Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eco - Apocalypse

catalin01
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

My name is Catalin and I'm drunk right now, cheers, so I'll be posting some of my work on this thread for my first environment project. Life on earth is deemed uninhabitable again, so a Wall-E like robot is trying to clean it by finding all the strawberry jam's in the world and the humans left on the planet found a new delicious food source, a miracle food of high-energy "Humans". The fictional ending of earth has been around for ever, and in turn nut - job people start talking about an apocalyptic ending of life as we know it on planet Earth.

So enjoy and I'm open to suggestions.

unledmsc.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
22042218190853912561063.jpg

watertower.png

strettlight.png

podq.png

fireescape.png

Replies

• IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Judging by the polycount of your models in contrast to their distance in the concept it doesn't seem like you have a consistent vision of how to reduce your workload. I highly recommend modelling the detail where its needed and using more film based production methods for your vista.

It seems like you have caught onto an idea that engages you, but the problem will come in a few days when you realise how much work their is involved. I recommending blocking out and structuring your project to help you finish it.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i know that i should block out first, i really tryed by using cam-points , perspective view , match mover even a zombie Chihuahua. Unfortunately being a concept art and the huge amount of elements in the picture, pretty hard to block it out to the letter or to the vertex :)), anyway I'l try later a simple scene block-out.For " how much work their is involved" i don't mind this, because i started this project to get more familiarized whit 3ds max, I'm using max for 2 week's now, and this is more of a crash course to modelling- problem solving - creating my future workflow and so on, but thanks for the comment much appreciated. Thank you.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/3d_studio_max/camera_matching_in_3dsmax/camera_matching_01.php
    this might work to help you setup a camera to your reference so you can block everything out and get the proportions
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    catalin01 wrote: »
    Yea i know that i should block out first, i really tryed by using cam-points , perspective view , match mover even a zombie Chihuahua. Unfortunately being a concept art and the huge amount of elements in the picture, pretty hard to block it out to the letter or to the vertex :)), anyway I'l try later a simple scene block-out.For " how much work their is involved" i don't mind this, because i started this project to get more familiarized whit 3ds max, I'm using max for 2 week's now, and this is more of a crash course to modelling- problem solving - creating my future workflow and so on, but thanks for the comment much appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think thats exactly what Ichi is saying (I could be wrong, so just take this as a separate crit if so), You are putting a whole lot of detail into object that are far away, for example, the water tower, your model has plenty of detail in there which when on screen and placed as it is in your reference, you are going to see non of it. The same with the detail on the fire escape on the building, most of those rails could easily be textures at that distance.
    The whole reason for doing this, despite you being able to do better, is to save you time and eventually resources. You've picked a big scene, so go easy on yourself and cut corners everywhere. As for some of the buildings in the background, just use billboard textures or extremely low poly models.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout.png

A very rudimentary block out, i cant set the camera, to get the good angle as in the concept.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles wrote: »
    I don't think thats exactly what Ichi is saying (I could be wrong, so just take this as a separate crit if so), You are putting a whole lot of detail into object that are far away, for example, the water tower, your model has plenty of detail in there which when on screen and placed as it is in your reference, you are going to see non of it. The same with the detail on the fire escape on the building, most of those rails could easily be textures at that distance.
    The whole reason for doing this, despite you being able to do better, is to save you time and eventually resources. You've picked a big scene, so go easy on yourself and cut corners everywhere. As for some of the buildings in the background, just use billboard textures or extremely low poly models.

I forgot to say that i might integrate a part of it in game :P as an exploration zone
    "sorry forgot to mention that"
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    The point still stands for a lot of the objects.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

dim.png

I think i nailed the dimension right. Where can i download a mock-up man whit Unreal character dimension to import in my max scene?
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    Where can i download a mock-up man whit Unreal character dimension to import in my max scene?

I also want to know, I have no problem exporting a scene as an .fbx file from UDK, however it doesn't seem to export the character even if I've placed it in the scene and chosen to export it
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Just make a box that is about 96 generic max units high - that's the average height of an Unreal character.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Make a tofu man!

1.8m
    0.4m
    0.4m
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small portion of texture
    Don't know which one to use :)
    unled2e.png

texturen.png

• catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhd.jpg

renderpass.jpg

Some render learning.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little progress on the tank i will put in my scene
    tanktv.jpg

• catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the head lamp --
    Any good tutorials to render the glass well with mental-ray?

lampsp.jpg