Home General Discussion

Stockholm!!!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys

im going to be in stockholm for the first time from the 18th to the 21st and id like to get some pointers on the town.

Travelling with a group and Im after good drinking spots but more importantly local viking food. Daytime stuff is also cool but i get the feeling im going to be pretty wasted quite alot, so it'll depend on the hangover.

Meeting PCers goes without saying if ya can make it and keep your drink down !!!

mucho gracias for any help in advance

Replies

• Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I can't give you much info on drinking spots but I'm up for a pc meeting. Just tell me when and where.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Viking food in sthlm? They only eat sushi and kebab there :D
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this place; http://www.sjattetunnan.se
    They sell meed here as well as some viking food ;)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »

lol srsly??

goraaz cheers man looks interesting,not sure bout dressing up though
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha, there's no dress code, don't worry!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im def up for drinks!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahah i dont mind dressing up but the other guys might...

eh i forgot to mention that its the 18-21 of august.. i hear thats when the town gets back to party mode as people return from summer holidays.. awesome vikings with suntans :D

be awesome to meet some you guys!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey with us its always party mode.
    Nice man, hit me up and we'll be rocking august.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    haha, kebab is true viking food nowadays! :D
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Snefer wrote: »
    haha, kebab is true viking food nowadays! :D

Man i would kill for a greasy artery clogging kebab pizza. There are no good kebabb places around here that i know of, its killing me! Plus, its the ultimate hang-over food, will clear you right up.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    hahah i dont mind dressing up but the other guys might...

eh i forgot to mention that its the 18-21 of august.. i hear thats when the town gets back to party mode as people return from summer holidays.. awesome vikings with suntans :D

be awesome to meet some you guys!

Don't worry, you'll be drunk!

Also, I might probably be joining this stockholm PC meetup too!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome a posse is forming !

Im kinda tempted to try surstromming...

kebab ehhh no how the hell did you guys end up eating that ?!?!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think kebab might inevitably become our national dish one day.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Malmö=Falafel, Göteborg=Kebabpizza, Stockholm=Kebab
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Most of the better bars and straight drinking places are pretty much divided into different music genres, kinda. So what are you guys into ;) But there's always "Dovas" in the middle of town. A cheap and fairly rundown sports bar. It's a real keeper :P

If I succeed to get me some kind of income I'm absolutely down for a PC meat up! :D
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't, it's horrible.. I don't know why anyonw would want to eat it really :(

And sure, we got some local food. Not a lot of it though. It's the swedish meatballs with boiled potato and (cowberries?). And then some other stuff that ain't all that interesting, so we mainly eat asian food and kebab over here, at least when we go to restaurants that is.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    awesome a posse is forming !

kebab ehhh no how the hell did you guys end up eating that ?!?!

Probably some time in the 70s when turkish immigrants moved here and opened up kebab places ;). The kebab people are refeering to in this thread is döner kebab which is a turkish dish usually served with bread(sometimes rice, chips(fries) and also on pizza nowadays like MartinH mentioned). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab
    It's fast food btw and there are places in London selling these as well. It's kind of like a substitute to a cheeseburger.

I've got another one for you, this place is good if you haven't made up your mind and don't feel like traveling between places; http://www.kungshallen.nu/In%20English/in_english.htm
    It's a place with several different restaurants serving different sorts of food.

Other than that Tiros mentioned a national dish. If you want to try out some there in London you could go to IKEA's restaurant if you haven't already. I think they have marinated salmont(gravad lax) there as well as swedish meatballs.

Also I think you should try the surströmming. Sure, it's disgusting, but think of all the people you can brag about it to ;)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we got kebab all over the place here too, i dont eat it all that often, but enjoy it when i do. curiosity with the surstromming, is partly the smell, to see if it is that bad. i am keen to try it though, ive never turned down a food challenge. i've heard of seal and whale stew too but i think this is in the north (i might be completely wrong and confusing it with norwegian or finnish food). deffo gonna be alot of meatball eating!!!!

august is still some ways off, at the end of july i'll PM all those that potentially wanna meet and sort out the logistics.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the ultimate experience would be swedish meatballs in the biggest IKEA, here in stockholm.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Pickeled herring, crisp bread, salmon (smoked and cured), falu-sausage, elk and raindeer, pölsa and palt... there's some traditional swedish food. Also you will have to drink some schnaps, akvavit.
    For deserts you need to have somtehing with cloud-berries (usually vanilla ice-cream) and try a cinamon-bun.
    If you're in to it, maybe you should have some snuff as well... that is very swedish.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, all our good food is only available in the summer, pretty much. Like pickled herring with "new potato" and sour cream. Mmmmmmh.. I wonder if that's possible to get your hands on on a restaurant? :P

When i think about it there one place that should eat at. A real culture heritage from the 70's. It's a wagon standing on a small square (södermals torg) just outside of the entrance of Slussen (like 50 meters from DICE's office actually).

They sell smoked herring on crispbread with onion. It's super. And it's like 2£..
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool ivars thats the kinda stuff im looking for, im hoping this thread becomes a bucketlist of stuff to eat, things to do and places to point and laugh as people puke up xD

hopefully august is still kinda considered to be summer :P

would be funny to eat meatballs in ikea in stockholm, but I cant stand ikea over here >_< at the best of times.

music wise im pretty versatile socially more into good atmostphere and after a while any kinda music sounds good... we do have a couple of local ladies that will be showing us around a bit but im not sure how much.. i have no idea who they are, theyre friends of friends
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    When you are there, make sure you get some Super kebab pizza. It's as awesome as it sounds :)
    Also, Semla is amazing (if its the season...i forget when its made) :)
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys

im going to be in stockholm for the first time from the 18th to the 21st and id like to get some pointers on the town.

Travelling with a group and Im after good drinking spots but more importantly local viking food. Daytime stuff is also cool but i get the feeling im going to be pretty wasted quite alot, so it'll depend on the hangover.

Meeting PCers goes without saying if ya can make it and keep your drink down !!!

mucho gracias for any help in advance

Sorry, we only got kebab, pizza and chinese here. If you go to IKEA you might be able to grab some meatballs.

Things todo:
    If you like photography the "Fotografiska" is highly recommended.

There's plenty of museums aswell. We got this huge (Vasa)museum about a boat that was an epic failure. Could be fun for a foreigner.
    We also got a pretty big one called Naturhistoriska with an IMAX theatre with 3d-stuff and all. Pretty cool.

Also theres the Royal "Castle" and the "royal guard"?

Then there's the "Drottningholm" where the royal family actually lives. Pretty cool victorianish garden/architecture.

Take a boat to Waxholm on a Sunny day is also quite nice.

Theres some kind of cityview-attraction-thingy on the "Ericsson Globe" aswell. Which in itself is a sight.

For excellent drinks(and most likely food) I recommend "Gondolen".
    Mosebacke for a drink with a nice view over the city.

I dunno, grab a 6pack and chill out in a park?

City geography:
    Södermalm= Workerclass/chill/music/jazz/nightlife
    Östermalm= Upperclass/Luxury/nightlife
    Gamla Stan= Old Town, Tourists, shopping, Lovely Architecture
    Kungsholmen= ???, good restaurants

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, lingonberry somehow sounds wrong as it's the same in Swedish. And turns out cowberry is actually a correct name for it as well.. doesn't sound as tasty that way tho :/

Apparently it's also called foxberry and possibly 'lowbush cranberry' as well :poly142:
    maybe you should have some snuff as well... that is very swedish.

How could I forget that, seeing as I do it myself :s

Just make sure you don't get loose snuff though, but the ones in small bags 'portion'. Or else it'll prolly be all over the place if it's your first time. And as a word of caution, most likely won't like it the first 2-3 times, could get nauseous, and it'll sting, but after that... :)

oh, and the taste is horrible. So just put it in under the lip and make sure it doesn't get wet.

Some people seem to get the wrong idea btw. It's not some sort of weird drug, it's just regular tobacco.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    qlz wrote: »
    Södermalm= Workerclass/chill/music/jazz/nightlife

Full of people wishing they lived there, but otherwise a high-income part of town in disguise :P

By far the best one though for outdoor relaxation
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you are there, make sure you get some Super kebab pizza. It's as awesome as it sounds :)

I'm very sorry to tell you this, but the "semla"-period was i Mars this year, usually it's in February..
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to tell you this, but the "semla"-period was i Mars this year, usually it's in February..

Ahh. Thats a shame. Now i think about it, i was there in Feb one year, which is when i had it. Beautiful stuff though :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

pity its out of season, yanno i got this italian friend she's a bit of a snob hates how italian food has changed around the world and i just cant wait to tell her about super kebab pizza, its going to be so damned amusing.. im going to try and get her to come along and get her to try some...lool

ahhh snuff coool i had a polish friend that was into that stuff.. will deffo be gettkng myself some of that.. how strict are the smoking laws over there?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pity its out of season, yanno i got this italian friend she's a bit of a snob hates how italian food has changed around the world and i just cant wait to tell her about super kebab pizza, its going to be so damned amusing.. im going to try and get her to come along and get her to try some...lool

ahhh snuff coool i had a polish friend that was into that stuff.. will deffo be gettkng myself some of that.. how strict are the smoking laws over there?

No smoking in public indoor places, snuff not included in that.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I tried Snus, when i was there. Is that what you mean?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

damn! I knew I should have visited Stockholm while I had the chance. The kebabs in Oslo sucked :(
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Kwramm wrote: »
    damn! I knew I should have visited Stockholm while I had the chance. The kebabs in Oslo sucked :(

the kebab in stockholm sucks..
    got to go 3 hours north to Falun in Dalarna to get the good stuff..:poly141:

if theres gonna be a hookup, I'd love to join.
    met Rens some time ago and we both agreed that we hate crowds of people, but if its some good ol' penis lovin polycounters, I'm sure we'll all be happy:poly136::thumbup:
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there is beer im happy, though i went out on a friday night in central/slussen/gamla .. fuck me, there are waaay too many clubs, bars and places you can sit down, but they are all filled with people and have lines infront of them that take a while, all kinds of crazy.

So that can be good fun to see, specialy cause it doesnt get dark and you still walk around with good lighting.

qlz, i live in kungsholmen, fancy area but alot of contruction atm. They have a nice park and the thorildsplan subway stops around the corner for me :D
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Im totally up for this! Maybe we all can hook up for a dinner and way to much beer/drinks?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »

Haha yeah, that's pretty much one of the worst döners/kebabs in the world. Fact.

Never realized that you lived in Sthlm rens. And not on a bad address neither ;)

[Extremely unnecessary info] I've finally, with this post, turned into a REAL polycounter. Oh, where's the champagne!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah moved here not too long ago for dice,
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Rens wrote: »
    If there is beer im happy, though i went out on a friday night in central/slussen/gamla .. fuck me, there are waaay too many clubs, bars and places you can sit down, but they are all filled with people and have lines infront of them that take a while, all kinds of crazy.

So that can be good fun to see, specialy cause it doesnt get dark and you still walk around with good lighting.

qlz, i live in kungsholmen, fancy area but alot of contruction atm. They have a nice park and the thorildsplan subway stops around the corner for me :D

"Lönehelg" is always the worst weekend to go out. But yeah, lots of people in general. You'll have to start out at 1600 :D Then you might have a shot at sitting down.

Cool, then I've probably driven by your place several times :) Usually get on the E4/20 highway there.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4pm thats madness.. lol.. I like it..
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so the time is here... will be flying in thursday afternoon (18th), was thinking if guys wanna meet up friday is a good option for some food and beers for those that want. Staying at The Grand.. I hear its super swanky, I got an uber cheap rate through a friend.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Im up for friday, 19th?
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    oh friday NEXT week..well, it is usually Tekken-day here in Stockholm...

tekken >< polycount

I'm gonna need a minute ;D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like a date!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm moving to Stockholm next week (18th) but I'm not to sure that I can hook up with you guys as I'm probably busy as hell (first weekend in new apartment hopefully etc). I'll put my participation up as an eventual maybe.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'm moving to Stockholm next week (18th) but I'm not to sure that I can hook up with you guys as I'm probably busy as hell (first weekend in new apartment hopefully etc). I'll put my participation up as an eventual maybe.

Damn you've been moving around Wahlgren :) Hope you'll have a good time in Stockholm!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Chris. I'm quite tired of it aswell to be honest. That's why I'm back in vikingland. I'll be sticking around for ages now. Cheers bro!
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome back home Andr
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, I think Andre should come ^_^.. A welcome home party !

As for location, please suggest something as I dont know my head from my arse when it comes to stockholm

Im pretty easy.. will be spending thursday afternoon looking for cans of sursromming! gonna open one in the lobby of the hotel xD
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    So have you guys decided yet? Where and when shall we meet?