Home Technical Talk

Edit individual mipmaps?

What should a person use to get at and edit individual mipmaps?

What I have tried/results at once:

If I load a DDS in PS and keep the mipmaps, it makes a whole image double wide (texture, plus another same size area with the mipmap steps to its right), so trying to save that will be a no-go cause I will end up with what I see in the screen.

Tried in gimp with the gimp dds plugin, If I load a dds in gimp, it all comes in as layers under the main image, cool for viewing, but trying to save results that it thinks that it's a volume texture, and refuses to save some changed mipmaps.

So how do you edit mip maps? For example, we have some road arrows for poly overlays (left turn only/right and straight, etc) that look okay up close, but due to the hard nature of their edges, they alias like mad on the first or second mip level.

I want to edit the mipmaps to be blurry and perhaps have no data at all in the deeper levels, just fully transparent to just drop them out of the scene that way before it gets to the point they are so tiny they are just a blob anyways.

Current needs aside, I need to know how to edit individual mip maps, and it has been a crap shoot trying to find something on the subject online. I can find people talking about their having to edit individual mipmaps, but never how they accomplished it.

Any help would be lovely and greatly appreciated PC, thanks!

Replies