Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Benjamin Hall

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
benji polycounter lvl 7
www.benjaminhall.carbonmade.com

Please tell me what you think of the content I've got on here, plus any comments on the way it's laid out etc. Be brutally honest :)

I'm not sure about the dorky sketchbook scans I've got on there. I understand it's important to demonstrate artistic ability in a portfolio, but I feel I need something that doesn't look half-assed... some high quality life drawings (this will happen eventually, I'm taking a life drawing class in a few months)

Any ideas of what I should take out/leave in/add to it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mustang looks good model wise, but I think you could work some more on the rendering. I think that's one of your strongest pieces. So maybe make it second? The Uni project is your best piece, but it would be good to see more of the character? Or some accompanying textures and maps.

A good rule is, if you think it's dorky, others will too, so only put work in your portfolio you think will sell you at your best.

Hope that helps ^_^
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    If you're aiming for game development, it's better to present your models in real-time. It's a HUGE plus because people can see that you can integrate your stuff in a game engine and also, you won't be able to make rendering with mental ray or V-ray during the production.
    Here's some suggestions :
    - Marmoset Toolbag
    - Xoliul viewport shader
    - 3Point shader
    - Unreal Development Kit
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more information on each project would be nice, for example for the top piece your only comment is "university project". Would be nice to get some background information and how you went about making it.

I also agree with the above post about rendering techniques
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Tenchi that's very true, I've been meaning to re-render that piece for ages. But the fact that it's a Digital Tutors tutorial piece makes me think I should get rid of it, I'm afraid people will recognise it :poly122: I'd better make some modifications too!

megalmn thanks for those links - I've just started using UDK, but I have been meaning to get Marmoset for rendering purposes! It looks great.

Ryper that's a good point, thanks.
  • Un_Delincuente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_Delincuente polycounter lvl 6
    benji wrote: »
    Tenchi that's very true, I've been meaning to re-render that piece for ages. But the fact that it's a Digital Tutors tutorial piece makes me think I should get rid of it, I'm afraid people will recognise it :poly122: I'd better make some modifications too!

do you mean the actual model came with the tutorial or did you just used the same car/blueprints as the tutorial?
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Haha oh no, that would be just plain stupid. I modelled it, but it's pretty much identical to every other Mustang that's been done along with that DT tutorial, poly by poly.

I guess if I retopologised it, baked it for game-ready and made some original textures it would not be so bad. Okay that's going on my to-do list!