Home Technical Talk

Bathroom Tiles

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I know I know, when you read the title you probably went to the wiki preparing to copy and paste the Bathroom tiles tutorial link.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this may seem like a really dumb question, but I'm just trying to learn here :\. Reading the bathroom tiles tut, it tells me to place a grout plane and a bake plane. Now I'm assuming they are just regular planes, and I know how to place them, but just for future reference purposes, what EXACTLY are they for, and what would happen if I didn't place them.

Replies

• Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    You should probably read up on baking a little. I was trying to explain but it was kinda hard. Haha.

Basically the bake plane is like a "camera" that will render out a texture from what it "sees" onto the UV coordinates it has set. You don't have to use a plane but for a normal flat tiling texture you'd be using a square plane.

The grout plane is just so there's actually something inbetween the tiles. If you are just rendering a normal map then you don't really need it since most renderers will fill in the gaps with the right normal color for flat objects. Uh... but I wouldn't make it a habit to skimp out on things that take you 10s to put in :D
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Kawe has replied with the meat of it.

Just to add: For grout (the white adhesive you see between bathroom tiles), all you really need is a plane (or strips) as big, or slightly bigger, than the area you're trying to bake into your texture. Maybe apply a bit of noise bump to it, either with a procedural material (if your app has them), or with a quick noise texture, just to add some slight surface variation.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Oh alright. So in the bathroom tiles case, the plane would essentially be my low poly model, and the tiles that I modeled would be the high poly detail that I would be baking onto the low poly? I think that's what your saying.

And yea I figured the grout plane had something to do with that. So should the tiles and the grout plane be one object? Thanks for the responses by the way. = )
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    What 3D app are you using? :)
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    No need to have it all one object. You can choose whichever multiple high poly objects you want to affect your bake in the baking options.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    alright actually I do need help with the tiles themselves. I must be retarded. Am I supposed to get this result? (Using 3Point Shader Lite)
    haaaalp.jpg

Its very hard to see.
    This is on a flat plane by the way.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Right, so add more depth to the high-res tile models, by scaling them vertically. Or you can do it in Photoshop by squeezing the Levels and re-normalizing, using the Overlay trick, etc.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Alright so I think I did it, although I went into UDK and it didn't look nearly as good as it did in 3ds Max, but I think that has to do witht he Spec and Diffuse. Anyway heres what I got:
    ididit.jpg

There are just some issues with the normal I found. Should I just re render and see if they are still there?
    sotra.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Looks like you don't have enough pixels in your output bitmap.

Because this is a tiling bitmap, it is better to render only a 3x3 or 4x4 grid of high-res ceramic tiles, and make that into a tiling map. That way you have more pixels for each ceramic tile.

Edit... in okkun's tutorial, he hasn't set up his bake plane properly. At least, not properly enough to make a tiling normal map.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    so what are you saying I should do. is there a tutorial on doing in that way? or am I just gonna have to play around and figure it out

I'm trying to get my tiles as good as Jordan Walker's are on his bath house. I know it's gonna take practice but that's what I'm aiming for.
    3.jpg
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Scizz wrote: »
    so what are you saying I should do. is there a tutorial on doing in that way? or am I just gonna have to play around and figure it out

I'm trying to get my tiles as good as Jordan Walker's are on his bath house. I know it's gonna take practice but that's what I'm aiming for.
    3.jpg
    The stuff that is making his tiles look really nice is not the modeling or normal map, it is the engine he is using and all of it's handy dandy tools. He is using UDK btw
  • Eric Chadwick
    To make it tilable, make the bake plane only as wide as the # of tiles you want in your map, plus a little extra. The little extra is needed so the bake plane will end exactly in the middle of the grout between two tiles.
  • Mark Dygert
    Also another thing to keep in mind is how your mesh will be viewed. If you look at your grout from the side you want to slope the edges a bit so they are captured properly, if they are perfectly straight then there is a good chance there won't be much captured and you get a weak normal map.

ProjectionMissedRays.jpg
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @ Orgoth02 Wow, this thread does make me look dumb. haha. I appreciate the help tho. I am completely aware that is the unreal engine and I've actually been using UDK longer than I have Max. I'm planning on importing the tiles in UDK for an environment I'm working on.

@Eric Alright I'll try that. I did notice in Jordans material set up there were just 4 tiles so I'll see how that goes.

@Max I don't quit get what your saying. I'll try it though, I'll make a flat plane that will be my grout, then in between the tiles ill add some edges and just bring them down a little bit. Well see how that goes.

Thanks so much guys I hope I can get this right.
  • dreadsnipa
    Sorry to sort of steal your thread, but Ive been wanting to make some tiles but I never got around to it. When I saw this thread it inspired me to actually do it. And I just wanted your guys opinion and crits on mine so far:
    tilesq.png
  • Mark Dygert
    NormalMapBeveledSlope.jpg
    If the sides of your grout trench are not sloped you run the risk of not capturing the sides and the normal map comes out flat or just captures a few pixels. It also helps if you bevel the edges of your tiles a bit to help capture that change in angle.

When the projection rays hit the surface its looking for angled differences, not necessarily height. The slope in the sides is what helps capture the depth.

This height oversight in the projection rays, is what allows you use floating geometry and saves you from having to heavily edit your high poly mesh for tiny details. These floaters need that parallel lip so they blend into the surface and render smoothly.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, so what I'm getting out of this thread is that the ways you guys are telling me how to approach this is the right more efficient way, and the tutorial on the wiki is kinda old. So I did my way and my normals came out pretty good, but for the diffuse, should I remove the skylight I used to generate the normals and the re-render to texture? Then add detail in photoshop?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Ok, so what I'm getting out of this thread is that the ways you guys are telling me how to approach this is the right more efficient way, and the tutorial on the wiki is kinda old. So I did my way and my normals came out pretty good, but for the diffuse, should I remove the skylight I used to generate the normals and the re-render to texture? Then add detail in photoshop?

The tutorial is actually very good. It's just not a tutorial about making a tiling texture, it's a tutorial about making a great normal map for bathroom tiles. :)

You used a skylight to generate a normal map? That doesn't make sense.

There are many ways to create ambient occlusion, which can be a good addition to your diffuse texture. Bathroom tiles wouldn't use much in the way of occlusion though, too shallow.
  • Mark Dygert
    The tutorial works great. It's a good tutorial to use. It works because the edges of the tile are rounded and you get some nice angle variance. I'm not suggesting to do it another way but shining a light on why some areas on your normal map will appear weaker, its because they approach a near 90 degree angle and there isn't enough disparity between the angles for it to capture.

Also like Eric pointed out the tutorial doesn't really address tiling, but there are a few ways to fix that. One being on the model itself and the next being to fix it in photoshop or run it through bitmap2material which "could" fix the tiling for you (or make a mess).

I would opt to fix it on the model, I would tile the mesh around the edges using the symmetry modifier that is offset to tile instead of slice/mirror. And make any adjustments I needed to make to the seam, tile the mesh one more time, and bake only the center tile with all the other tiles in place.

Also it helps to exaggerate the depth of your tiles and roundness (and slope) of the tiles. For example when making a tile I would put a Taper modifier on it to give the tile a slight pyramid shape, before duplicating it around. That way you get a nice rounded edge and a good slope with good depth.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    OK. I worked on the tile models, read some things on here and just some different general tiling texture articles. This is what I got:
    awwyeahh.jpg

I made a master material, so what you see is close to what I'm going to have on the floor of my envioronment. I just need to learn to vertex painting crap to change it up.
    Heres the material. I just tried to make it as close to Jordan W's because I liked his results and what you can do with the material. I made the texture from a photo from CG Textures.
    thanksjordan.jpg

• Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry, forgot to post the textures:
    mastertiletexturesheet.jpg

The original isn't actually used in the actual material, I just wanted to show the difference between that and the diffuse. I just clone stamped the tiles to clear out all those cracks in my diffuse then desaturated it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I just clone stamped the tiles to clear out all those cracks in my diffuse then desaturated it.

This is the biggest reason why it's so dead and lifeless. You need wear and tear!
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to use some vertex painting tricks to tear it up in some spots. I just felt that the original had way to much detail to be in the diffuse, and I want the tiles to look generally smooth. But as far as the tiles themselves, not the details, how do they look? = )
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    http://www.vimeo.com/23980967
    so i made this a few weeks ago for some people in my one of my classes. I know youve got a material down but you might be interested. its no big deal and its not really supposed to even be a tutorial but i thought i would share :P (Y)
  • Eric Chadwick
    I'm going to use some vertex painting tricks to tear it up in some spots. I just felt that the original had way to much detail to be in the diffuse, and I want the tiles to look generally smooth. But as far as the tiles themselves, not the details, how do they look? = )
    They look dead and lifeless. :)

Because it's all just gray... the grout and the tiles. The tiles are also all the same color. I'm comparing yours with your inspiration... Jordan's tiles.

dreadsnipa's tiles have some nice color variation, and the grout is a different color than the tiles (same thing with Jordan's grout).

Hard to crit with just the normal map & spec map.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wow, spec is boring, tiles are all about the spec, the floor looks 100% clean. Any dried liquid would affect the secular and gloss, go crazy with it and push the specular farther.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Imperfection = Perfection.

Here are some stuff you should read up on:

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UT3_Add_variation_to_repeating_textures_Tutorial.html

For the Spec, do a high pass from unclean textures which have scratches, dent's, and fingerprints on them.

Add detail map to the normal.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    fingerprints on them.

haha guess was thinking to myself why would anyone touch the floor then realized it :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    haha guess was thinking to myself why would anyone touch the floor then realized it :P

Oh you...
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    K. Updated my tiles a little, still working on it.
    updatedtiles.jpg

Probably gonna start building my scene with some assets. Then adjust the tiles with some vertex painting and stuff. and make it dirty in specific areas.
  • Eric Chadwick
    This is getting better. Keep going!

The edges of your tiles look like they flatten out, but real tiles don't do this. That should be grout instead.

If the wall is going to be that damaged, the floor will be damaged as well. Default wall texture I guess. But showing that you can make damaged assets is a good thing to have in a portfolio piece.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    thanks! =). Yeah that wall was just for testing purposes. I'm going to start designing my actual wall and other assets soon. The idea is that this place is abandoned so yeah its gotta look old and beat up. = )
  • Mark Dygert
    That spec is looking a lot better.

The lowest part of the tile in the grout trench is catching a lot of light for some weird reason, not sure why that is, but its throwing things off. Normally you want some gunk and AO where the tile meets the grout.

I think your high poly model needs to be roughed up a bit, wear down some of the sharper edges like the corners and maybe even sub-divide them a few times and add a noise modifier to give the surface of each tile a bit more character. Once you get the high poly rockin along you can use it to bake out some AO and cavity maps that will help you push your spec map over the top.

To help show age in the overall building messing up the straight lines of a tile floor is a great way to go. It doesn't have to be drastic but some famous examples like the floor in Ratatouille come to mind.

It can also help to change the hue/sat on a few tiles like they are newer or older. This shows some upkeep was done at some point and just adds another layer of history to your scene.

Also depending on how complex you want to make your floor mesh and how complex you want to make the material/shader you could add even more randomized damage like missing tiles or grunge/damage that tiles differently than floor tile does so it repeats less often.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I have been working on reproducing his tiles too, rather than start a new topic I will just post my results here. I feel on my slightly damaged tile it may be too unique so it will be too obvious it is tiling.

6RxDrvK
    mOc1EOF
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    how are u able to control the patterns? I can only have one pattern at a time.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I have two different materials set up for the different patterns. I used a lerp to change where the colors are making it look different. exampleb.png