit.

I started applying about a year before graduation, i got art tests from square enix, riot, cryptic and a job lead for the new halo game. None of them worked out, but after each failure i grew a lot. It's not always about the quality of work you can do, but being able to get into the right mindset quickly to pound out great work in a short period of time. Maybe you don't render it right, or you spend too much time in a game engine. Best advice i can give for art tests themselves is don't sweat the small stuff and just make incredible art assets. If they ask for a scene, be smart about it and do something you're comfortable with that shows very clean and competent modeling and texturing, cannot stress enough how important it is to look at their art style and match it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a really long way to go in only a year. You'll be amazed at how fast that time will fly.

You'll need to do 3-4 personal projects before you start to get to a level where you really start learning. BY personal projects I don't mean, a lantern or a teapot, I mean a small environment with quite a few objects.

There are a lot of things that your "school" has not prepared you for and a year is barely enough time to get it all done in. If you think its not, you underestimate the time it will take to get up to industry standard. Do NOT buy any of the hype or grades they're giving you. Looking at the stuff you linked to it needs a lot of work, and there is so much missing.

You're going up against people who landed jobs where aces at what they do and due to circumstances outside of their control their studios where closed and they're out looking for work. These are the people you need to compare yourself too, not anyone in your school or even your teachers, they all suck.

The good news is, there's quite a bit of knowledge floating around this place so you did land in a good spot, but no one here is going to do the heavy lifting, that's all up to you. I suggest you plan out 3-4 personal projects and THEN start working on portfolio pieces. These first few projects are just for learning and working out the kinks very few people can hit a home run the first time they do anything and with 3D game art it often takes more practice than that before you can turn it into a job.

I'm still working on it and I'm a long way off from where I want to be artistically, I'm lucky enough to have been working in the industry for a few years and its not easy getting in, and once your in its not easy to stay.

Good luck, you're going to need it.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice, I am well aware a year is barley enough time to improve enough to industry standards but barley still means I have a chance. I practice about 5 hours a day but I have a tendency to jump from model to model without finishing it. This is a huge flaw I am working on to fix. For example in my Japanese garden scene I am trying to focus on a bridge. It is modeled and UV mapped but I have yet to start texturing it. Texturing is my weakest link so I plan on spending a long time getting