Home Technical Talk

New computer suggestions (mac)

Okay so for some reason this didn't post the first time so excuse me if I'm brief.

My custom built desktop pc died today and I have been having so much trouble with it since I got it that I'm just going to buy a new computer. I've decided to get a Mac. I know that it is sort of a bold move as a gamer but I feel like it doesn't matter as much anymore.

So I'm thinking about getting the iMac 27" 2.7 GHz. I originally was thinking about getting the Mac Pro but it just didn't seem worth it. I will have dual 26"+ monitors if I get an Imac and I will be saving money. The thing I'm worried about is the graphics card. It is an ATI Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB. I don't know anything about this card so that is why I'm posting here. I currently have an nVidia GTX 260 OC and it does what I want it to do. I don't need anything better. I really hope that this ATI does that job because I can't really afford the next step up in the 27" monitor size.

So what do people think? Let me know asap because I would like to buy this baby pretty soon.

Thanks in advanced. And please don't go on a mac hating spree.

Here is a link to the iMac page.
http://store.apple.com/us_edu_75916/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTcyMTgwNTQ

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't have any advice, but I'd want to be POSITIVE a mobile ati card will work well with all the 3d apps you use, before you commit to it. Also, iMacs only have glossy monitors.

Did the whole old pc die? Is there any parts you can scrap?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah idk.

The whole pc didn't die but I just don't want to deal with it. I bought it is 2007. Upgraded the graphics card a year or two later. Motherboard died last month but had basically no money. So I had to downgrade. I just don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I know that it can be done right. But I have wanted a mac for a long time.

I would get a mac pro but they start at like $2500 and I don't have that much money.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I don't really hate mac's, they're good for their actual purpose and I used em a lot myself even though I never owned one. I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to use it for more advanced stuff though, when you start to do stuff that isn't in its simplistic and easy-to-use nature then 'so much trouble' is definitely what you'll be in for.

However, I never used bootcamp, so that might be the solution to those problems, I'll leave it to someone else confirm that!

Now, sorry, to the actual question. It seems to me like it should run quite well, it's roughly the spec's I'm using right now. Although, I'm going to upgrade in the near future.

So I wouldn't really expect to run new games on the highest graphics, but most of them should at least be playable. And as it comes to working with 3d, don't think that'll be a major problem either. Thus, imo, slightly outdated, but works :)

Cheers
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I never had any issues with ATI cards, starting from the x1600 up, with Maya or Max. Maybe I'm just lucky but I just cannot understand the ATI hate that some folks have (but maybe they're pissed about the lack of CUDA? ;) ) Not sure how this particular card compares to the GT 260 though.

Bootcamp works great. I have it running on a Macbook Air and a MB Pro. No problems, except the right-click-drag is weird. But that is a trackpad issue. Gaming and 3D apps work flawlessly. The integration with the apple hardware is in general very good.

The iMac is a nice machine but I read that you can not upgrade the HDD yourself any more with a 3rd party brand for mid 2011 imacs. Which sucks a lot because:
    - you're limited to the brands and size Apple offers (bye bye SSD)
    - you have to lug your imac to an apple service center (sucks if you're in the boonies)
    - it costs much more!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya -

I have been using a unibody 15 inch Macbook daily for about two years now. I made it my dedicated web and media machine, and keep my desktop PC dedicated to work and Steam games.

The laptop is really solid, I even gave CS4 a try on it back in the day and it performed surprisingly well. The OS is quite stable too, yet there's nothing magic about it either - it slows down under heavy apps, just like any OS would (Ableton with some plugins slows it down to a crawl for instance. Yet Mudbox 2009 runs great on it.)

However, there is one tiny thing worth mentioning. It's a detail, but it might have its importance : if you have been using PCs all your life, you will absolutely hate the mouse behavior on Macs. Now all Apple fanboys will tell you that it is actually better, that Steve Jobs wants it that way and you should just embrace it - truth is, it is bullshit. I tried fixing it every way possible (installing hacks, Intellipoint drivers, and so on), but nothing helped.

In essence, the mouse movement algorithm has some sort of weird mouse deceleration factor built in. Meaning that the closer you get to an icon, the slower it goes. It is fantastic for grandparents and graphic design emo kids, but if you are used to zipping around your desktop in a flash at the flick of your wrist, you will hate it.

Now on a laptop it does not bother me much since 99% of the time I need the touchpad. But if you consider working on a Mac in 2D and 3D, this one tiny detail can totally spoil your day. Make sure to give it a try first!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    forgot to add, new machines only support Win 7 via bootcamp. If you happen to love XP, you're out of luck unless you use Parallels (a windows VM), but the 3D support is still quite shaky. Don't recommend it for any serious work.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yes. You can at least run Windows on the Mac, (64 bit is do-able but still need to hunt for drivers). And run DX11 stuff if needed. So no biggie. Get it. If I had the cash, I'd get the 27" and loose the Mac Mini (and get the 21" for the wife).

Sucks that the lower end version locks you into a 500GB HDD. Typical Apple.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    I have the 22" iMac (intel i3 with an ati 5670) and its not bad. I gave OSX an honest try, and frankly, I'm not impressed. Pior mentioned perfectly one of the huge gripes I had with it. Windows management (as in, application windows/tool panels) was annoying (press the "full screen" button on a window, it enlarges to the contents of the frame)and it obviously lacked the ability to run specific software. I caved, and installed win 7 with bootcamp. I haven't been in the OSX partition in weeks as I have no reason to. The hardware is nice, but you better make sure its enough for what you need. I can run Photoshop, Mudbox, Softimage and Unity fine to a point. For the cost of admission, I would much rather have built my own, but I needed OSX so this was the best option.

Lamont wrote: »
    Sucks that the lower end version locks you into a 500GB HDD. Typical Apple.

Tell me about it. Removing or disabling features is more than just annoying. The new iMacs have thunderbolt ports, or I should say, only the 27" has thunderbolt ports. They have only one on the 22" so you can only use one external display. Lame.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    If you go one step up on the newest imac configs you can get an i7 processor as well as a choice between a 1 or 2 gig HD 6970 card. You can also configure those with both a 256 gig solid state and a 1 or 2 TB hard drive together. Not a bad 3d system by any stretch. I'm currently using the same system you are looking at and it works just fine for all my needs. My last 2 home desktops have both been iMacs and I've been pretty happy with them. I tend to upgrade my entire rig every 2 - 3 years though as I lost interest in maintaining or building my own systems awhile ago. I do all my 3d stuff on a mac and aside from the issue pior mentioned, I'm pretty happy using it for everything. They aren't bleeding edge machines, but I've never found those to be necessary for doing sculpting, modeling, texturing or rigging/animating.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Yes. You can at least run Windows on the Mac, (64 bit is do-able but still need to hunt for drivers).

bootcamp includes all the 64 bit drivers for current gen macs :)
    Just run the bootcamp installer and blam, everything is installed! I wish I had this on my windows box

i got an ati 6950 card in my PC now. very happy with it, super stable both in maya and max. I just miss having CUDA though.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have no problem with macs. I've been using them for a while and I haven't noticed the mouse thing. Also another thing to note is that my school has some Mac pros that I can you 24/7 so if there is something machine heavy I need to model... I can do it there.

I'm also not a huge pc gamer. I usually just get games on the box now because it is simpler and all my friends use it. I'm going to try and get the step up. Quad 3.2 with the 1gb video card. I think that will get the job done.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    The days of Macs being a jerk about software are hopefully coming to a close. Hardware on the other hand is always an issue. I just cut up my HDD tray on my Mac Mini to fit a 12mm tall 1TB drive. You can't go wrong with a Mac now a days, you just pay the premium for a slightly better peace of mind (and the design of the hardware, the packaging... and the 4 Apple stickers...). Now I just wish my G3 mouse could use all the buttons.

Talbot, try to get the Mac that will keep you happy/productive for as long as possible. You can always get external... and that sexy ass Thunderbolt port.

I figured the newer versions came with 64bit drivers for Bootcamp with the iX series. I had to hunt that crap down for my Core2 Mini.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I had to hunt that crap down for my Core2 Mini.

yeah that's right... Apple keeps forgetting about older machines when pushing updates :(

It's a funny situation - win 7 even runs on very old hardware which is way too slow for it, but getting the latest OS X to run on perfectly fine older Macs is sometimes almost impossible without resorting to hacks.

Yet Macs age much slower - I know plenty of people who're not into 3D or gaming who still use old PowerPC macs for their work and they're happy. Also Macs tend to retain more value than their PC counterparts when you try to sell them again. I wanted to buy an intel mac mini 2 years ago and those were still rather expensive, despite the outdated single core cpu...i settled for a G4 mini then which still works perfectly fine.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    never saw a point to getting one over just building a PC, it seems your paying more money to be limited by apple.

and im trying to be unbiased since i did used to own a mac pro and my work uses all mac pros.

and i find the argument about macs being better for certain things like media is broken i work doing post production and some music production and i don't care what platform, just as long as i have proper audio hardware and pro tools which runs just as good on both systems.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah so it looks like I'm gonna get the quad 3.1 GHz with the 1 gb video card. I can get $100 off with my student ID. So it should be pretty sick.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    My brother just got the new i7 version with the 2gb 6970m.. Very capable machine can play many games like team fortress at native res and I'll settings with 60fps constant.
    The machine is dead silent which is always nice.

As for upgradability the article linked above about hard drives is false. If you look on macrumors.com on the forums you will see many have already upgraded the hard drives to the brand new 2011 iMac.
    Even the teardown by ifixit shows it is easier to add another drive than ever before.
    For ram never buy from apple as they aree over priced.. My brother stuck with the 4gb and bought another 8 from Newegg for a total of 12gb for only 80 dollars.

With bootcamp you can run windows and it is like a tyical windows computer no difference.. so not much sacrifice there when you are forced to use a windows program.

Edit: pior, the mouse movement sucks but once you get used to it it is livable... apparently it is better in the next OS release LIon.

Oh one more thing I should mention, if you are getting a student discount wait until next week if you can. Apple will be starting their back to school program which gives a free iPod touch rebate.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah so I got one today. It took fedex forever to give me the gift card. But I got it and bought a computer today. I love it so far. I have sort of notices that mouse thing. I'm also not I big fan of the Magic Mouse. Mainly just the shape. I hate how it doesn't fill you hand.

Anyway. I love my computer!