Home General Discussion

Windows 8

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Looks like they're trying too hard to make the ui hip instead of giving it new useful features (or bringing back ones they've removed).
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There doesn't really seem to be a want to fix/upgrade what's already released with software developers these days.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pointless. Looks like a tablet OS designed to compensate for the fact that windows 7 bombed on the slate.
    There doesn't really seem to be a want to fix/upgrade what's already released with software developers these days.
    It's hard to sell software on "hay remember all that shit that was broken? We fixed it. $399" The incentive is usually always to offer something new.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    some news said the win8 will support games on xbox360.... @_@
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to make any judgements before this comes out. I just think it is good to see them trying to push the pc os and not just copy os x.

Personally I think windows 7 is great. That being said there is no reason to go on a windows 8 hating spree. Nobody is forcing you to go to 8.

EDIT: I'm not saying that anyone here is being negative though.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    I'm not going to make any judgements before this comes out. I just think it is good to see them trying to push the pc os and not just copy os x.

I think it's funny you mention OSX because the entire time I was watching the video I thought "this looks like something Apple would do"
    That being said there is no reason to go on a windows 8 hating spree. Nobody is forcing you to go to 8.
    You asked for peoples thoughts, you had to have imagined some of them would be negative.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I didn't say anyone was going on a windows 8 hating spree. I worded what I said wrong. I was just saying that as showing my thought process I guess.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These features are all fine and dandy for those with touch-screens, but I don't want all that extra crap sucking up any of my processing power if I won't use it, no matter how little it takes. It's not a sell to me unless you can close that stuff and the OS is lighter.

On the bright side, the gui does look clean and usable for tablet PCs, and it feels a lot more original than the android gui.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The OS is suppose to be the same usage or lighter.
  • jib1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jib1337 polycounter lvl 9
    They need to stop trying to copy Apple/OSX- it's just embarrassing for them, their users, Apple and everyone involved.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hai guyz, still on XP over here.

Never gonn give you up!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Bibendum wrote: »
    I think it's funny you mention OSX because the entire time I was watching the video I thought "this looks like something Apple would do"

You asked for peoples thoughts, you had to have imagined some of them would be negative.

This is less like osx and more like windows phone 7. Nothing made me think apple in this video
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    UUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH brb i need to travel back to 1999 desperately

EDIT: looks like a great tablet os, looks like a terrible desktop pc os. i quite like microsoft's simplistic visual style though, nice and clean.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    hai guyz, still on XP over here.

Never gonn give you up!

If XP had DX11 and worked better with SSDs I never would have switched :(
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I like it it. It feels immediate.

I've not tried it, you've not tried it. It might work like a bag of shite, might have just reinvented the desktop UI into the most useable thing ever.

(I like Windows 7 too. I like OSX. I like ChromeOS. I like iOS. I like Ubuntu.)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    jib1337 wrote: »
    They need to stop trying to copy Apple/OSX- it's just embarrassing for them, their users, Apple and everyone involved.

Lets throw fuel on this fire! Anyone remember xerox before apple or microsoft?

Xerox_star_desktop.jpg

Anyways I like the new design push.. I wonder if they will have a non-touch UI design ready to ship with it though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    Lets throw fuel on this fire! Anyone remember xerox before apple or microsoft?

Anyways I like the new design push.. I wonder if they will have a non-touch UI design ready to ship with it though.

They have to have it, just about all applications made rely on the old style windows interface, so it'll look like regular old windows.

I guess I want to be interested, but so far they've shown me a feature equivalent of showing the new windows media player, completely unrelated to my interests as I will have it removed at install anyway.

But to be honest, for the regular joe and mrs. soccer mom, that video is the definition of an OS.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    looks clean, good for touch devices i guess.

But i dont get it for pc. @ 3:19 he goes back to show the standard windows menu. That destroyed the clean and crispness for me and took me out of the feel.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think it's quite funny that they spent so much time defining a clean (and in my opinion, quite gorgeous) visual style lately with the windows phone and now this ... and yet, their classic "file system" view still use the ugly triple-bevelled, transparent-but-not-too-much look.

Why can't they style that properly ? Its been so ugly since XP, Vista and Seven ... I just want a flat[\b], sleek interface that doesn't get in the way of doing things! (OsX is just as bad in my opinion. Blue Jell-O, really ?)

(B-cube beat me to it haha)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    This is less like osx and more like windows phone 7. Nothing made me think apple in this video
    It's Apple's obsession with touch devices that made me think that. Not that it's similar to OSX.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i really like the 2 screens thing.
    But next to that i think a pc as a wokstation shouldn't have too much BS going on.
    All i want it to do is run the apps i choose myself and run them as fast as possible.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this version will be horrible. wait for windows 9.

calling it now.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I love Windows7 and using that i cant see any reason to upgrade at the moment, lets hope direct X support for win7 doesn't drop like it did for XP (that would be the only reason to upgrade for me at the moment)

All that said, if everyone was happy to just stick with what we currently have and not innovate, we would still be on DOS i guess... so it can only be a good thing.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    So this is what happens when Bill Gates isn't around.

I honestly would rather use Vista pre SP1 patch then this for a PC. Seems like a cool sleek OS for a tablet or for those college kids that buy mac books because all they use them for is typing up papers, using the internet and browsing facebook. Seems to have no practical use.

And it seems (at least from the quick vid) that they really didnt change anything about the main part of the OS beyond slapping a touch screen only component on. How would you do all that stupid finger sliding with a mouse? Seems ridiculous.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    So long as there are good productivity features added and I can turn off all the flashy visual crap I'll be happy.

Please god dont make the start menu any bigger!!!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm happy with my Vista sp2 :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I new they'd get the store in there somewhere. They've gone app mad.

It a no thanks from me
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Staying with Windows 7 , thank you for the...offer...microsoft.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I really like Windows 7. To me, it's the best OS I've used (Including OSX).

I'm not too sure how the tablet features will run on a desktop, as using a mouse is a lot different than using a multitouch surface with your finger.

But, we'll see. Windows 7 reaffirmed my faith in MS. So I'll hold off with trying to form an opinion until I'm sat in front of it.

Lols to everyone already slating it. It hasn't been finished yet. It hasn't been released yet. You haven't used it yet. You're basing your opinion on a 4 and a half minute video showcasing just ONE of it's features.

Get a grip, eh?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a disaster so far.
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like they are gonna try to push Kinect onto the PC market.

They probably feel that future computing would go either on the big TV screen, or on the smaller touch screen devices.

If that does turn out to be the case, then the gesture enhanced UI would make sense.
  • nalwayv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hasn't been that long since windows 7 was released.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like Win7. It seems like a hot fix and service pack got together one night just to make me happy.

I think they're making some good progress with win8. Apple seems reluctant to throw everything out and start over and they sort of get locked into their original vision after a while, which is fine if you're re-imagining someones already locked vision (mp3 players, smart phones, desktop PC) but when youre blazing a new trail iOS, you need to be flexible nimble and stay ahead of the curve, and they just dont seem to be capable of that, so they're in a bit of a weak spot right now.

Now if you can get me a pressure sensitive wacom-esk touch desktop interface, that I can still work with a keyboard/mouse when needed, I'll be in heaven.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nalwayv wrote: »
    Hasn't been that long since windows 7 was released.
    I wouldn't expect it to be coming out any time soon unless their intention is to push it out onto tablets (in which case I would imagine you can expect to see it named something else)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    A BIG game changer under the hood that no one is addressing here. Is M$ has gone the opposite way of Apple somewhat. They are supporting both x86 AND ARM based processors.

No longer will you be limited to Intel or AMD.

However, this does mean older x86 only apps wont work on the ARM versions without some type of hardware emulator.

So steam is gonna have to be rebuilt in example to even get its base system running on the new platforms. And thats JUST Steam.. Not counting any games that want to reach the largest possible windows audience.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    dregoloth wrote: »
    These features are all fine and dandy for those with touch-screens, but...

But, nothing. The mouse is dead. Microsoft would be fools to ignore that gestural/direct input is the near future. Wacom Bamboo, anyone?

Also, processors are going to only get more powerful, and 4GB of ram is becoming the new minimum, so what performance decrease?

Sure some people may not be ready for this, but they'll be like old people in the grocery store writing out checks, just refusing to adopt that debit card.

"edit"

What I really want from MS in a new Windows is a goddamn decent Windows Explorer. Don't make me have to open up two fucking instances of it just so I can cut, copy, paste my files from one place to another. Give me something that shows the contents of multiple folders simultaneously in multiple "windows" or stacks or columns in one open program. Give me a decent file management tool already, for crying out loud.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    jib1337 wrote: »

How has this OS video shown any feature copies of OSX?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    And I wouldn't be so naive to think that what we're seeing is what the OS will be in its entirety. MS wouldn't completely throw away their Aero theme and cut-off their power users from using the OS. In fact, they even showed the theme within the video so its there, for sure.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »
    And I wouldn't be so naive to think that what we're seeing is what the OS will be in its entirety. MS wouldn't completely throw away their Aero theme and cut-off their power users from using the OS. In fact, they even showed the theme within the video so its there, for sure.

Yep, you can see at the point when he opens Word, that there is a Aero type desktop with a taskbar.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was left a little confused by the video.

I know their main showing point is how it will work on tablets/mobile devices/thingies without a mouse.

There was mention that you would be using this interface with a mouse as well...that seems a little strange. When microsoft office was on the screen (and the guy was talking about file structure still being there) they had what looked like windows 7.

I am not going to be as harsh on it as other people...I commend them for doing something different...especially for getting with the times, knowing well that the mouse wont live forever. However, I'm just confused as to how this would work for me, on my home pc.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm actually a little intrigued by this. It's good to see MS doing new/different, rather than following. I can really see a market for this, even with power users. Look at how often power users change their desktops to have some of this same content. I also love the idea of having an icon with live data in it.

Like most Windows releases, I'm going to assume there will be a way to fall back to 'classic' version.
    On the flip side, it seems like every other version of Windows sucks, and Win8 is on the suck cycle... I hope they finally break that chain ;)
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Don't really get all the hate and negativity. Looks like a solid start for a touch interface to me.

Love the Metro UI, colors, simplicity, no bevel/emboss/shadows shit anymore. I agree that they should change most of it for desktop, laptop OS, but for touch interface its amazing. UI wise Apples iPad looks like a children's toy with colourful, shiny buttons. I think Zune player (software) is a great example of simple, well designed software. Love to use it even though I haven't got a zune player or windows phone.
    That said I am looking forward to a Win 7 combined with simplified UI, color schemes and some nice fonts. They could start with redoing Control Panel for a start....
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I see a huge market for touch based tablets/laptop replacements for consumer markets. Average, non techy family really uses PC only for web (facebook, email), photos, maps (directions, restaurants etc), videos (movies, tv shows) and few other small tasks. All of these can be easily done on a tablet, except previously you had to use slightly adjusted software and couldn't use proper word, spreadsheet editors for example. With more matured tablets coming in with full OS releases like Windows 8 (touch version) and Apple Lion OSX it will definitely become more mainstream replacing iMacs/laptops etc.

I presume for workstation/enterprise market there will be more classical version available with only minor UI changes.
    Also looks like there will be Apple like app store in the new release.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hrmmm .. yeah looks pretty tacked on, like windows media center tacked on.. i think they are trying to do this...

http://youtu.be/hPUGNCIozp0

just not as good.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that touch screen keyboard modification on the left and right side of screen is fucking awesome, such a better interface for touch typing :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I though microsoft said win7 would be their last 32bit OS?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    This is why I wish I could play my games on Linux. I'd have left Windows long ago. Windows just gets more obtuse every release. I'm using a PC, not a tablet. Microsoft is the equivalent of Rome. They had their empire and then they got complacent. Now, they're just clutching at the hems of Google and Apple, trying to reclaim the power they once had.

I remember rumors of Steam getting Linux support when the Mac version came out. If only it were true...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I liked snap so... will wait and see what they show next :)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Now, they're just clutching at the hems of Google and Apple, trying to reclaim the power they once had.
    That's a bit harsh.. On a desktop level the only reason they have to fight Apple is because of superior marketing, not because OSX is a superior product.

It's true they've done poorly in the mobile market but this was obviously an attempt to address that (and hopefully this is not their vision for the future of windows on desktops...)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    they're just clutching at the hems of Google and Apple, trying to reclaim the power they once had.

They want to reclaim mind share, they're still plenty big/wealthy/powerful.