Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

IchII3D (ART PIT)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
Basically a thread for me to dump all my started, unfinished and sometimes even finished jibba jabba to gain valuable crits and help!

This is what I have being making over the last few days.

corner_brick_wall02.jpg

corner_brick_wall03.jpg

corner_brick_wall04.jpg

Replies

• lloyd
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    lloyd wrote: »
    nope.avi

wtf?

Great stuff Ichii the damage to the bricks are nice and subtle enough they aren't too noticeable when tiled.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kaburan this is not even tiled..
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about it last night and I might tone down the major details, their depth almost looks like a gun blast of a small monster has taken a bite. Each aspect is on a layer so will do some tweaking tonight. I'm thinking of also sorting out the mortar as it currently feels a little flat and almost like someone has pored custard into the cracks.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I actually think that it needs more subtle noise. You already have some of it, but bricks are very noise when you think about it. Though, i don't know how well that would bake..

Other then that i think it looks good!
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick update screenshot of the my first pass on the normals and ambient occlusion bake, 2048x2048 currently.

I currently want to punch myself in the face for not noticing the mortar is slightly to thick... but would love to get a second set of eyes on it.

Thanks.

corner_brick_wall05.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the cement part is not lookin too nice. but the bricks are awesome.
  • RockeTTime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i THINK you need a little more noise on the cement part, smaller noise i mean, take a look at this!

http://www.texturetake.com/textures/full/redbrick.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did my detail map this morning, will probably start working on the diffuse tonight, although my detail map will probably change right at the end. Its mainly on the model to make sure everything is tiling properly and it all fits into place.

@letronrael when I read your first comment, I was like huh? Lets just say, their was one mighty face palming this morning. I can't believe I did that :P

corner_brick_wall06.jpg

corner_brick_wall07.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get many effects artists on here, but if their is I would love to get some crits on some effects I have being working on recently. I will make some videos when its more... together. The aim is to finish up with a generic car explosion.

I sampled my base from one of those explosion DVD's then just fixed it up into a more... round solid effect. Looking to get into FumeFX down the line when I have some more free time.

explosion_medium_jpg.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I like where the bricks are going, Watch out for that seam in the detail normals though.
  • Tom3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom3D polycounter lvl 8
    it looks like there might be a seam on the left hand side of the latest brick image
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't figure out what the hell that was caused by, I checked the texture in Photoshop and it doesn't have one, it might be happening when down ressing the texture from PSD to TIF quality. Has anyone else ever had that happen with a normal map before? I will have to try and fix it this evening.

I'm currently fighting with a 17 million poly model in max with only 4GB of DD2 RAM... ick...
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    The UV's border is probably overlapping a bit.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to sort out the detail seam, because my PSD is 2048x2048 I couldn't see any issue, but I decided to just go ahead and pretend to get rid of an invisible seam and it disappeared! Must have being a tiny line of pixels I couldn't see.

I did a quick pass on my base colours and general surface types, will do a character pass on it tomorrow to make it look less like a bland wall. Now that I have diffuse colour also my specular is ramped right down so it looks slightly flat at the moment.

Oh I have also downed the resolution to a more realistic PC texture, so using 1024x1024 now instead of 2048x2048.

corner_brick_wall08.jpg

corner_brick_wall09.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave the bricks a character pass to make them feel a little more interesting as well as did a quick specular. Its nearing a more complete state so going to move onto some other parts of the very simple scene I have planned. Then come back to do a final pass towards the end of the mini project.

corner_brick_wall10.jpg

corner_brick_wall11.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    loving it dude !
    i really like this
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Your bricks are looking good, but they're a little too shiny. Bricks are very dull in reality. Right now it's looking less like brick and more like ceramic.

Good work, so far, though.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few more beers down and a bit more time tweaking, I'm still not happy with it myself. I feel its lacking something but I can't really put my finger to it. It seems a little flat to me, possibly I need to work in the edges of the bricks and add more colour and variation to the mortar. Not sure...

Although I think I might move onto my new project tomorrow, will probably have a pre vis up sometimes this weekend.

Thanks for all the support and feedback so far guys, its been a great help.

corner_brick_wall12.jpg

corner_brick_wall13.jpg

corner_brick_wall14.jpg