Home Technical Talk

Generating game geometry with simple photographs

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
My buddy Joe Drust just posted this video up on Facebook. It's just like what the title says. Pretty phenomenal. I imagine this is the future of realistic game models and textures. He has a few more images of brick walls that he made on Facebook, but i'm not sure if I should make those public or not. Anyway, check it out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VebRhdQVY[/ame]

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    well it's kinda home made 3d scans. I've seen some attempts at it, but never a decent software.
    It could definitly be a good base like 3d scans are already, but it still requires a lot of work besides, to fix geometry and badly stretched/overlapped textures...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The time it would take for you to go outside, actually find what you're looking for, take the pictures, come back, upload them, get this model made, and then fix topology errors and other artifacts/issues... I think it would be best to just spend that time modelling it yourself.

You're still limited to things that actually exist too. Regardless, this is pretty neat, but I highly doubt it is the future.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought the same thing, but he said he did this really quickly and the textures were excellent for a diffuse map. I haven't seen wires, but he made it sound like the low res that it spat out could be game ready.

I totally agree it only works for things that can be photographed easily (a traffic light would be pretty hard for example), but there are quite a few things that can be photographed, and this looks much faster than having people build it and texture it (especially at this fidelity). I think it's just going to get easier and easier to do this. Could be wrong.

That's why I want to stick to fantasy and sci fi - things that don't exist in the real world. :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah i really see this like an helper to model some real guy head, or a real statue, or a virtual walkthrough in a real environnement. Sure it's specific, but it could be very useful. Gotta test photofly !
  • pior
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looking forward this seems like a perfect next step for reference librarys/texture bundles.
    Sites like 3D.sk should jump on this tech.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    he might have some good points but he has a wet mouth and he needs to shut the fuck up swallowing and licking his lips jesus christ what is it with this fucking shit.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty neat. Certainly could see its uses. Will have to give it a try later
  • dtschultz
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool...
  • ralusek
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    That above video demonstrates what I think would be some of the really useful instances where tech like this is a time and money saved. For small assets, tree stumps, cans, lightposts, yeah, it's not worth the effort - but I would think that with characters and buildings this has a lot of potential.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Uploading my test pictures atm ... I am excited like a giggling little girl haha

Okay first results : It doesn't like pointy spikes too much ; and using a lazy susan instead of turning around the object step by step seems to cause problems (I suppose because of the improper landmark in the background hehe)

Gonna try again!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Saw this earlier, pretty badass. Might try it out someday.
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for that note, pior...was kinda hoping that spinning the model would
    work (for lack of space to walk around everything), but I guess not so
    much. :(

ah well. (runs off to create a big tent-like circular structure to bounce
    uniform light around and occlude background elements)
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    ahh cool stuf, not sure how I missed this thread. I did a quick test head with photofly here.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85608
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloaded it last night, going to give it a try this weekend. Good thing I just bought a new canon rebel :) Just have to decide what object to do first. So many possibilities. Its too bad that it doesn't do Shiny or transparent objects though, because it would be great to use for something like cars. Maybe you could do it if you covered the car in mud first. lol

I think if you were going to photograph it on a lazy susan you would have to 1) make sure the object is perfectly centered and 2) you would need a completely neutral background such a white wall with no shadows on it. That would be my guess anyway
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    My bet is you need to have variety in the background and not neutral, so the soft could composite the pic the right way (like Stitcher)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    tried it with a bike helmet, worked perfectly :)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man. shit like this is just amazing. i can imagine a small indie studio can make so much use of this for character heads.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better for faces: http://www.facegen.com/

The video on the page doesn't do it justice. The generation from photo features are very powerful. This + make human, what else could you need?

Skip this one to like 3 minutes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOFWaA7Q2Q[/ame]
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    better for faces: http://www.facegen.com/

The video on the page doesn't do it justice. The generation from photo features are very powerful. This + make human, what else could you need?

Skip this one to like 3 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOFWaA7Q2Q

quicker perhaps, but this isnt going to beat a real scan. In that example the likeness dissapears when the texture is gone.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    we used facegen some years ago (against my will) and it is horrible. Bad topology, low res textures, the faces look all the same and really not accurate. Just don't use it. A 3d scan/photofly + a reprojection on a clean mesh and a bit of fixing in zbrush would be a clever choice.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea...facegen looks pretty ...generic.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, how long does it usually take you guys to process and create a scene? with how many photos?

i did one with 19 photos and it still hasnt emailed me back.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you are actually better off just clicking the "wait" button- the draft pass is really quick, and the highres refinement is not too long either. It shows a progress bar, plus it doesn't eat any computer resources anyways, as this is all cloud-computed ...

There are definitely a few rules to good captures. First off, you do need a background with clear geometrical landmarks ; also, a lazy susan wont work at all as it will see the scene as a fixed camera with a moving object in front of it.

I tried it with video capture exported as a 3 FPS image sequence and it gave very good tracking too.

As far as how many pictures are needed, I think its mostly a matter of constantly checking the screen of your camera and ask yourself if details from one picture to the next overlap enough...

I am also under the impression that taking 2 pictures under the same angle might be confusing the program, but I am unsure about that one.

Oh and obviously, you need to avoid overhangs and/or thin details sticking out (as on the laces below. I actually left them on on purpose, to see it would break the process and it did :D )

First images show the Photofly draft and the final mesh at 100% self illumination. Then some Max screenshots and scanline renders, hole filling in meshlab, and Zbrush reproject after adding some geometry for the bottom sole.

sneaker-1.jpg

I think the best use for such captured objects would be integration within matte paintings / projected scenes since 100% self illuminated objects work well within such circumstances as far as I know.

Loving this!!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good pior.

but FML i cant get this shit to work at all for me. ive tried like 15 different objects, inside, outside, different cameras. i tried putting down papers on the floor as ref points. the best result i got was a skewed model that looked really bad.

i dont know what the hell im doing wrong, but it seems like every time i try it, the god damn thing gets stuck at 1% after it uploads. doesnt matter if its 4 photos or 30 photos.

i feel like theyre touting this "cloud computing" bullshit over the actual technology. i dont give a damn if theyre using amazon cloud servers, i want to process this shit on my own computer so i can accurately tell if its working or not.

but the real reason they wont let you do that is not because its easier to process in the cloud, this is a tech demo and they probably dont want people dissecting the software so they keep it to themselves.

edit: god damnit. i even used patterend sheets on the floor. still nothing. even when it doesnt get stuck at 1% and it finishes, it doesnt give me a mesh, just a collection of photos plastered in the air creatin this weird floating cloud effect

/hungover rant
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty awesome, definitely going to try this
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Im not sure if processing power is the real reason for the cloud computing part of it - but I certainly appreciate that it is virtually bug-free and faster to develop and maintain since they don't have to worry about different videocards, and so on...

Anyways - maybe posts a few of your pictures here, there might be an obvious factor coming into play ?
    One thing maybe : at some point I captured my pictures in 720p format (for another video test) but it seemed like the app couldn't process them, probably because it was a crop from the native format of my camera's sensor. So maybe there's something there ?

As for patterns, I feel like the most important part is to have good geometry behind the object, but not necessarily on the floor. But who knows ...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You need to try using some fishing line as string :P how did you light the show, the diffuse looks great lighting wise.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive wasted a full day and probably more bandwidth than i should have on this already. never before have i felt so much joy at the thought of something followed by such utter disappointment than i have with this.

i finally got it to work after manually setting tracking points on like 30 images but the final highres model was so bad (random lumps everywhere) that it was unusable. (it was a ceramic dog).

eh, maybe ill try again next weekend.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    wow that shoe turned out great Pior. I must know your process.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take off shoe - put on cardboard box - take pictures :D

More seriously ... Im still not exactly sure why it sometimes works and sometime doesn't. I kind of suspect that the scale of objects might matter, regardless of how far or close one is (like, mesh density seems to be absolute, not relative... but im not sure)

Trying another test now, starting from an unfinished clay figure, then remesh, resym, and export to Mudbox :

BUSTTEST_small.jpg

Screw Zspheres and basemeshes! Let's use clay!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn that's cool.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Ha, Pior! You beat me to the video exported as image sequence idea. Good to see it works. Will be trying this as soon as current project wraps up.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool, Pior. SO you were able to remesh and then work off of that to push back out some of the definition you lost. As soon as I get done with a couple things, I am definitely going to have to give this a try. Even if you didn't want to use the diffuse, to get a basemesh that quickly is pretty awesome!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I'm curious, how many posting in this thread have actually worked with scan data in a production situation? If you have, what are your thoughts on it?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Firebert - I didn't use 3D scanning on a real production, but I have some experience with it. I tried the David home-made laserscanner, and the professional desktop scanner by Nextengine.

I actually got awesome surface quality out of David. It took a bit of tinkering but I eventually found a simple enough solution using a projector to bean an animated line on the object (instead of complex arduino-driven line lasers.) The swipes looked great, but assempling them together turned out to be problematic since even a medium distortion can cause them to not line up.

Nextengine is cool, but not the one click solution they claim it to be. Even tho it has a motorized turntable, it still performs discrete passes and then composites them together - with potential alignements problems too. The surface quality is marginally better than David's, but obviously it is much more practical to use. Their proprietary software for scan assembly suck tho.

All in one, I much, much prefer Photofly for my own use. The surfaces are lumpy and have holes, but at least it delivers a solid, 360 continuous mesh in one go. Scan data always has to be cleaned up anyways so yeah it definitely is my pick. Plus it worked perfectly fine at the scale I needed scans for (1/3 busts)

Good times!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, two more tests. First is a life size ... red human skull piggybank. Scribbled with chalk to help the calibration.

It worked, but still, lumps and spikes everywhere :
    redskull.jpg

Then I thought I could try the worse possible scenario and see what happens. Thats the most complex shape I could, with very fine texture detail. I took the photograps pretty much at random. Obviously it didnt get much of the complex hoops and topology weirdness of the horns and bones sticking out, but the surface detail of the captured areas turned out flawless :
    dinotest-1.jpg

So I think it all means that you need scratches and rake marks on a model to really make it work in Photofly. Painted surface detail might not be enough, but as soon as you have cracks and texture work then it seems very powerful. YAY! Oddly enough the proportions seem slightly squashed too - but nothing that cannot be fixed easily.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    About how many pictures did you take of either model?.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Fun stuff!

Here's my craptacular attempt, first 3 failed miserably. Done with shitty camera and equally shitty lighting conditions, 30-40 pics used. Had to manually stitch 1 to get a big portion of the pics to be used, it fixed a lot of missing areas tho. It's still a lumpy pile of crap, but seeing Pior's tests gives me hope :poly142:

spawnx.jpgspawnx.jpg
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    At first I was sceptical, but after checking out the tutorial it looks pretty damn amazing. (for some subject matter at least) Thanks!