Home Technical Talk

Made a High Poly Tire Tread, What Now?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
So, I made this tire tread for a off-road vehicle, and I don't really know how to finish it or if its any good for generating normals... (ultimately for use in UDK) Is that weird triangle crap on the edge of the treads just my smoothing groups messing up? How do I generate AO from the High Poly model?

For the rim that goes in the center, Should that be made as a free floating element? When do modelers decide to split the model, whats the criteria?

EDIT: For some reason, the following screenshots are showing up all washed out in my browser (Google Chrome), but not when I download them and view them in Microsoft picture viewer or in IE9. I can reupload them if you have problems.
iZBkq.png
iZDsy.png
idv9Wo.png

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I assume that you have some odd Gamma settings going on in the tool you used to save or generate these images- better check that for the future when creating screens again.

As for your tire: just start retopo'ing a low model mesh and bake the stuff- see for further improvements from there.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its funny you say I should check my screencap tool, since it was actually 3DS Max's own Viewport Capture tool...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well max uses 3 different Gamma seetings: screen, input, and output. You might have cranked either of the values up some time and it might explain why the images are screwed or odd in browsers that don't support gamma correction.
    Just take a screenshot with the printScr button on your keyboard that should normalise it to standard 1.0 ratio.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, re-upped using PrintScreen/Paint.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    As for your tire: just start retopo'ing a low model mesh and bake the stuff- see for further improvements from there.

Any good free/student retopoing software, or should I do it by hand in max? Also, How Do I approach AO? is there some way or reason to get it from the High poly model?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You can retopo with the Ribbons Tool under Freeform IIRC or use this: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

Although my opinion is you don't really need to retopo anything. Just pop in a cylinder in the scene, make a hole in the middle, and line it up as closesly to the mesh as you can so that it covers the high poly, unwrap it and bake it.

Also, I would suggest fixing up the inner part of the tire. Those faceted parts aren't helping you. Fun fact, you can use Tri's just fine in High Poly models if they help you reduce pinching and other issues, even Ngons are welcome on flat surfaces if they help, since I can see you're trying to keep everything quads and that could the problem.

Also, did you do a Reset XForm on the mesh and check to see if your TurboSmooth has Isoline Display disabled? If Turbosmooth doesn't give 'clean' results at level 1 or 2, then you need to refix the mesh I'm afraid, and while Display Isoline is useful for seeing where your loops of the low poly, once you collapse it, it will break your model and can cause even nasty cuts in your flat surfaces.

Another tip, always use one light in scene to check the mesh normals and as RenderHJS said, check the gamma. In Max 2012, the Nitrous Viewport has the nasty habit of giving Falloff/Normal pinching effects on mesh's which are perfectly fine. So pop in an Omni light and see if the model still has problems with that (or you can revert back to DX9).

For the AO, you simply bake it just like the Normal Map. For quick test, use Ray sample between 32-64, for Medium, 128-256, and if you want high end, go for 512+ (although for game quality, depending on size of textures, 128 and 256 will serve you just fine).
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Although my opinion is you don't really need to retopo anything. Just pop in a cylinder in the scene, make a hole in the middle, and line it up as closesly to the mesh as you can so that it covers the high poly, unwrap it and bake it.

In Halo, The tires on the warthog are quite a bit more high poly than a cylinder, and I am trying to mimic that as my reference while changing the tread pattern. A cylinder would look kind of bad, no?

Also, I would suggest fixing up the inner part of the tire. Those faceted parts aren't helping you.

Not sure what part you are reffering to/how to fix.
    Also, did you do a Reset XForm on the mesh and check to see if your TurboSmooth has Isoline Display disabled? If Turbosmooth doesn't give 'clean' results at level 1 or 2, then you need to refix the mesh I'm afraid, and while Display Isoline is useful for seeing where your loops of the low poly, once you collapse it, it will break your model and can cause even nasty cuts in your flat surfaces.

I did not use turbo smooth, So I have no clue what most of that meant. In fact all i did was hit tessalate twice, used mesh smooth, then manually sellected and delete all the extra edge loops, it took FOREVER. Thats probably not the best way, But I am a newb, I need tips and suggestions and practice. Can you link me to a guide on how to make smooth high poly edge loops that only leave the required loops for silhouettes?
    For the AO, you simply bake it just like the Normal Map. For quick test, use Ray sample between 32-64, for Medium, 128-256, and if you want high end, go for 512+ (although for game quality, depending on size of textures, 128 and 256 will serve you just fine).

I've never baked a map in my life. Any good guides?
  • renderhjs
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    if its any good for generating normals...
    no
    Is that weird triangle crap on the edge
    Tri is one of your problem . but most of the pinch come from uneven cylinder segment.. also there is no need to chamfer any edge for this kind of object. doing it only makes your work harder.
    my smoothing groups messing up?
    you're not supposed add a smoothing group on high poly model.
    Should that be made as a free floating element?
    The whole piece need to be a single mesh/element.
    When do modelers decide to split the model, whats the criteria?
    If the object IRL made from several pieces.

Can't speak for everyone though, actually you can make the inner rim seperated element to save time. But no guarantee the inner rim will aligned perfectly with the outer part.

Also, post this on how you model dem shape thread. along with your reference ( if you have any )
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I've never baked a map in my life. Any good guides?

OK, that sums up the problem, you're new to this, so I can see why you're having problem, don't worry, it's not hard to get on it.

Here are some tutorials on to get a hard surface modeling going on:

Tire: http://eat3d.com/free/modeling-tire-3ds-max

Support Loops: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/3d_cg_vfx_modeling_autodesk_3dsmax_subdivision_smoothing/

A bunch of stuff you might wanna look at in spare time: http://vimeo.com/user3618217/videos

Again, another video on idea of HS modeling: http://vimeo.com/10941211

Warthog from Halo 2: http://legacy.the-junkyard.net/images/vehicles/halo2/oxm-warthog.jpg

Warthog from Halo 3+: http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/b/b0/Halo_Reach_Warthog.png

The wheels in Halo 3 are nothing more then a cylinder with the appropriate edges 'popped' out to give it more definition. If they went into more detail, especially for the X360, it simply wouldn't be feasible.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ace, those should help a lot.

Also, perna, I made one tread pattern entirely flat with box modeling and used clone, bend and weld to make it round. Then I used a FFD 5x5x5 to stretch the sides down into a tread shape. It was otherwise a flat halo shape.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    perna wrote: »
    I've seen the "model flat then bend" workflow described earlier, and your example confirms my earlier comments that in general that's a really bad way to work. It really doesn't make sense. If you were instead to start with a relatively dense cylinder and simply cut and extrude you wouldn't get the shading problems that are all over your mesh. Give that a try and see how it goes.

I dont get your argument here perna. Both methods if done well will result in a good tyre, but modelling flat is far more intuitive. I hate disagreeing with you because your scarily good at being right all the time, why are you so against deforming a flat model?

personally i would do this by modelling it flat and path deforming to a circle.comvining this with an ffd can help removing distortions.

Computron, your wash out problems are because your using PNG files. they have an inbuilt gamma profile which doesnt allways get treated correctly.
    Just use JPEG :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how to word this, but how is the eat3d guide you suggested not modelling flat? Do the grips on the tread only get placed in a circualar patern around the cilinder, rather than stretched/bending their respective verts about an axis?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, another video on idea of HS modeling: http://vimeo.com/10941211

Thanks for this video, very informative for turbosmooth and SubD modeling in general.