Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ingram M10

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

It's my first attempt at weapons. My friend has told me that guys at Crytek use decals for labels to make them sharper. Maybe you know any other useful techniques? Please tell me what do you guys think.

As always feedback and advices much appreciated!

Shots:
99462262.th.jpg97025444.th.jpg48696351.th.jpg

Wire:
64594212.th.jpg63679229.th.jpg

Maps:
mapsm.th.jpg

Diffuse: 2048
Normal:1024
Spec: 1024

Lables Diff: 1024x512
Lables Normal: 1024x512

Soft:
Maya, Xnormal, Photoshop, Marmoset

Tri (with mag): 4547

Diffuse turned out to be pretty big and a bit blurred, I will pay more attention to the pixel ratio next time.

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The texture is very dull. It looks like you just put a basic metal overlay on it and called it done. Take a real close look at your references and try to replicate the kind of wear and finish you see, in both the diffuse and the spec.

Check out the greasy spots on this one:
    MAC_10s.jpg

This is a bit extreme but has some cool stuff:
    Mac%2010.jpg

I know it's not good to use other people's work as reference, but this guy's Mac 10 skin has some cool materials:
    mac10.jpg

Every scratch and nick should have a purpose and a reason for being there. Don't just loosely put scratchy textures all over everything.
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Kitteh!

I've updated diffuse and specular, maybe it's even too dirty but believe it's better now.

toolbag2011053111353060.th.png toolbag2011053111494240.th.png
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of the wear is still very random. There shouldn't just be blotches of stuff in the middle of flat surfaces. It's also very noisy, you have a ton of high frequency noise that makes it look like textured plastic. Get rid of it. The rubber back part of the grip looks like tree bark. Your white scrapes are also completely random and don't make much sense. They should never be in the crevices, only on exposed corners and surfaces. You could paint in some cool scrapes on those two ridges on the side of the receiver, for example. Also, you should fill in the crevices with some brown grime (not too much) which should be black in the specular.

Honestly it might be beneficial to start over. It looks like your AO is messed up too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that bothers be here is just that your materials do not read as metal, it looks very flat like a plastic or even concrete type material, not reflective like metal. Darken your diffuse and turn up the spec, play with the glossiness etc.
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I didn't have any free time to work on the Ingram.
    I believe that it's a bit better now.

img2.jpg

more:
    http://krzysztofteper.com/ingram.html
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, but I don't care much for the floating in starry space presentation. If you were doing a spaceship maybe, but a gun? I think your texturing has improved though
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Yeha the model and textures look great, but you need to present it better. Either leave it on a monotone gray background and present it as a prop; or place it on a table and present a small scene.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's with all the highlights in the trigger area where the trigger goes in the gun body [as seen from underneath]?