Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yes, Another Sci Fi Hallway

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Been working on a sci-fi hallway, based on a concept by Sam Brown

This is the baked low poly's with a color blockout, not final colors.

spacehall02.jpg

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    I like it!

Why is the orc grounded over there, though? Did he do something bad?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha ;) i like it aswell, scifi corridors tend to be dark and grungy, this is kinda fresh and modern. like it alot!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Visceral wrote: »
    haha ;) i like it aswell, scifi corridors tend to be dark and grungy, this is kinda fresh and modern. like it alot!

Funny you should say that because I was thinking of making it dimly lit, lol
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i think you should really stick with the concept and stay with brighter lighting.

i actually quite like the Sam's concepts i never did a scene based off one of this concepts but i have used elements from that concept and a few others in scenes of my own.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah looks good, though it's really hard to make something interesting with this if you're gonna follow the concept closely.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    I would agree on keeping it well lit and try to capture the clean feeling the concept conveys, I like what you have so far
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Finished baking the rest of my low poly and did a simple lighting test. Not all assets have been light mapped yet, so getting a few shadow issues. But overall I'm pretty happy with it so far

spacehall05a.jpg
    spacehall05b.jpg
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    An update on texturing and some lighting! Floors and side/middle wall thingy textured for the most part.

spacehall08fixed.jpg
    spacehall08side.jpg

Here are two textures, I'm always open to feedback to help me improve

textures01.jpg
  • Brytryne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks fantastic, I hope you change your mind about the lighting and capture the feel of the first images ;)
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    I prefer his composition and lighting more.

I also like the fact that, in his image, the hallway is deeper. It probably wouldn't be much work to try this out, as it's all modular.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll play around with the lighting more and see how it looks with a more extended hallway
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Textured the rest of the wall and ceiling. Changed lighting to be more lit and extended the hall. Left to texture is pillar and doorway. As usual, I'm open to feedback

spacehall_09.jpg
    spacehall_09side.jpg
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    The assets are well made, and I like your diffuse texturing (even if I think you could make the blue parts two times as saturated or more :)).

I have some trouble with focusing. I think you'd gain a lot by just doing a wall variation that is very flat in the texture.. Just a couple of those bright metal plates, same for the ceiling. In fact... The one you have there now could be more used as a variation piece to break up the environment instead.

I also think the scene would gain a lot from some more shadows going on. You could probably easily remove every other light tbh, and try to make the light radius smaller. I thought it worked better as you had it earlier.

Made a one min tweak of a screen.. Not very good, but maybe some ideas.. I'd love to see some slight hint of orange/yellow in there, not much, just a tiny bit :)

quicktweak.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I was going to say, that it feels washed out and too desaturated. It would look real nice with some pop of color (PhillipK has a nice little example there).

I was really digging the pristine and bright look that the first screencap in the thread had. Reminds me of the feel of the Portal games.

Cool piece, looking forward to seeing more of this.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, definitely go with PhilipK's suggestions! Also, you could add some cool animating overlays on the blue bits in the floor. And holographic floaters here and there to break up the monotone-ness.
    You know, bring in some color and variation!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Very cool stuff so far. I'm not a super big fan of busy and clean scifi. I think you could simplify some lines and like PhilipK said push the saturation more. It might be really helpful to do some color paintovers in Phoshop and figured out a really strong, unified color palette for this piece.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the quick paintover, PhilipK. I'll give all the suggestions a try and see if I can get something inbetween my first few screens and my darker one. I really want some shadows in. I also agree it needs more color and is a bit too desaturated right now
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    The texture diffuse looks very sweet but i'm having a hard time reading the image. There are so many lines that my eyes don't know what to focus. Oh and I'd also remove those pillars, they are adding nothing but visual noise!

I went ahead and did two quick paintovers over Philip's one:
    alexk_paintover01.jpg
    alexk_paintover02.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    nice suggestion, looks less repeatable with a skybox and the lighting :) Try to do something like this with heavier shadows?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Rise from your grave!

I re-opened this scene for fun and one thing lead to another and this is my result. I think I'll make a crate or some sort of prop to fill up the scene a little more. Check it out

7QhDQVZ.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Your materials and textures are really really great! This scene has an incredible amount of potential.

So the lighting is washing the scene out alot. Everything in the scene seems to have an even amount of light from the ceiling to the floor. It's ok to have some dark spots in your scene. I know you fight the urge to light it all really brightly to show off the assets, but a scene like this will look much nicer with good lighting. With me I try to create pockets of light, especially with scenes like hallways or doorways. Lighting should also not have anymore than 3 colors (usually), and green is typically synonymous with alien technology. So right now your lighting seems very multicolored and alien.

You have these little coves that could house little pockets of blue light coming from above which would really help give depth to the hallway. They could also rim light the pillars that are sticking out. I would also add that accented yellow color along the path and touching on some of the pillars as well.

Now remember this is just an interpretation and not exact ha.

paintover_zps6a18c766.jpg

Hope this helps! WIll look awesome when you start to add props to populate the space!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    @wester I'll give those suggestions a try! thanks
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im in love with this, well done alexk ... sublime sheesh !!
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Nice scene. I love the colors and lighting of the first versions, but I really think there is too much detail and the eye can't rest anywhere. Also, maybe you can work in your shaders and add specular work or even reflections because everything seems a little bit dull for sci-fy.

Oh, and focus in just one main hue would be great. In the last image there is sooo many different colors and lights, so be careful to not get a disco club instead of a sci-fy scene :P

PS: I'm working on a sci-fy scene too and I would love to know how's your pipeline. I wonder what program are you using for doing the highpoly/normal maps, for example. A quick tutorial could be a really good contribution to the community :)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    PS: I'm working on a sci-fy scene too and I would love to know how's your pipeline. I wonder what program are you using for doing the highpoly/normal maps, for example. A quick tutorial could be a really good contribution to the community :)

Highpoly model in Max, bake out normal and AO maps, then use Photoshop for texturing. I also use Crazy Bump for minor things that I want to add later. Pretty simple and standard pipeline. Should be plenty tutorials online so I won't be making one :) Glad you like the scene!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    STOP titling your work "yet another sci-fi hallway"

Have some pride in your work. It looks great and you're taking constructive criticism very well with your updates. Great stuff man.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have to agree with Shogun. I honestly can't stand when people title their work "yet another, just another, or another crappy sci fi blank blank".

Give it some identity, call it something cool or cheesy. It really does add to the quality of work if you title it.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Shogun3d wrote: »
    STOP titling your work "yet another sci-fi hallway"

Have some pride in your work. It looks great and you're taking constructive criticism very well with your updates. Great stuff man.

I will from now on, lol!

More lighting adjustments. Added a little more contrast to the lighting and unified my light colors to a blueish hue instead of my previous greenish. I think it's time to make some props

51282UY.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Dont forget not to bow down to every critic or road apple you encounter. With the inner talent you have, your perfectly capable of doing it the way you like it.

;)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    A little update. Made some props and placed them.

Added a light importance volume around my scene which somehow made me lose some of my contrast from my last screenshot. Will have to correct that later on.

Next, I'm going to add some stray wires along the floor and perhaps the ceiling if I can find a good way to fit them.

w4A3ssX.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The floor feels too flat, I'd add some geometry there. Either the sides or push in the grated area.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with ZacD I would add some geo to the floor to make it look less flat.

I also might increase the reflections on the metal bits of the floor a bit more and if you have time maybe some vents with some....gah whats it called. Not smoke but you can see the water vapor coming out like when its cold outside.

Either way can't wait to see it finished man!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with Zac and bio. It's looking great, I like the lighting but the bloom/glares from the upper lights are too distracting to me. Not bad but just a little nitpicky. Keep it up.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Tweaked lighting and bloom. Cut up some more geo the floor, wall and ceiling peices. Adjusted some of my specular maps and just overall sheen of the meterials. I think a few more lighting tweaks and it'll be time to call it done.

90iMExs.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really good! I love how you're willing to iterate and address the critiques. The lighting looks better!

I would still introduce some of the yellow you have on the door, in other parts of the space. For example that texture strip on the ground along the edge of the walkways.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    wester wrote: »
    This is looking really good! I love how you're willing to iterate and address the critiques. The lighting looks better!

I would still introduce some of the yellow you have on the door, in other parts of the space. For example that texture strip on the ground along the edge of the walkways.

Thanks a great idea, would give the illusion of it leading you to the door.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks wester. I'm always open to hearing critiques and read every one, even if I don't end up using all of them :) The yellow strip sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a shot. I think once I'm done with this scene, I'll write up a quick post mortem. It's been interesting coming back to this scene after 2 years
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Ta da! Here are my beauty shots and, barring any huge errors, I'm calling it done. Actually, there is one huge error that I couldn't fix... can you notice it? :) I have a small post-mortem at the bottom

1sLFJiZ.jpg
    ZUbG1Z4.jpg
    FF9wxbF.jpg
    o8GplIy.jpg
    mabXeG2.jpg
    5LOJSj5.jpg

Post-Mortem

Opening this up again after 2 years was quite an experience. Back then, I was very big on "letting the normal map do all the work" so my low-poly was terribly, well, low poly. And at times, it's like I painted myself into a corner when it came time to adding set dress. There just wasn't any where to put them! My choice in concept art 2 years ago, also led to a few frustrating moments when it came to lighting and trying to add colour. When I picked the concept, I liked the repetitive shapes, but once modeled, it didn't translate too well. Luckily, a few of the suggestions in this thread as well as suggestions from friends helped to bring the scene together. But ultimately, the modeled environment stayed close to the concept and I just decided to stick with it.

The difference between when I left off and now is quite large, so what did I learn in 2 years? I think the two big ones were: Lighting and post processing. Lighting in UDK is something I struggle with all the time. I had many iterations and many lightmap issues to solve. On the other hand, messing around with the post-process chain was really fun. Also adjusting the specular power and redoing my specular maps helped improve my material definition

So what is the error that I couldn't fix? The canister/barrel thing has a very messed up light map. Check out my post in the Technical Forum, UDK for pics and if you know how to fix it, please tell me!
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    wow the progression on this is really wide. looks so good
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    dogzer wrote: »
    I like it!

Why is the orc grounded over there, though? Did he do something bad?

LOL.

This is looking sweet man!