Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook:Tehrobster2

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys , I will be using my sketchbook, To show of my current models and textures I am working on, and get you guys feed back and critiques on what I can do to push my textures and my models to the best that they can be. Here is what I am working on right now for a scene that I am putting together.

barrell.jpg
barelledge.jpg

Replies

• Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Hi i thought I'd leave a few crits.
    The proportions aren't corrert as those barrels tend to be a bit more longer, yours is abit wider than it should be. but that can easily be fixed by looking at refrence and and scaling it.
    Now if you are going to want it too look good then you might want to add a specular map and render it out because that will sell it. Have a look at this image (you haven't shown the top of the barrel but you should aim for something like the top of this picture) :
    55SteelComposite.jpg
    This is the sort of effect that you should be aiming for (specular wise), I have taken into acount that your barrel might have paint on it and in that case you will have to think about what kind of paint it is and how or how much it refects.
    On your barrel you seem to have spoltches of grey which makes me think you were trying to get a rust/scratch effect and if thats what your trying to get then you should know that paint dosent always tend to come off like that they tend to flake of. Here are some images that might give you an idear of details you can add to it and how they should look, remeber not to go to crazy with the scratches and think about where the barrel would most likely scratch.
    old-metal-drum-thumb17029463.jpg

3628497-rusty-metal-barrels-texture-detail-scratched-paint-and-rust-background.jpg
    this one is more what you might be looking for as its the same colour. look at where its rusted and notice the change in colore to the paint in those parts.
    I was also thinking of ways to make it look more interesting and thought you could add little bumps like ine the picture below:
    5368429307_15e85e7847.jpg
    hope I gave you some good feedback :P
    Keep going.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the tips! I shall use them! An update coming soon =)
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I took your suggestion and I modeled a new barrel and I am going to start working on the textures here soon, and have a new update with those =)
    barrelnew.jpg
    barrelnewtop.jpg
    barrelnewwire.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished with the diffuse, and then I will make the specular map =)
    updatebarell.jpg
    update2.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update to the Barrell texture
    update3.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently practicing Modular modeling, here is the thing I am currently building, I built it in the same fashion as the 3d motive tutorial where I build the texture first and then I build the model. There is currently not a lot of detail in the texture just yet, I want to get the basic texture done and then the model, and the go back and detail each part of the texture.

modulartes.jpg
    Modular_texture_mark2.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little something else I am working on =)
    1.jpg
    Test-1.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new update on the modular texture update1.jpg