Home Technical Talk

Reccomend some Maya tools, along the lines of digitalRaster?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
Anybody use any external Maya tools/scripts to make life a little easier?

Had a look at DR tools: http://draster.com/nex-1.5/faq.html

but I wonder if anybody else has had experience with other useful packages?

Cheers :)

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    nex is the big one, i actully dont use many of the tools it adds but the new selection style really helps.

for realtime render i also like using the hlsl shader Xoliul.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    i used to use nex, but then I came back to use Maya by default with tons of extra marking menus I've setup. I don't see much use of NEX anymore, and it's also really buggy.

edit: I might take what I said out after seeing the latest release notes:
    http://draster.com/nex-1.5/release-notes.html
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I used Nex when I made the jump from Max to Maya. I liked it but after about 30 minutes of using it I would give a half second delay in every command, even those not related directly to Nex operations such as selecting edges. Eventually just made more custom floaty box things and rocking default.

Dont know if it was issues with Nex or issues with our tools and and Nex conflicting.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i'm starting to think just sitting with default will be fine for now, it's just a shame maya has such apalling modeling tools.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    when i had to switch to maya i had the same problem. only the NEX plugin came close to the tools i loved from 3dsmax.
    on the other hand, maya has all the tools you need and much more. if you stick working with the dropdown menus or shelves, you will never get a decent workflow. i just can advise you like bugo, learn using marking menus ( http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?157484-Maya-Demystified-The-Hidden-Marking-Menus ) or build your own.
    i think i can do all the stuff from max, plus much more as custom MEL code is easy to setup and makes custom tool building easy.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Rick_D wrote: »
    yeah i'm starting to think just sitting with default will be fine for now, it's just a shame maya has such apalling modeling tools.

I REALLY dissagree with that, but I'm not starting anything here. Get to know marking menus, shift+RMB and ctrl+RMB, ctrl+shift+RMB and others first. Make sure to get your customization and you will see how fast and insanely featured maya can be.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, I am all about the speed and efficiency, I am already using the stock marking menus, and have already got a couple set up for personal scripts. the problem more lies in the fact that the tools behave in an often counter intuitive way and there's several features that max has that maya really needs.

i have used both before, but personally feel that for all it's flaws, max is a better program for modelling and general environment work.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also take some time to redo your keys, i had to make a lot of changes to the default keys setup to make me not want to smash it.

ands maya does have a nice selection system that is a bit hidden, try doable clicking faces or edges and double middle clicking them to get edge loop and edge ring selection and mesh selections, you can also choose where it stops too by selection a other edge first,.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    i have used both before, but personally feel that for all it's flaws, max is a better program for modelling and general environment work.

It's not a PERSONAL feeling really, I've switched to max recently mostly because of that.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amen, i don't want to cry about maya because really it's not that bad, but i feel people who love maya have a kind of stockholm syndrome going on. sure maya treats you nice in some ways, but in the places that count it beats you round the head and shoves you in the boot of it's 1993 toyota corola and drives you down to mexico for an acid fueled ritualistic indefinitely extended gang rape.

but that's just me.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick, you are awesome. Could you please record your voice reading this out loud?
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i agree that max has better modeling tools, but maya has improved lots in the last versions. it's ok for me now. i remember when switching from max (with polyboost) to maya 7.0. this was horrible. right now i can life with its features.

i think there is another thread, where they discuss max/maya tools and how to get same behaviour in the other package.

regarding animation, maya rocks. i hate the material editor(hypershade) and the rendering was so easy and fast to setup in max, i'm still not sure if autodesk does not want people to get fast results in maya or they just want you to buy tons of tutorial cds..;)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Maya's implementation of mental ray is horrible. Even vray, which is still relatively new in maya is better integrated.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the worsrt part is i can get a really fast speed work-wise in maya, but i always feel as if i am working fast in order to make up for a lack of tools, does that make sense?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the worsrt part is i can get a really fast speed work-wise in maya, but i always feel as if i am working fast in order to make up for a lack of tools, does that make sense?

kinda i use maya but i don't use it much for modeling i tend to do that in silo and everything else in maya, and that was part of the reason why i do modeling in a other app most of the time.
  • pepp0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from your Points, i don't like Maya As you but i Must work with it as a max user too. And i Must say in some Points is Maya a Great Tool i like the uvw tools they working like a Charme out of the Box, in max i Need a Couple of scripts .. (textools, chugnut tools) and the Split Polygon tool, but i Miss some modelling tools such as Select Polygon by angle ... Some modifiers aswell As the Modeling Feeling from max

Sorry about my english and the iPad corecture :)
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing i would love to know if it's possible to do in maya: show only the uv's assigned a specific material.

example: you have a building with a wall texture, a floor texture, a roof texture. it's one solid mesh. in the uv editor all uv's are visible at once. how do you only show uv's that are assigned the wall texture?
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can RMB on the material that is assigned to the faces you want to isolate, select objects with material, convert selection to UVs, then create a view set out of your selection
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    passerby wrote: »
    kinda i use maya but i don't use it much for modeling i tend to do that in silo and everything else in maya, and that was part of the reason why i do modeling in a other app most of the time.

You do have select polygon by angle by default on the select menu, it's a bit of a pain to do it tho. You also have the angle the same way as Max on Nex.

You gain in some ways and you lose in others.

Here's a list that I admire in Maya that Max users could have:

- Transfer Attributes
    - global soft selection
    - Being able to edit all verts of the scene without having to attach and lose pivots.
    - every single move or edit is saved and you can go back and delete it (history)
    - expressive marking menus without having to look for a hotkey
    - reflection modeling (that im unsure max have, it does have mirror if i remember, but its not the same thing)
    - Paint Reduce tool
    - Clean up tools
    - Way better vertex color painting without relying on stacks
    - Horizontal and Vertical unfolding.
    - Automatic uv layout with world scaling.
    - Easier vertex normal editing.
    - Unified style of menus, not just a lot of different menus for every single tool.
    - There's a lot more that I would have to think about.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bugo

wasnt saying it is bad i just find the silo's modeling tools faster, i still will use maya's modeling tools for simple stuff, and when i need deformers, and there are a ton of things in maya i wish other packages would take up, expecially the UV tools and vertex colour tools and the being able to go back and history or make changes to operations in your history.
  • pepp0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vertex color tools are a pain in the ass, many many bugs in this tools, and i used it alot on my current projekt
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    pepp0r wrote: »
    The vertex color tools are a pain in the ass, many many bugs in this tools, and i used it alot on my current projekt

i haven't seen many bugs in maya vertex tools, but i think the tools are just not suitable for reasonable editing.

a cool tool is VertexChameleon:
    http://www.renderheads.com/portfolio/VertexChameleon/#Home
    the plugin has some stability issues and undo is not working, but it was worth the money.
    as they are a bit slow in updating to the newest maya version, i wrote myself my own script. of course it's just very simple and has no realtime update plus it tends to get slow with too many vertices selected. nothing i can do about as MEL is damn slow. maybe a python port could help. note that this version is for maya 2008 and up, as it uses docking menus.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/132816/shinen_shaderTools.mel
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    Here's a list that I admire in Maya that Max users could have:

if you don't mind i'll post some counter points and you can maybe tell me how i could get the most out of maya? cheers

- Transfer Attributes
    never had a need to use anything like this in max, how useful is it in day to day environment modeling?

- global soft selection
    definately simpler to do in maya, but not sure where i have ever thought to myself "i wih i had this" in max

- Being able to edit all verts of the scene without having to attach and lose pivots.
    i actually really really dislike this feature. i like to be editing one object and locked into it. does maya let you do anything like that?

- every single move or edit is saved and you can go back and delete it (history)
    do you just press the delete key on an operation you want to undo? i tried right clicking and couldn't get the option to remove something.
    this is definately a nice feature but i don't think i ever used it in all the time i used maya, rather than just using undo. i imagine it is more useful for things other than basic modeling.
    i definately miss the stack though.

i found this to be a really nice way of working and something i would like to see in max. it's a shame you cannot edit the deault marking menus (or can you?)

- reflection modeling (that im unsure max have, it does have mirror if i remember, but its not the same thing)
    most people use symmetry modifier for things like this (although i might misunderstand what you mean)

- Paint Reduce tool
    not used it, sounds interesting but i would love to have the multires modifier in maya :( made lods so easy to set up and edit.

- Clean up tools
    not sure which you mean, any examples? would be great to know if there's something i could make regular use of.

- Way better vertex color painting without relying on stacks
    i have been using the vertex colour tools a lot lately in maya, i miss being able to define a colour per vertex (it seems i have to choose my colour and then paint it).
    i also enjoyed the stack system.

not something i need to use, umnless i am missing a trick. i find that maya is missing some very useful tools for dealing with uv's. the relax tool is really bad and always warps uvs violently, i cannot show only uv's used on a specific material, and the lack of element selection (in uv and regular component editing) is a huge pain.

- Easier vertex normal editing.
    true. i miss smoothing groups but i can live with mayas system.

- Unified style of menus, not just a lot of different menus for every single tool.
    haha yes, max is also plagued by backwards compatibility, they cannot remove old and defunct features because people complain.

i would love to hear any tips you have for making life easier. like i said i can put up with, and even enjoy some aspects of maya, but i don't want to make life hard for myself by not getting the most out of the program.

hopefully i don't come across as being too confrontational, i am not meaning this to be a debate about max/maya because that's not something that will ever be solved until autodesk can one of them for shits and giggles.

anyway, cheers.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    if you don't mind i'll post some counter points and you can maybe tell me how i could get the most out of maya? cheers

Sure man!
    - Transfer Attributes
    never had a need to use anything like this in max, how useful is it in day to day environment modeling?

Ok, this one is easy, let's say you have a high mesh that is uv'd and you want to transfer by world space the uvs of that high mesh to your low poly, with transfer attritubes you can do that. Not just uv's, but topology, vertex colors, and other functions.

- global soft selection
    definately simpler to do in maya, but not sure where i have ever thought to myself "i wih i had this" in max

Oh, trust me, if you had a huge terrain, and your engine requires you to export less amount of verts by mesh and you have a bunch of patches and your lead comes and say "hey, I want that mountain a bit higher" But that mountain contains 3 meshes, you would want this feature. Not just terrain, but separate meshes on characters, rock formations and many others. All the seams would be intact and you wouldn't have to attach everything together.

i actually really really dislike this feature. i like to be editing one object and locked into it. does maya let you do anything like that?

You can do both. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to select 2 meshes and edit both together tho for faster iteration. Isolate selection or even selecting and editing on mesh in Maya is also possible. You have both, not just one.
    do you just press the delete key on an operation you want to undo? i tried right clicking and couldn't get the option to remove something.
    this is definately a nice feature but i don't think i ever used it in all the time i used maya, rather than just using undo. i imagine it is more useful for things other than basic modeling.
    i definately miss the stack though.

If you go to the attribute editor, you will see the "select" attribute at the bottom. Just select it and press "del" you will see that the attribute is gone. There's also "node lock" and other functions, you might want to read Maya docs for that.
    i found this to be a really nice way of working and something i would like to see in max. it's a shame you cannot edit the deault marking menus (or can you?)

You are right, you CANT edit the default marking menus, but you can do your own. I have my setup using A, S, D on keyboard to do EVERYTHING I need, with tons of submenus. So it's a matter of getting used to it. You can also setup the "space bar" menus.
    most people use symmetry modifier for things like this (although i might misunderstand what you mean)

Well, it's a bit different, there's both in maya, the reflection is for fast translation of verts and doesn't require a stack. You can hold "w" and LMB and go up on it's marking menu to select "reflection". It's just a faster way of adjusting something without loseing uv's etc, if they are not mirrorred.
    - Paint Reduce tool
    not used it, sounds interesting but i would love to have the multires modifier in maya :( made lods so easy to set up and edit.

You do have LOD setup in Maya as well. Read docs.

- Clean up tools
    not sure which you mean, any examples? would be great to know if there's something i could make regular use of.

Let's say you have a whole mesh with open holes, five side polygons, or even nonmanifold geometry, and you want to find out where those verts are. Usually very good for decimated meshes. This tool is a miracle. Read docs, it explains very well the use of it.

- Way better vertex color painting without relying on stacks.
    i have been using the vertex colour tools a lot lately in maya, i miss being able to define a colour per vertex (it seems i have to choose my colour and then paint it).
    i also enjoyed the stack system.

The vertex color in Maya is very much like painting in photoshop with layers, If you want to apply a color to a vert is easy. Use the "apply color" on colors menu.
    What I mean is, You CANT have different channels of colors in Max. In Maya you can have as many as you want and blend them later if you want to.
    not something i need to use, umnless i am missing a trick. i find that maya is missing some very useful tools for dealing with uv's. the relax tool is really bad and always warps uvs violently, i cannot show only uv's used on a specific material, and the lack of element selection (in uv and regular component editing) is a huge pain.

Huh, you have all you said above. You can select elements, there's a button for that on the top menu of the uv editor called "Move UV Shell Tool". My guess you are just used to max and can't find the tools in Maya. As for the horizontal/ vertical unfold. Per say you have a whole set of wall and you want to unfold the whole set without moving the verts vertically, simply do a cylindrical mapping and use the horizontal unfolding. In no time you will have your WHOLE set of walls together and unfolded. Usually character artists have a hard time doing hair planes, that also helps a lot. Anything that has a face loop really.
    haha yes, max is also plagued by backwards compatibility, they cannot remove old and defunct features because people complain.

It's true, many of the good features in Max got removed and people are pissed.

i would love to hear any tips you have for making life easier. like i said i can put up with, and even enjoy some aspects of maya, but i don't want to make life hard for myself by not getting the most out of the program.

Well, I'm here to help. It's definitely not easy! But the more you know the faster you get. I know that Maya is harder to learn and I do agree that, but it's on the market and increased the amount of users for a reason. It is really a matter of getting used to.
    hopefully i don't come across as being too confrontational, i am not meaning this to be a debate about max/maya because that's not something that will ever be solved until autodesk can one of them for shits and giggles.

Not at all, believe me! On my side I would say if you could stay with Max I would say you should. Learning another tool is a pain!
    anyway, cheers.

Not a problem, my pleasure.