Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Wasteland Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
hillside08.jpg
hillside09.jpg

This is still a very early WIP. Many assets are in their first sloppy revisions, but it's starting to come together now. I figured I'd make a thread to track my progress and get some early feedback on the layout and colors and whatnot.

All C&C is appreciated!

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I like what you have so far, but nothing really catches my attention right away. Are you gonna have points of interest? or areas that you want a little more focus on? The color palette that you have seems to me a little bland. Maybe some greens and purples will accentuate your env nicely and make it pop more. Some of the trees look kinda alienish, is that what you are going for? Overall i think this is a great start, a lot of potential here. I am looking forward to what you do with the scene.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    EDIT: Accidental double post.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I love the map, it reminds me of the level "Holdout" from Halo: Reach.
    It seems like you know where you are going so I wont point out the obvious like the seafoam, but maybe you could some dust floating in the air as well as sand blowing around on the rocks to make it look more sand-swept.
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    If you see the pire I have on the cliffs, that's one area the players will be marching up towards. It's just a placeholder at the moment, but I plan on having it ablaze with a large smoke stack.
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    You need to work on your particles. Try and place some subtle emitters all around, to add ambiance. In the first screenshot, there should be little dust particles in the air and whatnot. The smoke in the second looks really strange.

Great job on the modeling and texturing so far. I really look forward to seeing this scene complete!
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    hillside10.jpg

Updated my textures.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good so far. Those tree trunks/branches that are modeled out look way too thick to me though. Also the alpha branch doesn't match the bark texture well enough. The alpha needs to be lighter and possibly color balanced a bit. The smaller foliage is looking nice though.

I'm also not too sure about that ground texture with the large grey rocks in it. There aren't rocks that color anywhere else in the scene really and having them in highly concentrated random groups like that looks somewhat strange to me. Maybe if the rocks in it were slightly darker and smaller and placed mostly near the edge of the cliffs it'd look better. It might also be good to make a sparse pile in a decal or a very low poly model to place here and there to break to soft gradients of the terrain blending on it in spots. Other than those large rocks the ground textures are looking pretty good to me.

I'll be watching this thread! Looks like this scene will turn out nice.
  • ali31
    Nice textures, are they hand painted?
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    @ali31: Combination of hand painted, photo sourced, and good ol' texture baking.

hillside13.jpg

hillside14.jpg

Changed my lighting to be a little bit more red, fixed my tree planes, and adjusted the smaller rocks to match the rest. Next up, thorn bushes, more textures, smaller rocks mesh, and a few other things.

Greatly appreciate the feedback!