Home General Discussion

Can I get some relocation advice? Also questions about Montreal

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
I accepted an offer for Gameloft Montreal and will be relocating there in the next few weeks. I'm psyched but also totally nervous cause I've never relocated before. So here are a few basic questions I have right now. Any other general relocation advice is welcomed! Also, yay jerb!

I want to get my computer to Montreal, what's the best way to do this? I'm thinking of stripping some of the parts out (hard drives, video card) and possibly stuffing them into my suitcase and then ship the computer case. I also want to ship my monitor.

What's a good, reliable shipping company to use?

Do I get hassled at the airport if I stuff a suitcase full of electronics? Like my PS3 and Xbox?

Montreal Questions:

What are some nice and safe areas to live in Montreal? What areas should I avoid?

Is it easy to get around Montreal without a car?

Thanks. Lastly, just saying hi to the other polycount Gameloft Montreal members, see you at work :)

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Don't get a car.

If you're working at Gameloft, then checkout living possibly in Mile End, or Plateau. If you want more of an 'english' speaking environment try going to NDG (a bit farther away but VERY nice).

You'll absolutely love the summer here. They're epic.

CONGRATS on the new gig!!!!

:D

BTW, you have to like Beer before they let you in this city.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    You can get a metro pass that works with both cards and bus transit so commuting isn't bad at all.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea when I was there for 3 months it was a blast and I didnt have a car at all, everything was pretty much within walking distance. only once did i have to metro it somewhere or cab it to a club or something. I go so used to it I sold my car when i moved back to van and have been saving an extra 500 bucks a month :D

for reference, i was living in old Montreal which is like 10 mins walk to the downtown core, and absolutely gorgeous! congrats on the gig man!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Don't get a car.

^ this..

there's no way you'd be able to handle the way people drive in Montreal.. its ridiculous.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    oh hello there! welcome the the crew! yay we got some more environment artist! and from vancouver? double yay!

btw, I dont think you will have prob if you bring luggage full of electronics,
    I brought my ps3 and pc back then when i was moving from vancouver to Montreal.

:)
    montreal is so easy to get around no worries :)
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    man, i want to move to montreal real bad. congrats on the job
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for all the replies and for the helpful information. I can't wait to be in Montreal and get some real sunshine. xvampire, see you at work!
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the new gig! Lots of awesome Polycounters up in Montreal too :)
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the team!

JacquesChoi is right about the "prime" areas you should be looking for. Also note that Gameloft is right outside the Rosemont Metro so you can live in quite a few places, just as long as they're close to the Metro. I'd definitely try for the Plateau or Mile End though.

Also regarding shipping in general. It doesn't really matter who you go with, just get your shipment insured! The guys who work at UPS really don't give a damn about what happens to your packages. No matter how well you pack or label them, at the end of the day, they'll be punting boxes around like beachballs.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    What's a good OEM or discount computer store in Montreal? That is like NCIX in Vancouver?
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    I'm new to Montreal as well. DO NOT DRIVE HERE, at least this summer. so much construction going on, it's very stressful. Plateau is nice, but more pricey (and dirty.. lots of tourists and partiers). It's a very fun city, put i miss the mountains of vancouver