Home General Discussion

It begins.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
Check this out: WoW is actually losing players. The lowest it has been since 2008.

http://kotaku.com/#!5800175/world-of-warcraft-suffers-post+cataclysmic-drop-in-subscriptions

So what do you guys think? Is this just the player count finding an equilibrium after the new expansion, or are people finally getting tired of it? Do you think another expansion will set a new record amount of players like Cataclysm did?

Personally, I find it funny so many people run around calling every other MMO, "The WoW Killer" when it's pretty clear the only company that can kill WoW is Blizzard... Which many seem to think they are doing perfectly well.

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    hhhmmmm... you know it makes me laugh when I see things like this. Lowest subscriptions since 2008? So, what they only have 10 million subscriptions at the moment? I imagine a bunch of people are trying out "Rift." I let my subscription lapse while I tried it out and I'm not sure which if either I'll go with. Regardless, WoW prints money and as some people will leave for good, some will also come running back.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    praetus makes good points. I also like to think that any game that utterly dominates its competition for 7 years is rather astounding. I mean it is a game that has nearly outlived the entire console cycle. I don't think WoW will be declared dead for quite a long time.

That being said, I have to agree with you too PatrickL, I canceled my subscription because I had my fill after the expansion lost its interest for me. I am sure I'm not the only one either. The only company that will end up taking down WoW is Blizzard, when their new MMO comes out, but knowing how long Blizzard works on games we may see it in the next 20 years.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I find the title of this thread ironic. No other comments though, WOW may soon eclipse religion or the weather for the most discussed topic in human history.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I was surprised to learn that Blizzard has been reporting actual subscription numbers all along. For some reason I always figured the numbers were total subscriptions not total active subscriptions.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sensationalist news. they can lose a couple of million players and still be pretty extremely profitable.... heck, UO is still online ;)
    It's probably just some fluctuation for now. But eventually numbers will go down. But there's no surprise in that, or else Blizz could fire everyone and stop caring about the future.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Here is Blizzard's definition of subscriber from their financial reports:
    World of Warcraft subscribers are defined to include: (1) individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft , (2) those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access, and (3) Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days. The definition of subscribers does not include any players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, or expired prepaid cards.