Home Technical Talk

Padding in Render to texture?

Hi. I never have the time to fully unwrap a model. i usually just flatten map the model and bake out a scratch mask and an ao map.

It is really heavy models and to save as much texture space as i can i pack the uvs with 0 spacing

I get that black line at all the seams. no matter if i have the padding og zero or fucking 100.

Can anyone help me here? :)

Thanks!

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    my suggestion is to unwrap the model correctly.
  • KristianT
    Well, that is not an option when i dont got the time to do it.
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Try the Dilation filter for Photoshop that comes with xNormal.
  • KristianT
    Thanks peppi. will try it out!
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    KristianT wrote: »
    Well, that is not an option when i dont got the time to do it.

learn to do it properly and quickly?
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    :o you can't add padding with a 0 space between shells :o
    You need a bit of space or you will always have bleeding
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    packing with 0 spacing is a totally false economy, you gain a small amount of extra definition in exchange for your model looking like complete shit when the texture mips.

Quit being lazy and pack it propperly. even just adding a bit of padding and doing an auto unwrap will be better.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    KristianT wrote: »
    Hi. I never have the time to fully unwrap a model. i usually just flatten map the model and bake out a scratch mask and an ao map.

~ lol
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    that's a lot of pink, say hi to Narchi for me.

i was thinking, maybe this guy is doing arch vis or something, or perhaps some shitty freeware games that don't require much effort because nobody will care.
    although when you choose to 'flatten mapping' there is an option there for spacing, leaving it at the default value will actually give you enough room, and when you bake with xnormal or something add in enough padding for the size of your texture; 1 pixel won't cut it if your map is 4k for example.
    when in photoshop use the method suggested above, the xnormal toolset have a great tool to do this, or you can manually do it by adding a blurrerd version of your texture behind the main textures.

none of these thigns should take you more than a couple of seconds so there's no reason not to do it "properly"
  • Adam L. Gray
    Hmm, forgive me for doing a bit of detective work here, but if I'm not mistaken he works at http://www.tldarch.com/, and thus, prolly works with arch viz. And looking at his former post about procedural wear on 200-300k meshes, there's prolly not a lot of texture-work that goes into those unwrapped models, at least not in PS.

And so, I can understand that you can't bother with a proper unwrap, but it might be wise mentioning this rather than a 'I don't have time' to save some confusion :poly142:

As for the padding, as mentioned, the padding won't work unless there's enough space between the uv shells. The padding basically extends and repeats the edge pixels of the shell in the texture, and if another shell is right next to it, then it won't have anywhere to go without overlapping another shell... which would be pretty bad.

And so naturally, the padding will never extend over to another uv shell, instead it will meet in the middle with the padding extruding from the other shell.

And with a picture so that the last sentence makes any sense:

34zghsy.jpg

So, with em meeting half way, you can never have too much padding either :)

Cheers
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiros wrote: »

And so, I can understand that you can't bother with a proper unwrap, but it might be wise mentioning this rather than a 'I don't have time' to save some confusion :poly142:

Cheers

or post on an arch vis board.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea "I don't have time for unwrapping" in game art is mind boggling, if you want anything decent it will require a decent unwrap.

Oh arch-vis... meh, crank up the size of your map, add some space between the shells and call it good.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Oh if it's for Arch vis I wouldn't even bother doing a render to texture. Or unwrapping at all.

The GI should be generated when you render the frame.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Oh if it's for Arch vis I wouldn't even bother doing a render to texture. Or unwrapping at all.

The GI should be generated when you render the frame.

They're baking AO
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    They're baking AO

my point is that I wouldn't bother doing that part. You get a much better result doing it in-camera. And you don't have to store massive bitmaps or unwrap the model.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    my point is that I wouldn't bother doing that part. You get a much better result doing it in-camera. And you don't have to store massive bitmaps or unwrap the model.

CPU is the bottle neck, not RAM. you can save a massive amount of render time baking down non view dependent stuff. plus the unwrap is simple to do, so long as you pad.

Think of all those lovely blurry reflection you can do when you gain that render time :)
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    CPU is the bottle neck, not RAM. you can save a massive amount of render time baking down non view dependent stuff. plus the unwrap is simple to do, so long as you pad.

Think of all those lovely blurry reflection you can do when you gain that render time :)

As far as I can tell rendering an AO pass doesn't increase your render time by that much and integrates with the other lights a lot better if you render as you go. And if you really need to speed things up a couple of hundred bucks will buy you a decent render farm.

If it's realtime the OP should unwrap things properly.