Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity Mistborn environment

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I loved Mistborn the Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson and Im starting to use unity at work so I thought Id have a little fun learning the tools this weekend and this is the result. Warning very very WIP! this is all diffuse textures, no spec or normals.

Go to:
http://www.gd3dart.com/unity/WebPlayer.html
to play the environment

screenshot1.jpg

Replies

• FavoredSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FavoredSoul polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, this is cool.

My supervisor is trying to get me to use Unity so i've been thinking about it a lot lately. How are you finding learning the tools?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its pretty easy, just remember to uvw map everything properly, at least in cinema 4d if you just use the standard(planar/cyclindrical/cubic) mapping then unity just treats it as an object that is not unwrapped at all.

I was thinking how Vin and Kelsier use hightened senses through tin and decided to add some crazy post effects to emulate this sensation of powerful magical night time vision.
    New more beautiful version now online WARNING 8.4 mb download.

screenshot2.jpg

Go to:
    to play the environment
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Cool, I've read these, they are good.

Environment looks good so far, I imagine the buildings to be closer together though, lots of small alleways, and I doubt the buildings would be so haphazardly placed(they would be turned at right angles to one another I think).

I'd love to see some kind of metal jumping mechanic.

Cant wait to see your progress either way.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Calabi wrote: »
    Cool, I've read these, they are good.

Environment looks good so far, I imagine the buildings to be closer together though, lots of small alleways, and I doubt the buildings would be so haphazardly placed(they would be turned at right angles to one another I think).

I'd love to see some kind of metal jumping mechanic.

Cant wait to see your progress either way.

thanks, Ive literally just created the assets and scattered them this is very very much a work in progress haha. I would like to make some cobbled streets with streetlamps and then place the buildings tightly around that.

Wish I had the programming skills to do that cool metal jumping mechanic.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The atmosphere and styling makes it feel like a horror game, it was fun walking around so nice job so far :)

I did notice something, you know the banks of mist that roll in, I think maybe they are a little fast and also the base of them are visible as a seam rolling across the ground. Is there a way to use opacity or make the mist non-uniform so it's not so obvious?
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs more ashfalls and piles of soot. also i think one of the later books has a map of luthadel if you wanted to get it more city-like. now just get some steel inquisitors and your good. and maybe a noble house.
    those books were amazing, anything by branden sanderson is gold. have you read "the way of kings" by any chance?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    new build up, streets are now more or less laid out. Some buildings dont touch the floor/go through the floor but thats an easy fix, piles of ash are now in the corners - I wanted to use alpha with these but it gets wierd with the fog. Fog is now flatter and less windy and well distributed plus more ashfalls in the sky. Doesnt run too well but its alright.

10MB download
    [HINT WASD to move, hold space to jump really really high]
    Go to:
    to play in the environment

screenshot3.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I just had a look through this and I've got to say it's looking very nice. I do have some crits, though:

- The bloom/HDR is pretty over the top at the moment. There was one point where most of the screen was pure white because of the bloom/fog combo. I'd suggest toning that down a touch. It may fit with the fiction of the books you're basing this on, but it just comes across as distracting.

- The realtime shadows, time saving and useful as they are, don't do this thing justice. The pixelation at the edges of the shadows and the constant popping and jitter are extremely distracting when the scene is actually in motion. This, especially, is where it was most distracting:
    any5I.jpg
    The reason those really jumped out at me is because of how important that area is. Up until that point in this scene, you're stuck in very linear, tight streets. But as soon as you get to that area, the place suddenly opens up to reveal something with large scale and a lot to look at. It'd be a shame to waste the potential of that area by using rough-edged shadows that distract you from looking around and appreciating everything.

If possible, I'd suggest using shadow maps instead of exclusively the realtime lighting solution. They'll definitely be more time consuming, but the end product will be so, sooo much better. If you're dead-set on using the realtime shadows, I'd suggest finding a way to color or fade them so they don't call so much attention to themselves.
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistborn books are amazing, was thinking about doing something based off the books when my work was worthy enough >.< Will definitely be watching this thread!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    This looks pretty good, so I gotta ask, what shader are you using? The ones that come with unity are some of the worst I've ever seen. They remove all the detail from my textures, and make everything look so bland and boring. The way they handle spec is absolutely dreadful.

I'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts on this subject.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Swizzle I do agree baked shadows would be better but this scene isnt really made for lightmaps and Ive altered the shadow style now and made some post process changes, hopefully its better and it still runs fairly well. Ive put an fps counter in the top left now and added some streetlamps so lighting is placed in the game world properly. Im slowly learning to use unity properly instead of just ramming in one massive model haha.

Thanks shadowfox
    Jeremy-S this is the standard unity bumped specular shader, Im using 2 directional lights and ambient light so that might help, I should really place my specular map into the alpha channel of my diffuse texture but I havent been bothered to try that yet.

10MB download
    [HINT WASD to move, hold space to jump really really high]
    Go to:
    to play in the environment

screenshot4.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, then I gotta figure out what's going wrong with my shader setup. In Xoliul, they look sweet as hell, in 3PSS, they look sweet as hell, in Unity total ass.

Anyway, what you've got so far looks pretty great. A Proper spec would really help it out, but the lighting looks good to me, and the atmospherics look great too. Good work, man
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey Jeremy are you sure you have set your normal maps to display as "normal" maps instead of "texture" maps in the drop down box on the texture once you import it into the project folder? also it seems like direct lights work and point lights dont work when it comes to showing off normal maps, dont understand that one.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I got the normals displaying as normals, but I don't normally use direct lights, I'll remember that, and try it when I get a chance. Thanks :) For the most part, though me main problem is with spec maps in unity. The majority of the detail is lost, and looks awful. Very blurry, and completely wrong. Maybe that's another point light versus direct light issue? Hmm, will check. Thanks again
  • Pixelz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelz polycounter lvl 9
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    have you baked scene? unity have some glitch with baked scenes and normal maps.. but as you pointed out direct light should work normal
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ged,

This is really coming on well with each iteration I've seen. It has a really nice atmosphere to it. Love to see more.

Is there some sort of 'chromatic aberration' filter on it, or is that just my eyes? I like it anyhow.:)

By the way, is Unity difficult to get your head round at first?
  • Mcg.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice I think some fog would add to the ambiance but just wondering how you got the light glare effect on the lanterns if you have only two light sources?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sorry Im gonna have to raise this thread from the dead:

Pixelz: thanks!

cupsster: nope not baked, Ive learned loads about unity since this soo I could do a better job now but my home trial ran out and I cant do this at work

pixelmitherer: yeah it is a subtle chromatic aberration + a ton of other random postprocessing.

MCG: there is some fog in there, mostly the lights look that way because of post processing

I decided a while back to have a crack at making vin from the mistborn books, well heres the sculpt so far, almost done with it, trying to keep it feminine clean and regal but still kick ass, probably doesnt look a lot like vin anymore haha.

vinrender1.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I loved these books! The last scene you posted looks pretty good. Vin is looking pretty nice too, although the legs, esp. the areas above and below the knees, look pretty weird. I think maybe you should take a look at some muscular reference for that area again. But the face looks very nice, and I think you've captured her essence pretty well! :D Excited for updates, I love when people post art inspired by books :):)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as a mistborn, she wouldnt want any metal on her as that could be used to push her around. theres some hard looking pieces on her clothing that make it look like metal. its hard to tell without color though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ..cape/cloak?

thanks guys/girls I did actually add the mistcloak but to be honest it didnt really work without her and it being in motion and having it flow around her like mist so I decided its not worth it as I cant achieve those things and Id rather do a good job of post war vin nearer the end of the book where she doesnt wear the cloak so much.

nightshade I intend for it to look like hardened leather in the end not metal.

Jessica, not sure what you mean, I checked reference and it looked good to me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    finally got round to making the lowpoly and baking and had all sorts of glitches with my software/workflow sooo annoying. Anyway Ive finally got vin into marmoset and started texturing.

vin_screenshots1.jpg
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    so far so good
  • Outbreak107
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only crit I have is, her face looks way too old, Vin is only 16/17 at the start of the first book if I remember correctly.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty silly that I can click a link, and in a few seconds there's all these graphics. Glad people are doing this.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks people, good to know some people are interested in my experiments :)
    Only crit I have is, her face looks way too old, Vin is only 16/17 at the start of the first book if I remember correctly.

Yeah and shes about 20 by the end of the last book so I think Im ok with this. Also she used to look like a boy when she was young and shes gangly and athletic so this isnt your typical smooth faced pretty teenage girl, this girls got grit :D

Ive done some more work on her but Im having issues getting 3dcoats painting tools to work. Anyone ever had it where you load in a model and the paint tools do nothing at all and importing textures dont even display either its just a default gray model no matter what I do?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    If I remember correctly, there was one thing where only one of the per pixel modes works. I cant remember which one but only one of them in the menu works fully. At least it was that way when creating from a voxel model, dont know if went from importing other ways but that could be it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Calabi wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, there was one thing where only one of the per pixel modes works. I cant remember which one but only one of them in the menu works fully. At least it was that way when creating from a voxel model, dont know if went from importing other ways but that could be it.

thanks for trying to help, I eventually figured out what it was, my fbx export was doing something wierd that 3d coat didnt like so I exported as obj and it all worked. Anyway these might be the final renders of her fully textured. Unless I decide to pose her with the glass daggers....hmmmm tempting :).

vin_final1.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Just did a weee paintover as i LOVE! the model as a whole but that nose! ahhh! keep it up tho matey and i hope this helps!
    lenose.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Razorb thanks, I will take that paintover into consideration and maybe just move the verts a little as its not a big change, I do understand where you are coming from but I did base the nose on reference and it looks pretty good when not viewed from the front, I thought it gave her character but maybe a small tweak wont hurt.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff with Unity. I'm planning an environment in it sometime as well so will keep an eye on this.