Home General Discussion

New Mini Tut - Selection

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hey there, guys and gals!
Here's a little something I whipped up lately. Basically it's a little tutorial that shows how to make this

Selection_Example3.gif

kinds of selections in a second. I really tried to use more a of "show, don't tell" approach so it's kind of a real quickie.
Chances are most you do things that way already, but I thought it'd be worth a shot.

Tell me what you think.

Oh, and special thanks to S2Engine for some feedback along the way.

Cheers, hope it's helpful.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Cool, I use pretty much all of this, for me it sorta came together with getting good at things and starting to work fast and efficient.
    A few of them could even be done with less clicks if you use "By Angle" selection settings. Especially that first one is just a single click.
    Though that does require some tweaking of the treshold value at times.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Last one: select edge, loop, convert to faces, deselect(alt-box) rest of it. 3 less clicks.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Cool, I use pretty much all of this, for me it sorta came together with getting good at things and starting to work fast and efficient.

Yeah, same here. But I've never seen it posted anywhere so I thought it might be worth it.
    It's funny that you said that you use pretty much all of this because this wasn't really meant to be as a presentation of everything you can do with it. But that kinda got me thinking, that maybe it's worth adding new images at times when you find a really fast way to make a complex selection? That way it'll eventually teach more different tricks instead of just the core concept. What do you think?

Xoliul wrote: »
    A few of them could even be done with less clicks if you use "By Angle" selection settings. Especially that first one is just a single click.
    Though that does require some tweaking of the treshold value at times.

I don't really like using select "By Angle" except for when unwrapping because a lot of times I just want to select that single face on a flat surface and have to go back and forth to toggle it.
    qlz wrote: »
    Last one: select edge, loop, convert to faces, deselect(alt-box) rest of it. 3 less clicks.

So very right you are, sir. I wanted to something that will show how by selecting a single vert you get 4 polys and I did just that, but when I finished the gif and looked at it "from aside" I noticed just what you said. And was kinda on the fence about redoing it since I was in a hurry. And then, the second I come home I see that the watchful eye of polycount never sleeps and that you've already exposed my stupidity to the internees.:) I'll fix it, I promise.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I had an interesting one like this too when I had to select every other polygon on the side of a cylinder. Point was to create a sprocket with teeth, for the Dozer DVD. I spent a while figuring things out with StepRing/StepLoop from the Graphite tools. I was really confused at first since it doesn't allow StepRing with polygons, coming from always using ring on edges for cylinders like that. Turned out to be a single click after you select two polygons to show it the direction of the loop. (there is no ring or loop direction for poly's like there is for edges)