Home Technical Talk

New PC freezes when playing games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
ok a bit back i put up a thread on building a new pc, well i got it going and am having some issues

heres the bits i got

i72600k 3.4 proccessor
8gb ram (2 4gb sticks)
asus P8P67 LE re3 mobo
geforce 560ti vid card

when i put it together being not aware that heatsinks nowdays come pre applied with thermal gell i acidently picked it up an smeared the gell a bit, after putting it together i noticed i must have smeared it a bit too much cause my temps were runnin a bit high, around 35-40c at desktop an when i got in a game (badco2) it would get to 80-90 pretty fast so i stopped.

The next day i decided to go get some more thermgrease an reset the heatsink, and after a bit of online research i decided to beef up the cpu heatsink and fan, so i got this little thing
final1.jpg
and installed it last nite, i also added one more intake on the side of my case, giving me 3 120 intakes one 140 intake and a 120 exhaust .

the cace runs cool as a cucumber now. the cpu desktops at 20c or below and 50c at load. mobo temp is as always around 20-25c

the prob is my games freeze after a couple minutes,, hard freeze reboot. i have latest vidio drivers.

my next steps when i get home is update my mobo bios, which is a long shot to fix the prob, but needs to be done anyways, and after that get some monitor software an check the temp on the gpus and if they are over heating, then crank up the gpu fans.

if this does not fix it my next steps will be returning parts one by one to frys an see if something was defected.

and why when i am loged in an type a post every time i submit it tells me i am not loged in!

any thoughts or tips?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that pre-applied paste is damn annoying it got me too the first time I ran into it, only I had already planned to apply it on my own and had more than enough to do the job, so I cleaned it up and applied my own.

With the smearing of the paste and not reapplying it right away, you probably toasted some parts of the CPU and maybe damaged the main board... I don't think its software related but I guess you can try it and see. Even the best cooling now will only keep the problem from getting worse and won't reverse the damage :(
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm i thought about that but its not like the temp shot up super fast, and it never got over 90 and from what i read thats not enough to damage it at such short times.

also i paid for the cpu mobo ram waranty at frys so if i cant get it goin i'm goina swap out for a new mobo
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that's an average temp, if the thermal paste was uneven, then certain areas were probably getting hotter than others. 130c in some areas and 60c in others... It was happening quite a bit when people would do their own paste, which is one of the reasons they started applying it for everyone heh.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    With the smearing of the paste and not reapplying it right away, you probably toasted some parts of the CPU and maybe damaged the main board...

I really doubt that, modern CPUs throttle down before cooking themselves.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The throttling is normally based on the average temp and assumes the paste is even.

If its not a heat cooking issue, could it be the mamoth cooling unit stressing the mainboard? That depends on how heavy it is and how they fasten it. I have a giant coolmaster V8 and I put a bracket in the case to help support it so the whole thing wasn't hanging off the mainboard.

Going back to the software, depending on the video card, the latest drivers might not be the best? You might want to try something a little older. But it really depends on if they released the drivers to introduce new features or to fix old bugs. New feature drivers often break more than they fix...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no its definately not the heatsink i know several guys here at work with them, an no problems, its super light, its also got great reviews on the sites i checked.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps it's a memory issue?

I had a bad RAM chip that ran fine until the system used up enough to hit the bad chip and *crash*.

Only really happened in really heavy usage circumstances like games or massive 3D scenes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats good, I should probably pick one up then heh, the V8 is a beast, but does keep things really cool.

Yea, then probably explore the software issues as much as you can but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something hardware related. We're talking about microscopic chambers that are carved into amazingly fragile metal wafer with a laser. It doesn't take much to fry a few of those and upset things... When you compare a microscopic chamber to the area missing thermal paste it wouldn't be hard to knock out billion of them without the average temp raising too far...

DOOM DOOM DOOM!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Run a memory test on your ram / swap video cards. Usually when games lock up its either drivers/ram/card overheating.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just checked the v8 is 1.91 lbs an the zalman 9900 is 1.60 lbs so while not a feather it is a bit lighter,

another thing i like is that the fain aims straight at your rear exhaust fan,getting the hot air out teh case pronto
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it only freeze up when gaming? Do you get any graphic artifacts leading up to this?
    I'd look at separating CPU/GPU/RAM problems, maybe run a benchmark that stresses one at a time. RAM should be easy to test via POST, uncheck 'quick boot' for a full memory scan.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i got it or well about 30 minutes of badco with no issue

i think it was how i had my ram in i had them in slots next to each other, when i moved them apart (where they were both in the same color slot) it seems to work fine!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Do'h!! That's how ram is supposed to be. Channels. A1 and A2 (yellow and yellow).
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actualy on this board its a1 and b1 black an black
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Either way, it's color coded for the channels.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    make sure you have the latest drivers (270.61) for the 560, i used to have some issues before with older drivers but seems ok now
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, glad you figured it out!

You have only two sticks of ram on a triple channel board?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afaik, the I7 sandybridge CPUs use dual channel, the older I7s, 960 etc used triple channel. But maybe this is dependent on the mobo?

Yeah a quick google shows his mobo is dual channel.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup dual channel, i'm so stoked about finaly getting this thing going, all thats really left is to open it back up and try and clean up my wiring right now its spaghetti nightmare.

its running at a chill 20c now think i may crank the proccessor up a bit an see how it handles
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    I cant wait for mine almost the same specs except the i5 2500k should have everything here by wed.