Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finishing the fight! Post-BRAWL with Duck King

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
Finally getting around to work on this. Got busy during the comp, but I definitely want to finish it up and move on. He is, of course, a futuristic Duck King.

First we have the hi-poly in its current state. Still have several things to refine and finish, but looking to get it done this weekend. Screenshot out of Mudbox.
dk_hipoly.jpg

Then we have his little mechanical ducky friend. This will deploy out of his belt buckle and emit more lights to aid in funky dancing!
duck.jpg

Crits welcome as always!

Whoops, here's my original concept so you know where I'm going with all the colors:
dk_concept.jpg

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I like the design of the character!
    Wait to see more! :)
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The first thing I noticed was that his armor/suit doesn't look very flexible. Overall, the design looks very cool, but seems clunky and unpractical. I don't get why it is built the way it is. Does the yellow material bend? If not, he wouldn't be able to move his arms.

How do those sunglasses work? It looks like a solid plastic ring around his head.

Looking at some other images of this character, I'd say that it might be better to have his hair longer and flowier.
    http://images.wikia.com/snk/images/f/fb/250px-King.jpg
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    i love this entry. his pants are the shit! and i agree about the hair, make it flow man!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jtm, valid questions. Things like the glasses will have seams to denote that they have some level of adustability. I decided against adding any type of external clasping mechanism to keep it clean. The shirt material is actually a forcefield which is emitted by the metal bands and will bend like a normal shirt would essentially. These would ideally be animated to show a cool holographic effect.

Also, my original brawl thread had the hair as a polarizing factor. :) You guys have forced my will and I like it. Long enough?

dk_hair.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Looking killer. I like colors you've chosen. The yellow stuff looks a lot more lasery now :)

I'd add yellow chunks to the hair as well. Right now it only has a slight yellow frosting.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Striker, megal, and jmt. Yellow chunks are on the agenda once I get to the hair. :) I've refined quite a few things on the hi-poly, and I think I'm about ready to move onto the low+baking. I'll take care of some of the seams/hardsurface details in photoshop.
    dk_high.jpg
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    fantastic, very cyberpunk design !