Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clown Head

This is my first character I modeled. It's part of bigger project that I should be posting some updates soon. Let me know what you think. The clown is actually going to be one of those big plaster heads you see at theme parks. and its supposed to look abandoned.

o71qwl.jpg
r24w0l.jpg
2qkqbg6.jpg

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe you guys can pick apart my maps...
    29mk9vr.jpg
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come on... no one wants to comment? Or is everyone scared of clowns?
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, its too scary!
    you are wasting a hell alot of polygons there :P
    And the texture doesnt quite look like Paint, or old Paint.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting concept, and a scary one too.
    It's too early for comments, perhaps. Keep on refining.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my girlfriend has a phobia of clowns... i never understood it. i laughed at her when she literally burst into tears when the clown appeared in the bathroom toilet during Zombieland (film). and she's not used a public toilet since then without our daughter going with her!

but now i understand... there's something really fucking creepy about your clown, dude.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't embarrassingly bad. My uv's need to be cleaned, too possibly as suggested, too much geo, a good rebake, but the textures I think are the most difficult at this point. Making a plaster type material. hand painting and on top of that it needs to look really weathered and forgotten. I think for now, I am going to move on to the rest of the project.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my girlfriend has a phobia of clowns... i never understood it. i laughed at her when she literally burst into tears when the clown appeared in the bathroom toilet during Zombieland (film). and she's not used a public toilet since then without our daughter going with her!

but now i understand... there's something really fucking creepy about your clown, dude.
    Oh powerful and flesh crazed zombie clown, accept this succulent morsel as a token of good will, while I dash out the door...

As for the model, I think it needs a lot of work. More reference would help. I think the collar is all wrong, most of the ruffled clown collars I've seen aren't arches they're ruffled collars. Which can be done with a spline easy enough.
    monkey.jpglaa1803a.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't give up, everything will eventually reach good level if you put enough effort in it.

It really needs many improvements, I'll point out just few: it desperately needs specular map and general lowering specular value- the specular makes it look so plastic... Plain ambient occlusion multiply isn't enough. Diffuse looks very simplistic yet clearly photosourced - overlaying noisy texture isn't enough too. I guess some hard surface texture tutorials could help. Modeling is far from ace too - he would look better if his face was more humanlike even though it's only a statue. etc, etc.
    Keep on working!
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark here is one of the reference photos I used. I hope mine is still creepier.
    1zh0bye.jpg

@uncle The reason why the spec is really high in the last photo is because I don't know how to control it. I am currently using 3 point shader and can't find the specular button. My texturing skills are so below par. could you suggest any good tuts on texturing?

As far as the model in whole, I am not a character artist, never will be. Its just nice to know if I can at least hack it, for I am sure sometimes, artist wear different hats.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd go with
    this
    or
    that

as for specular in 3ps - I'm using lite version as I don't need to work fast right now (also poorfag, lol) and its riiight here
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links and you're right about the spec... I guess since it was always unchecked, didn't think it was turned on.