Home Technical Talk

Normal map from a texture

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
Hi people,

Got a question that I did not find a satisfying answer to searching the PC forum. I have a high poly and a low poly asset put together and got the normal maps projected onto the low poly. It is a concrete road block and I want to capture more detail out of the concrete texture.

When I used Max I used to add a bump map of the texture and also use the normal for the high poly detail. In the case of maya I added my normal map under the bump map slot of the shader, but where would you add the bump map for the texture? Or would you create a second normal map of the textures and combined it with the high poly one and add them as single map.

I hope I make sense of what I am trying to ask you guys. Let me know if it is not clear.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    bake your normal maps from HP to LP. than bring the normalmap into photoshop, and use something like crazybump or NDO on the concrete texture to get normal details out of it than past it into a layer above the baked normal map, set it's blending to overlay, and open the layer properties and uncheck the blue channel.

Than just save that out and use the new normal map on your LP.

for game assets your much better off putting all the bump and normal detail in one normal map.

also if you got a working bump map you can just run that threw NDO or the nvidia normal map filter to make a normal map version to overlay on the bake.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah just overlay another normal map on top of another one.

nDo will do it or do it by hand. Adjust the levels of the one you're laying on top to output only 1/2 of the blue channel (so instead of 0 to 255 take it down to 0 to 127/128) and set the blend mode to overlay.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    jeffro wrote: »
    (so instead of 0 to 255 take it down to 0 to 127/128) and set the blend mode to overlay.

why do you do this? The leveling that is.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that you don't reverse the normal.

0-0.5 (or 0-127) in the blue channel means the forwards vector gets reduced so much that it points backwards. Hence the strong blue tint to tangent space normal maps, it's range in most circumstances stays within the 0.5-1 range because any less than that and it'll appear to get lit from behind.

You can pull some interesting hack-y tricks with the underside of foliage and an inverted blue channel to get a "backlit" effect, though :)
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys thanks for the fast response.....Cool I will try it first thing when I get home and I will update if I have any issues.

Thanks again for all the tips! :):thumbup:
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    r_fletch_r read this thread they explain it way better than I ever could.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48999
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya i never bothered leveling the blue to half on overlaid details, i always just switched the blu channel off on that layer.

but also any overlaid normals i do are generally just surface detail, expect for the odd case where i did everything by hand in photoshop, i have all larger details where depth would be important in the bake.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explanation of this kind of leveling in overlayed normal maps:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow_3.htm
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Explanation of this kind of leveling in overlayed normal maps:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow_3.htm

You would still get better results in CrazyBump than adjusting levels in Photoshop w/ Overlay, however, at that point, they're only minimal.

However, never, never, never just overlay a normal in Photoshop. When you do, 3d math geeks the world over cry. :D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan wrote: »
    You would still get better results in CrazyBump than adjusting levels in Photoshop w/ Overlay, however, at that point, they're only minimal.

However, never, never, never just overlay a normal in Photoshop. When you do, 3d math geeks the world over cry. :D

ya always adjust or level the blue channel in PS but any advantages you get mixing hte maps in crazy bump or so minimal that it prolly isn't worth have to kick things out to a different app and pasting the results back in PS.

which is why i tend to use NDO over crazybump, allows me to work easily with normal maps in the PSD, and keep there settings intact, if i want to tweak the normal map later.