Home General Discussion

Demo Reel Tips

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
Ok I'm going to make myself a demo reel but I don't know too much about whats good and whats not in a demo reel. Are there any things to stay clear of? Whats the best length? How many items should be shown(obviously only your best work) Do things like fancy titles and transitions make the reel stand out or just get in the way? Any links to reals that are well done would be great, and not just the content but the presentation. Also, I believe copyrighted music is ok to use, as long as there is credit given, is that right?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Demo reels are really only for vfx and animators. If you wanna include a youtube video of a fly through of an environment, go right ahead, but put it after the screen shots. No one wants to sit through a 2 minutes video when they can scroll through your work in 20 seconds.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Zacd

If you're absolutely dead set on making a reel, don't have long title intros and slow dramatic pans - this isn't a movie, you're showing off your work, not your camera work and logo design.

As far as music, use fairly unobtrusive like ambient soundtrack stuff. If I hear Drowning Pool I'm going to reach through the internet and attack you like a spider monkey.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I second ZacD, only if you are an animator or VFX should you focus on this. I don't remember the last time i watched a demo reel for an env artist.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you really wanted to have some videos in your portfolio, I'd see it up like this; multiple screen shots and textures, and then a short simple video at the end, no texture, no fluff, no music, like this, well this one may be a bit long, you get the feel after 20 seconds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVHMYWVVrA
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Don't make a reel. Take the time that you were going to invest in putting together the reel (which is a substantial amount of time) and make another portfolio piece.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Pseudo wrote: »
    Don't make a reel. Take the time that you were going to invest in putting together the reel (which is a substantial amount of time) and make another portfolio piece.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    What about Char artists?
    Same thing applies?
    TBH Id like not to have to make a new demo reel but I notice several expirienced guys do them
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your website shows mainly characters so if it's a charcter showreel... make sure to mind which order you choose. Obviously your strongest piece first. Don't include anything you think is weak even if you don't have many models.

Length, keep it short, 2-3mins maybe.

Try to include breakdowns, wires, different passes etc.

My personal opinion is too leave out credits, which I never see in pro's reels, things likes thanks to mum dad, teachers O_0

Use royalty free music, bear in mind everyone has different tastes

Also, maybe obvious, but make sure your contact info is there at the end of the reel, maybe even keep it at the bottom corner, in case the recruiter can't wait for it to finish to contact you >:p

You don't need fancy titles that stand out, what should stand out is your work ^^
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Echoing everything here. Still shots, easy to navigate website, done.

That being said, if you still plan on doing a demo reel...

1. If you must have music, no vocals, and something that fits with the combined style of your pieces.
    2. 1-2 minutes, at most. Keep watching it and find that sweet spot.
    3. Turnarounds should be well paced, not too fast, not too slow. Again, find the sweet spot.
    4. Show off your wires, flats, hp/lp, realtime, etc... just like you would with stills.
    5. No flashy transitions. Fade in, Fade out. Done.
    6. If you must put a title on every piece, put it in small print either above or below the piece while it's moving. Don't lead in with a single frame of "Character X" that sits there for 5 seconds. Same goes with specs, tri count, etc.
    7. Contact information at the start and at the end. Or, if you can work a border on the top or bottom with your contact information without intruding upon the pieces, that could also be a good alternative.

Good luck! :)
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    hhmmm it sounds like its more important to work on another portfolio piece than a demo reel, I just thought employers were looking for them.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i have no problem with environment demo reels ... as long as they're of watchable res and compression while still being quick to download, are scrubbable in QT player, do not have a credit list ("Music by Tool", oh fuck off, really), feature your own work distinctly and aren't just clips of the game (i'm looking at you here, ex-Pivotal artists) and pretty much what Geezus said.

its good to see environments move. They do, you know.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Most people I talk to and places that I've work we would never stay on a portfolio website long enough for a reel to load. And I'm not putting some strange DVD in my work computer. The effort and time that you would spend in After Effects, Nuke, etc putting a reel together just make another project. You can have links to vimeo/youtube versions of your pieces if windactored grass is important to you I guess.