Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Kristof Minnaert, Character Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maph polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I've been working for the past 5 years (3 of which as a lead) for a small independent dev working on not so interesting stuff, and I'm finally taking the final plunge to start looking for other work, preferably in the Character field!
I'm quite proficient in all things technical, and I know I'm not a bad artist; but I feel my portfolio is quite substandard, and I could totally have some pointers on how to improve it, what characters I should ditch from site and what to add, presentation and site layout pointers, etc...

Thanks in advance!

http://www.maphart.com/

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really like your work Kristof. Your long rectangular thumbnails on the main page I think show the badassery of your pieces. You might want to either pick different thumbnail angles of adjust the size so the thumbs look amazing.

Also having multiple thumbs for each piece seems a bit much. Like char A thumb then it links to a bunch of images of char A.

I think that's just web design stuff and not a character critique. I think your newest work is pretty great. Just keep at it.
  • Obliteracure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Kristof, that scarecrow is awesome! Those beauty shots really help sell your work. I don't necessarily think you should ditch any characters especially if there from real games. I think it shows good variety of character style.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your work man nothing to crit on your work
    but your website i would like to see the portfolio without the sidebar. so you can have the full width of thumbnails
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah Maph I think I've already told ya but your work is pretty dope :)

Portfolio looks good. I agree about the thumbnails not showcasing your textured work as good as you can get em.

Hope ya find a character gig man, we'll all make it someday! :D
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work is quite nice, although I think the site's design could really need some work.

You got a modern background and header, while the wrapper is more vintage (with the torn edges and coffee stains and stuff). Both approaches are perfectly fine of course, but you should stick to one as it at the moment feels very incoherent.

Try hitting up Webcreme for example, if you need some inspiration :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Maph - great stuff as usual!- I agree the web design seems disjointed -choose one- personally I like the cleanliness of the modern grey background.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Love the work, bro. That elephant man is my favorite!!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool work man i like the site, but at least in firefox, once i full-sized an image i couldn't undo it, might wanna take a look at that if its not just me. again ace work, love the scarecrow it came out great!

-Woog
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers for the pointers guys. I know the site is a tad schizophrenic and I'll fix that for sure!
    woogity: Do you mean the lightbox overlay? Just click on the image to close it then. :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I really like your stuff man, that scarecrow was one of my fave comicon entries! I don't know about that elephant character though, I feel like it doesn't stack up compared to your mortal combat entry and scarecrow. nice stuff overall though!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    The elephant guy is the first one to go, to be replaced with this guy when he's finished (sometime this week) TexturingWIP001.jpg

Dustin: yip! I got that comment a lot. So I'm fixing that right now (see picture above, and there's a whole body attached to that guy :)). From now on out, I'm only sculpting demons, monsters and realistic humans.
  • danshillair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how it looks. My only comments are the two separate style with the site header/body/etc. Also, (it would take some real-state) adding some separation between characters might be nice. For example, a horizontal line, or some space between scarecrow, your Brawl entry, and so on.

I love your work. I'm rooting for ya!
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
    I like the skintones on the guy, are they made from photomaterial or handpainted ?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for the late reply Roepetoepa! The textures are made using a combination of hand painting and photo reffing. I made a base paintlayer, photorefs on top at normal blending and 50%-ish fill, with the same paintlayer on top of that but using linear burn on a very low fill.

Either way, portfolio update #1!
    I updated my website with a slightly new layout, better art layout, removed the side and search bars, some font changes, etc...
    Let me know what you think!
    Next up, I'll be updating the actual content on there!

[click the image]
    Sitepreview.jpg

And thanks so much for the support guys! Much appreciated. :)
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    portfolio looks good, but 1 thing bugging me is the rendering of your deadwood guy. From what I can see, it looks like his difuse is set to 100% opacity, and theres no lights showing off any of his normal detail or anything like that, making him look quite flat. Your website looks good though, and your characters are great, I'd maybe wait and add 1 more before you're ready to roll
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Yip, the shots from Al are all unlit 100% diffuse, should have mentioned that somwehere. But those will change either today or tomorrow. I need to get him finished before the 24th, so expect some in-engine shots soon!