Home Technical Talk

Modeling workflow advice - Art Test

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycount in need of a hand once again.

I have been asked to do a character art test. They have given me a this concept and told me to just do the high-poly and texture in 2-3days.

So the concept throws up some areas that I am unsure the best way to approach. So I looking for your advice on the following parts.

arttest.jpg

1.Fur and Feathers.

I unsure the best way to make this look convincing. I think the concept shows fur on the jacket and feathers on the boots. I have tried duplicating along a path for the feathers on the boots but I am not really happy with it. Any better methods or workflows would be great.

2. Straps. Splines in Max am sure Ive seen this done tons of times just cant find any tutorials how.

3. Cloth
I know I can sculpt the cloth I Zbrush but It will be hard to get looking natural and I was hoping to go with some form of procedural method as a starting block but cant find any good tutorials how to pull this off.

Here is what I have so far your feedback would be great guys as It could help me land a spot on the team which would be a great experince so please chime in if you have any suggestions!

Thanks in advance :poly124:

arttest2.jpg

Replies

• haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, high poly and texture in 2-3 days? That's pretty hardcore for an entire character... or maybe i'm just slow. :poly136:

For the fur, I would sculpt it as if it was going to be baked down on to a plane and cut out with alpha since it looks like long fur. So you might not need anything really fancy, just a shape that has the detail you need to get.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In comparison to the concept, I'd say raise the knees, lengthen+shape the boots, give her more curve around the hips and increase the contrast between the arms and the forearm padding.

Good luck
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Straps, use renderable splines derived from low poly geometry (retopo that section, get your splines and import as a sub-tool). You can either paint the splines on the surface, or make a few cuts and convert the edges to splines. Either way, super easy to do with splines...

Fur, I'd handle that in max/maya. Create fur cards, use the cards to generate fur and if you where to take it all the way bake it to the cards.

Cloth, max has great cloth, so does Maya. In max the Live Drag feature is great at tweaking cloth. Simulate it a little, grab a poly, turn on live drag, and nudge the cloth around until you get some nice folds, then if you need to go sculpt it.