Home Technical Talk

[Maxscript] FB quickLoopRing and UVconversion

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
Heyo all,

I've recently upgraded from max 2009 after sticking with it for a long time and one of the things that became annoying to me during brawl was the lack of a Shift+click edgeloop function for the Unwrap_UVW modifier and Skin modifiers. So I've hacked together something like that, so figured I'd share :)

FB_quickLoopRing.ms is a startup script that runs whenever you hold shift and select an adjacent subobject to your previous selection. It works on faces, verts, and edges. If you're using max 2010+ it'll do a UV-centric loop if you're selecting from the UV editor or a Geom-centric loop if you're using the viewport selection.
It's made for max 2010+ but it works okay on max 2009
FB_quickLoopRing1.gif

Also, since I'm talking about UVs already I also made another quick script for converting UV selections with CTRL.
FB_UVconversion.ms - basically when you switch subobject modes it checks to see if youre on a uv modifier and if you hit ctrl, and if so it'll convert it.
Unlikely, but I don't know what scripts you're using so it's entirely possible it could fight with something you're already running.
FB_UVconversion.gif

let me know if you have any issues

============
Installation:
============
For both of these, just drop them into ...Program Files/Autodesk/3dsMaxXXXX/Scripts/Startup/ and restart max and it'll be enabled. If you want to disable it, just delete it from that folder and restart max. :)

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome!!
    Its such an Obvious thing, You have to wonder why AD dont generalise selection methods across the whole app. XBR perhaps....(not holding breath)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    always patching that 15 year old software ;) I really hope they make some progress on their XBR stuff because max is aging very fast and almost getting to old. I know that they improved some stuff in regards of UV in 2012 but I think this was not part of it (haven't checked it yet out).
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I love the way you did the trigger, I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it a little while ago and never thought of doing a callback.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOO HOO! I've been after the ctrl-selection convert for years thanks a bunch. And yea for the handful of tweaks they did to the UV editor they still didn't straighten out some long running issues... sigh... I can only hope that they aren't done with it yet.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic, thank you.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome. so very useful. thanks
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The UV conversion script sounds baller but in 2010 and up (I think, whenever they added polyboost as Graphite Modeling Tools) they've had ring, loop, grow-ring and grow-loop selection functions already built in that you can bind to hotkeys. Unlike the ancient shitty loop tool in editable poly, these work on any sub-object (except grow-ring doesn't work on polys since it would break the concept of a ring) and are in fact pretty similar to the functionality you implemented (select a subobject + adjacent subobject for vert/poly and mash button to get the selection).

If you upgraded from 2009 to something later you ought to poke around the graphite modeling tools, they have a ton of useful shit that 2009 and lower didn't have without polyboost.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this isnt for modeling though Ghostscape. Its for the ring and loop in the uvw editor, which lacks the same functionality of the modeling tools
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ya'll!
    and thanks ghostscape, you're right I might be missing something

but I moved from 2009 to 2012 and I can't seem to get the behavior you're talking about within UnwrapUVW and the Skin modifiers. The idea was just to try and emulate the behavior graphite adds to the Editable Poly tools.

Does it work for you? maybe I'm doing something wrong :X
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Nevermind I'm an idiot and missed where you had this working in any subobject mode, not just editable poly. that's actually super baller :)
  • Praglik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Praglik polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for this useful script !
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Great scripts.
    After installing i've found that holding shift to constrain movement in the uv editor no longer works...hold shift and move verts to contrain along one axis, as soon as releasing it snaps back to the original position. I've had to do a work around and hold shift, then hold ctrl, release and it will work.
    Anyone else had this issue after installing the scripts?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Oh God YES! Thank you! Just so you know, if we ever meet up, beer is on me.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one Funky Bunnies, these look really useful :)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks dudes! :D

airbrush: can you open FB_quickLoopRing.ms and see if it's version 1.1 or 1.0?
    I noticed this problem and it shoould have been fixed with 1.1. If so, you should be able to simply overwrite it with version 1.1

if not lemme know what version of max are you using? and I'll see if I can fix it :)
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    Yah it was version 1...will try out the new script today and see. I'm using 2010

thanks dudes! :D

airbrush: can you open FB_quickLoopRing.ms and see if it's version 1.1 or 1.0?
    I noticed this problem and it shoould have been fixed with 1.1. If so, you should be able to simply overwrite it with version 1.1

if not lemme know what version of max are you using? and I'll see if I can fix it :)