Home General Discussion

Thor!!!

WOW....one of "THE BEST" super hero movies to date! period! the execution was amazing, they captured not only the likeliness and personality of Thor but the entire essence of the man! the feel of Asgard was exactly what i would imagine that place to feel like, i expected nothing less for gods. The sense of scale simply amazing.

however......there were a few(and they are so minor that its not worth discussing)shots where the animation could have been tighter on some of the cg elements, that in nooooo way degrade this movie or take away from the awesomeness of this film!

not that it matters...but it has my stamp of approval:thumbup:

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the way Thor regained his powers was probably the cheesiest moment in recent movie history.

it set it up well for the avengers though, especially if you watched until after the credits.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    i think the way Thor regained his powers was probably the cheesiest moment in recent movie history.

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw the scene:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyocqm_HU4[/ame]

It was a very good movie, but had some pacing issues. They had to cram too much into the ending, and it shows.

Also I take back my initial skepticism on the costumes, they look just fine.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last week, it was OK. Chris Hemsworth was good as Thor, nice Hawkeye cameo. 3rd act dragged with weak final battle.

Idris Elba was a good Heimdall too.

7/10 in it's genre.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it :) It was a movie that, on paper, sounded totally ridiculous and yet they managed to pull it off in the same universe as Hulk and Ironman.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    film was horrible. done Avengers and lets move on

i simply disagree, you can say you didn't like it due to personal preference and what you value in movies, however saying this was a "horrible film" without really saying why isn't very convincing to me.

i went in just as skeptic as most people not sure if they would have captured the character, and or stay true to the universe, but they really nailed it for me.

@defacto
    i thought the same thing going in,i was prepared to see their costumes and be completely unimpressed but man did they do a good job. Heimdall's character and costume was fya!!!!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It was good, much better than Iron Man 1 and 2.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Had a great time watching this one. Story was formulaic as hell, dialogue was immature at times, yadda, yadda, still enjoyed the hell out of it. Definitely a must see. Good ol' comic book fun.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Both me and the gf enjoyed it, She doesn't have a geeky upbringing so i have to explain all the easter eggs and such. I missed hawkeye tho. Well. I knew there was something special with the dude as much as they showed him doing fancy shit but I didn't know who it was.

I'm happy they didnt give thor his helmet ;)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ lol at the comments. I liked it a lot. :)
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Its sad when I am the one who starts all the movie's at my theater but I have no time to watch anything. Guess I got to stay after we close, kickback with a few beers and watch it with my girl.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing it next weekend... heard good and bad things from my friends in the US who have seen it though...
    one being the 3d being arsetastic and even someone said his hammer looked like a toy :/
    Going to interrogate them further before I see it :D
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Oh aye, forgot to say the costumes all looked like plastic, and when Sif and co showed up walking down the street it looked like 4 cosplayers at comicon.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Oh aye, forgot to say the costumes all looked like plastic, and when Sif and co showed up walking down the street it looked like 4 cosplayers at comicon.

And that was one the jokes.
    "Is there a renassaince fair in town?"
    "eh, report it, "
    "Command, We have a xena, robin hood, etc"
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It is true to the Marvel Studio formula which is Big Headed person falls from grace meets a women has a intimate moment but doesn't have sex only kisses her or awkward moments with her and gets a revelation trying to save her.The action was horrid.

So he has to have sex with her to fall in love for her? There are plenty of points in the movie, where his admiration for her develops. Some people just want to hate though :P

Anyway, just got back a bit ago, and me and the family really enjoyed it. I still think Ironman was better, but still worthy of a theater view, and way better than the Hulk (either one).
  • Call Me Snoopy
    I saw it today, I loved it! :D

I liked the special effects... and the wormholes! \m/(>_<)\m/
    Nothing is more manly than traversing through wormholes at super fast speeds. :poly122:

It was a good movie.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Loved this movie.

But I'm a biased fanboy. Totally love that character, so they couldn't have screwed this up no matter what. Plus, my company did the Thor DS game, so there's some extra bias there.

Pretty kickass movie though. My only complaint is that it's like three movies crammed into one. I wish they had done like three or seven movies or something, instead of just one.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Got back from seeing it, and I'm going to go ahead and give this one a recommendation. Though far from perfect, I found it quite an enjoyable experience.

A think a large part of this was the character of Thor himself. He comes across as a muscle headed moron, but the more time you spend with him the more you start to see that he's basically a decent guy who just got a little full of himself. He also has a decent character arc over the course of the film. He starts off with obvious flaws, is punished for his shortcomings by being thrown into a difficult situation, struggles to overcome this situation, and by the end he has learned a valuable lesson and grown as a character. A lot of films either gloss over or ignore this basic tenet of storytelling. With Thor they execute the character arc very well.

And I felt almost the same way about the film's antagonist, Loki. If they had made Loki purely evil, I think it would have been a weaker film. As it stands, they do a fairly decent job of making him a "trickster." He's more interested in deceiving people just for the sake of deception itself. He has no ultimate goal or ambition. On a different villain this would seem aimless, but applied to this character it works rather well. They manage to create a delightfully duplicitous villain and still convince the audience to have some level of sympathy for him.

I was also quite pleased with the humor. There were only a very small number of groan-worthy lines. For the most part the humor was well-timed and delivered.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ok, that was really, REALLY bad. At least the first 20 minutes. Can't tell about the rest, I was home by then.
    BTW, why so much hate on the first Hulk movie ? I thought that was way better than this Thor thing. Meh.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed it. Not quite as good as the first Ironman. The worst thing that stood out to me was whenever Thor spun his hammer in circles. The effect works better in comics or animated than in a live action film.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was really good. Nothing to write home about, but a pretty solidly good action movie.

Interesting how polarizing it seems to have been.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Ok, that was really, REALLY bad. At least the first 20 minutes. Can't tell about the rest, I was home by then.
    BTW, why so much hate on the first Hulk movie ? I thought that was way better than this Thor thing. Meh.

lol what do you mean? You paid for a ticket, saw 20 minutes and took off?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, why wasting my time and brain cells if I dont like it ? I'm at home watching another movie instead :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    +1.

I think the ppl who enjoyed it was expecting to enjoy it and didnt see much flaws. I went in expecting average but got very below average

and you wouldn't at all argue that people who didn't enjoy it went in expecting not to enjoy it?

i think you went in looking for flaws, and found them.
    don't get me wrong, i did too. but i went to see it with my gf + kids, which made the entire experience different from if i had gone alone, or even with just the gf.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I came in expecting a trainwreck, and was surprised at how well put together it was :)
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    BTW, why so much hate on the first Hulk movie ?

AGREED. hulk 1 has been my favorite marvel movie to date. :thumbup:

but yea, I saw thor. didn't hate it.

I was totally unfamiliar with the storyline tho, so all I can comment on is that the costumes were disappointing, all the way down to anthony hopkins' sequined sash. and I don't think you could make the claim that the costume's were purposefully made to look cheap. It doesn't make sense, when everything else was gritty CG. Although the hammer did look like something out of a Happy Meal.

So idk, maybe that was some sort of awful design decision, but regardless, it looked stupid and stuck out like a sore thumb.

The movie experience itself was pretty entertaining tho. I can't really give a reason for why, but it was a fun atmosphere at a midnight release and 150+ drunk dorks in a room is a recipe for success.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1.

I think the ppl who enjoyed it was expecting to enjoy it and didnt see much flaws. I went in expecting average but got very below average

Actually, I went in not expecting much. I saw people saying how horrible it was, and critics were saying how great it was (which always makes me nervous). I was glad when it didn't end up sucking.

Pior, what was so unappealing about the first 20? I thought it started off slow, but felt it picked up reasonably quick.

Also, everyone in the theater with us, seemed to enjoy it. Even the giant group of comic book geeks that sat behind us.

Special note for others who still want to see it. There IS something after the credits.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Got back from seeing it, and I'm going to go ahead and give this one a recommendation. Though far from perfect, I found it quite an enjoyable experience.

This

Compared to allot of films recently I thought it was pretty good. I tend to try and see a movie at least once a month in the cinema and this one has been the best choice this year (mind you not much competition :P).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilga : then go and watch Source Code !!! Best movie in a while!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I personally think Source Code is best movie of the year so far.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    That'll be my next viewing then :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The first Hulk movie was extremely slow and plodding. It had some of the worst pacing of any action film. In fact, I'm not sure it can even qualify as an action film.

Naturally, that is not a criticism of the film itself, but of its marketing. It was billed as a big-budget comic-book adapted action film, and in that regard it failed to deliver.

It showed considerably more promise as an involved character study. Unfortunately, the character it was studying was uninteresting, unappealing, and woefully mis-cast. When you have what is essentially a re-telling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, there needs to be a perceptible contrast between the two. In the first Hulk film, they cast an abnormally large, tall, handsome, muscle-bound hunk as Dr. Bruce Banner. And whenever he turned into the Hulk, he seemed to spend an unusual amount of time being calm and contemplative, rather than wrecking everything in sight. The character of the Hulk is the embodiment of human aggression and unbridled fury. The angrier he gets, the stronger he gets.

The second Hulk film did a better job of characterizing the Hulk and Dr. Banner. (Edward Norton was a pretty solid choice for the role, he can look scrawny while still delivering believable emotional intensity) But the story that surrounded that character development was a little weak, and suffered from their attempts to tie it into the Marvel film continuity. The Abomination was also a bit of an obvious choice for the villain, and they didn't do as much with him as they could have.

Ang Lee's effort was far more ambitious, but flawed. (and woefully mis-targeted) The second film was more solid in terms of popular entertainment, but did nothing different and ultimately said nothing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think I have to watch it again :) I didn't see the first Hulk in theaters tho, just on DVD. And the making of documentary was certainly a big part of the enjoyment. I remember loving the desert scenes tho!

As for Source Code, yeah - certainly one of the best movies of the year. I don't know if it makes sense, but right from the very first scene I was thinking : "Wait ... this is REAL movie!! Like it's supposed to be made!"

Quite an euphoric feeling actually. Akin to District9 or Pans Labyrinth - that underlying sensation telling you that the person behind the movie is in full control and cares about what he/she is doing.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Saw It today in 3D was good to me and I liked what they did with the outro/credits or at least the start of them, stayed for that after and I never really stay for credits.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. They finally show the title, at the end of the movie. I turned to my wife and said, "did they even show a title at the start of this?" I like this method. I mean, you know what you're there to see, why do I need them to show me?
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Saw it, LOVED it. Hoping that Smallville final is at least half as good as the part at the end when he gets his hammer back. Please Smallville, don't fuck us.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. They finally show the title, at the end of the movie. I turned to my wife and said, "did they even show a title at the start of this?" I like this method. I mean, you know what you're there to see, why do I need them to show me?

Nolan did that with The Dark Knight - you don't see the title until Gordon's speech says those words right at the end of the film. So cool, actually gave me chills the first time I saw it :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This was pretty much my biggest complaint with the film. I can kinda talk myself around the pacing issues and dialogue a bit (parts felt like a stage play, might have been what Brannagh wanted), but the costumes looked oddly cheap and fake. I think they tried to emulate the classic comic look a bit too much, and it ended up too cheesy. The armor should have looked more like something Vikings might have actually worn, and Mjolnir... bleh. Thor's hammer should look like a massive block of steel, not a life-size kids toy.

Marvel adapted Captain America's costume into the real world very well, so I'm not sure why they didn't make sure Thor was handled the same way.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Oh dear

was going to go watch this :S
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Marvel adapted Captain America's costume into the real world very well, so I'm not sure why they didn't make sure Thor was handled the same way.

Captain America is supposed to be a World War II soldier. Thor is a space-viking. Why on earth would they bother trying to make anything in Thor "real" or "gritty?" It's pretty much as purely fantastical as you can get.

I honestly didn't have any problems with the costumes. Yes, they were quite obviously exaggerated and colorful. But the sheer lengths that they went to with the style used in the movie made it feel more like a classic comic book. And I liked that. The costumes helped the movie feel more vibrant, and they even served as decent fodder for humor. (another instance of the film not taking itself too seriously)

Sometimes its just nice to have a comic-book movie that feels like its source material. Not everything needs to be like Christopher Nolan's interpretation of Batman.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Captain America is supposed to be a World War II soldier. Thor is a space-viking. Why on earth would they bother trying to make anything in Thor "real" or "gritty?" It's pretty much as purely fantastical as you can get.

Well, because it would look better. Not that I'm advocating "gritty" or whatever, but the literal hammer of the gods shouldn't look like it's made out of plastic.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Well, because it would look better.

Would it? Or would it simply be more in line with your personal expectations? They didn't go into this film thinking that they would make some sort of re-telling of classic Norse mythology. They didn't slap beards on everyone or dress all the actors as if they had just stepped out of Lord of the Rings. This was never supposed to be a high-fantasy film. This is magic space vikings! And magic space vikings are allowed to have magic space armor that looks like it was inspired by Flash Gordon.

They went with a particular style and stuck to it. If you aren't on board with it, that's your preference. But I don't think you can say that the movie was bad because you didn't like how the hammer looked.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think that the original classic Thor costume would have been a much better fit (In a 300 Spartan kind of way)

Classic_Thor-statue.jpg&sa=X&ei=gHnITe6vLe3UiALp3t2FBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGF3bm92ltZHrwLrFjsgZmVJxa9sg

Isnt this badass!!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Good film.

Haters gonna hate, what can I say?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it? Or would it simply be more in line with your personal expectations? They didn't go into this film thinking that they would make some sort of re-telling of classic Norse mythology. They didn't slap beards on everyone or dress all the actors as if they had just stepped out of Lord of the Rings. This was never supposed to be a high-fantasy film. This is magic space vikings! And magic space vikings are allowed to have magic space armor that looks like it was inspired by Flash Gordon.

They went with a particular style and stuck to it. If you aren't on board with it, that's your preference. But I don't think you can say that the movie was bad because you didn't like how the hammer looked.

D:

First of all, I didn't say the movie was bad. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and Hemsworth was just amazingly well cast. Literally, my main complaint was that I didn't like the costumes. How bad could it possibly be if the thing that I most object to in the whole film is the wardrobe selection?

Second... well yeah, it's my preference. We were giving opinions here, right? If there's a definition of opinion that doesn't involve giving one's preference, I don't know what that would be.

If you dig the glossy plastic armor and a Mjolnir that looks like its made out of injection-molded PVC, then rock on, man. I'm honestly glad people appreciate what Brannagh and his team did, even if I don't personally prefer it, because the better it does at the box office, the more they'll invest in making Thor 2 equal or surpass the first one.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Spoilers ahead;
    I watched this last night. I honestly don't know if it was money well spent. It was somewhat entertaining, but I didn't really like the movie as much as I usually like these kind of superhero action movies. There was a sillyness over the entire movie that made me not take the movie seriouslyl(You have to to some extent); That scientist scoobydoo gang, those cheesy friends of Thor and all those stupid looking suits. I just couldn't see the guy playing Loki as a bad guy either. He actually came off more as a good guy to me than Thor. I've never liked it when they try to show some character as bad/jelous/mischiefous by having other characters just say it. It's cheap and I don't buy it.
    Also Thor became a good person because of the girl? I thought it was because of not being able to lift the hammer and realising he suddenly can't get everything for free?
    The fights were pretty fun though. Did anyone else think of Gort when they saw that guardian robot? :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    thought it was ok, could of been better but its definetly watchable. pacing was terrible!!!!
    I didnt like how he was banished and learned his lessons overnight, his sacrificing his life came off super rubbish, just came across as I have nothing else to live for as I cant go back home so just kill me now. And yea the scooby doo gang seemed really stupid, Natalie Portmans characters connection with thor seemed stupid too, she spent 2 days with him, if that and now is his soul mate or what not. Pacing was just all out of wack for me and the villain was poor poor poor.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I liked the movie for the most part. Thought the characters were deep enough for a hero movie/action movie. Asgard looked really cool and the rainbow bridge effects were awesome. I didn't quite see the super hero though in this super hero movie. I mean he's Thor shouldn't he be saving people on earth? I guess he did save Asgard and a few of those people in Arizona or where ever that is...I wish they could've expanded upon the human Asgard interaction a bit more. Oh well ....
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah what Crazyfool said.

It's good. But it feels like they crammed 3 movies into one. They rushed it so much that his character changes literally overnight. It could have been an entire movie in and of itself, which in my opinion would have rocked.

BTW, I really dislike the original Thor design. I think they dropped the ball on that one. They gave him a tiny hammer, tiny winged helmet, and huge pointy bits at the knees. What's more important about Thor? The hammer, or the knee-piece of the boots? I don't get it.

In my mind, this is what Thor should look like:
    frank-frazetta-dark-kingdom.jpg

But I've seen very few Thor designers who pushed him that far.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Spoilers ahead;

Also Thor became a good person because of the girl? I thought it was because of not being able to lift the hammer and realising he suddenly can't get everything for free? :)

the girl, the death of head father*, being banished and not being able to lift the hammer/being power less. now that i think about it he recovered really fast o_O.

good movie. could have been better...but it was enjoyable.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @bigjohn: Is that marvel's Thor or the original nordic mythology Thor? He doesn't look like a superhero on that picture(Not that the one in the movie did much). It's a very cool design nevertheless.

@Dn2:
    Oh yeah, forgot about those parts. So there were even more things than the girl.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this but I found it a bit strange that they put a swedish character(Skarsg