Home General Discussion

-- Belly Off Club --

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    How much protection does that headgear you're wearing provide Lamont?
    It still hurts, but it keeps the ears nose safe. You can still get rocked on the chin. Boxing is great, running is great, biking is great. Just get up and do something. Nose fixes itself easy. Teeth, yeah, they don't come back, and they hurt like a bitch when they come out (never had it happen, but a friend did and he said it sucks).

In the US, tons of garbage (yet delicious) foods in crazy portions were readily available 24 hours a day. On late nights while working, I'd drive to Jack in the Crack, or In and Out and get huge portions of food. Then go home and eat. Or I'd eat two or three bowls of Capt N Crunch while watching cartoons. It's not the foods fault, it's my fault, I could easily go to these places and get a normal meal, and get off my butt and do something.

I'd kill a man for carne asada fries right now. Been 2.5 years.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This thread is super inspiring and got me back on track, but I'm wondering...

Is there anything you guys are unwilling to give up for your diet?

For me, it's beer. I realize it's definitely against my best interests but I gotta enjoy my weekend beer. As I type this I am many beers in (a guy at the bar came up and even gave us a free pitcher he didn't want)... Anyone else have something similar?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peanut butter, cake and ice cream. I still eat it but not so much. It's been months since I've had it (over a year).
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, i'm about 6ft and at my worst, i was 352 lbs but over the past 1/2 year i've dropped to 302-308lbs, which is the weight i've held the past month or so. but i'm looking to hitting 297 lbs within the next month or so.haven't drunk soda in years, and generally thought i ate pretty healthy, with junk like chocolate and ice cream 1-2 times a week. instead i found out i ate it nearly 4-5 times a week.

i'd recommend people track exactly what they eat, when they eat it, and how much.
    also, if its hard for you, and you don't have an iron will don't try and cut out junkfood completely, because you'll probably relapse heavily after a month or 2.
    instead, relegate it to one day a week. i chose saturday, but it became friday.

another thing that is important, is to eat varied, so you get all the nutrients you need.
    if your diet is very one-sided, you'll get "cravings", and over time, this will manifest in diseases caused by deficiency.

my diet when i lost most of my weight was, spinach, carrots, beans, with reindeer meat, and a bit of coffee cream, which amounted to about 1300 kcal in total.
    it was the only thing i ate during the day. exercise was fairly moderate, 1 hour walk about 3 days a week.

oh yeah, someone said "don't eat too much nuts" i'll second that. some nuts have more energy in them than chocolate for a 100g serving, up to 800 kcal in comparison, butter contains 730 kcal.

generally, be very careful with foods with 300 kcal or above, try to moderate foods in the 70-300 kcal range, and eat as much as you please of anything below 70 kcal.

there's some foods you can eat, that actually causes you to lose weight, because the body is unable to metabolize them properly. things like celery, spinach, and such.

this thing is handy for figuring out how much you can eat in a day and still lose weight:
    http://www.matvareguiden.no/sider/bmr.asp
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just changing diet is a huge step and can net awesome results.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I cut out almost all sugars, especially soft drinks and cut out Fast food accept for fish and chips on a friday night (it's a family tradition in the UK for us :P) cut out all midweek drinking and only have a couple glasses of wine on the friday now. I've only gone from zero exercise to 3 x 30 min walking three times a week and I've gone from 250lbs to 175 in 4 months. Now I'm working on getting fitter so I can jog a marathon by july this year.

Best thing you can do is just cut out fast food and bad sugars (HFCS mainly) check what you're buying at the supermarket to make sure it doesn't contain HFCS's and it's one way street to losing allot of weight.

Just as an example, I had tried 10 - 15 diets and all manner of massive exercise plans before hand but if you don't cut out the right stuff (even so called low fat food is still massively high in HFCS) then you will find it next to impossible to lose weight.

Just imo, and every one is different.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    I might release an life plan book called "Eat Less, Exercise More".
    Essentially you eat less and exercise more.

seriously all in moderation and your fine.

for refrence Im 95kg 6"5.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, it is that simple...but for a lot of folks, it's learning how to do that- breaking habits that you have had for years, or maybe your entire life. This is a positive thread, let's not be condescending
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Frump wrote: »
    Is there anything you guys are unwilling to give up for your diet?

for the most part i dont think ill give up really anything that ive had.. but just making HUGE adjustments on how much or how often id have it.

beer for example. instead of having 2 beers with a lunch (usually thursdays for me).. ill have 1. fast food.. as little as often but instead of my usual amounts ill only eat maybe half of what i normally would. coffee.. ill try to do that maybe only once or twice a week instead of every day.

little things like that sort of to "ween" off of the crap foods, and i think itll be ok
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    yeah, it is that simple...but for a lot of folks, it's learning how to do that- breaking habits that you have had for years, or maybe your entire life. This is a positive thread, let's not be condescending

O I didnt mean it like that, it was more a jab at life plans and fast dieting books that prey on the vunerable and gulible.

Youve got to commit your entire life to change or it anit gona happen. Running alone at night for me is just such a nice get away that I dont view it really as exercise more meditation. Or a super long walk, living in Cornwall does have a fairly good advantage in that department.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the biggest thing for me, is just portion size. and learning to eat until i'm satisfied, not untill i'm full/stuffed.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Man I got a lot of respect for anyone in the US trying to lose weight.

I'm really 'suffering' with the food over here right now.

Before I left London, I was on a pretty tight 1000-calorie per day diet, losing weight, felt great. Since I got here, I think I've probably cooked about twice, and the food is so much better (read: fattier, greasier and tastier) than I'm used to, so I've just totally caved and been eating everything in sight.

Must.....RESIST......
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually eat terribly here at uni, not bad food all the ime but completely inconsistantly. Some times I have gone almost a whole day without a proper meal then others I buy and eat crap- but never fast food I draw the line there.
    Other days I will have 7-9 portions of fruit/veg a day, mainly because I geniunely like them, I prefer fruit over sweet snacks.
    I guess Im lucky really as my weight doesnt fluctuate and I dont find it hard to say no to things.
    The best thing I have found is just making bean and lentil stew, and then boil rice with it every day, which lasts about 4 days and is dead cheap, plus others soups and things.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ive tried dieting a few times. Ive realized for me, there are a few things that i find help. For starters, if you just drink a crap ton of water, you`ll find yourself eating WAY less. Since I am just getting back into it all, all ive done so far is drink water, not pop or juice or anything. Ill have the V8 fusion juice here and there, but just a small glass of it, to get the taste, since water gets boring. Also, for me personally, calorie counting just doesnt work. To me, it feels more like a job, and im not looking for a second job. I just want to fix my life style and eat less. So, to start this time, ive tried to eat smaller portions, and, i dont let myself go back for seconds! thats a huuuuge thing.

I lost 4 pounds this week with those simple changes to my daily routine. well, that and not eating before bed. But ya, I only did 10 minutes on a rowing machine this week. Im working my way back into the rowing. I wanna get up to 30 minutes 5 times a week. then the pounds will fall right off.

If I do feel like fast food, I go to subway and get a footlong turkey breast sub. 12 grams of fat, you get your protein and its sooo good. Waaaay less calories than mcdicks or something.

oh, 1 more little tip... when you are eating... SLOW DOWN. I use to shovel my food in my mouth, barely breathing. take your time, your body will digest the food better.

Anyone got any updates on their progress yet?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hum, walked 8 miles today. felt good.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    you're all fatties
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    eat fat - be fat

be fat - experience fat

Feels_Good_Man_Dog.jpg

Get on the Gerson and loose 40 pounds in a month just from your diet.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    actually worry more about calories than fat, your body doesn't just take fat and put it somewhere else on your body, it makes fat. that why even this diet can work.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

i have lost a lot of weight recently, mostly because i hired a nutritionist. if your tracking food, eat equal amounts of protein, fat, and carbs, in every meal, your body needs that stuff don't deprive yourself of anything. it will make your body better at burning fat and creating muscle. eat every 2 to 3 hours and don't eat before bed or before exercising. what happens to your metabolism when you eat only one meal a day is that it shuts down after eating, we have all had the "food coma". by eating small amounts all day your body is constantly processing food and you train your body to expect to have food every few hours so when you goto sleep your body is used to burning calories all day and keeps doing it while your sleeping, its a cool trick you can play on your body.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    I've done a couple of diets, mostly to get ripped (which I fail at because of 50% body hair, damn heritage).

There are a couple of things I've noticed people tend to do more than often, and I thought of sharing a couple of tips along the way that might, in some way, let you think in another way.

1. First off, a diet is only a short term focused project. If you want to stay "lean" you should work out a plan on how to stay on a good weight rather than trying to loose.

2. Before you even start counting carbs, ask yourself a couple of times, why do I even want to loose weight? Why do I keep gaining weight?

3. Understand that there is no ultimate diet, it only goes down to a negative calorie intake. Macro nutritions are good, but keeping track of the amount of food and a healthy repetition of weekly exercise is enough for anyone who isn't aiming for beach-form or the stage :P.

4. " I know when I'm full, but I can keep eating because its tasty."

Don't focus on your hunger! Well, at least not during a diet. It takes mental practise to overcome "but im still hungry" when you know you've been stretching your stomache for a very very long time :P.

5. Remember to eat stuff you like, if you know its full of saturated fats, try avoiding them. But if you are going to diet, don't force yourself eat food you don't like because "veggies is good for you". It's better that you eat something you like, a lot less, rather than eating a lot of what you like less.

Only if I could write as much crap as this when its game art related :P
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Your body eats muscle before it eats fat.

This part is backwards I think - the body burns protein (not from muscle) > carbs (glycogen as it's main form) > fat > muscle.

http://bodyshapingtips.com/burn_fat/does_the_body_burn_fat_or_muscle_first/

It should be noted that there is dissension and confusion from the above stated on the web. Check into your body being in "starvation mode" - which it shouldn't be if you're trying to be healthy. Muscle deterioration is dangerous and should be the last resort of your body to get it's required nutrients/usually associated with starvation and not getting enough of the other energy/nutrient sources.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    gotta support these guys and the wealth of free information they've put out. this podcast here being the fundamental :

http://www.adonisindex.com/how-many-calories-do-you-need-to-lose-weight/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Switched my diet roughly 10 days ago:

-no alcohol
    -no red meat
    -no dairy
    -more protein
    -more fibre
    -more vitamins

minus 8 pounds so far.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i lost 3lbs.
    not bad for just changing my eating habits. i think i should start actually excercising to go with it lol.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I wouldn't say I'm a big guy but I definitely wasn't healthy for a long time. I started working out again and getting more active and I feel like I can breathe so much better already.

Almost any major food chain has their food fact sheet available online. If you wanna shit yourself, look up Outback steak houses food facts.

Know what you're eating before you eat it.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I have still been drinking - but I've been working out hard since my last post. I'm down 3-4 lbs. I've been on a pretty high protein diet, snacking on protein shakes / protein bars. I'm a vegetarian at the moment, so that is making this interesting. I've been eating TONS of vegetables and salads.. I have't really been hungry at all.

Anyhow, keep it up!
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    -33lbs in 6 months without training whatsoever. 22lbs to go. I eat Paleo and feels awesome.

Taking training back soon (Crossfit) will hopefully speed up the process a bit.

I still drink a LOT over the weekends, and by a lot I mean lots or rum (seriously me polish blood is annoying as it's taking forever to get drunk even on this way of eating), but instead of mixing it with high sugary drinks (orange juice is high sugar) I mix it with club soda / sparkling water. I eat whatever I want over the weekend too (but try to be careful still) so it's taking longer than cutting alcohol altogether and be religious about eating right even on the weekends, but whatever, I am not in a hurry.

Basically if it's brown / yellow, I don't eat it. I avoid processed food, which means I avoid sugar like plague. I eat healthy fats, lean proteins and lots of green vegetables List

It's not for everyone as it might seems bland, but as a good cook I can get away with it pretty easily. No control on caloric intake nor quantity too, that's a big plus. Works for me at least.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im down 3 lbs from last week. :D
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    what if i already dont have a belly? can i still play??
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    as long you`re bringing constructive posts, go for it ;)

lose some weight, or give others tips on how you`ve stayed the way you are. do it up!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'm starting to get a beer belly and man boobs, was always fairly scrawny until I hit 26, need to start running. Still, the London underground makes me sweat.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd contribute. I don't mean to promote but P90x! P90x! P90x! I can not tell you how much I have changed within the past 7 weeks of doing it (with the nutrition plan and half hour of treadmill on top of p90x workout). Obviously it's not for everyone, for it's a hour to an hour and a half of dedication a day (crunch wouldn't help the motivating factor, long work hours, kids, independent projects, womanez, we're busy people) but 28lbs ( 258 down to 230) and gaining muscle/tone has boosted my self esteem. I still have a month and a week to go and plan to keep doing it until I can't wipe my own ass of old age. Will post photos after my 90 days via blog/here.

Keep going everyone! (checkout the movie Heavyweights if you have time, a good laugh)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, I was just going to chime in about P90X, Nemlet.
    Yeah, its a pretty great program. It can be pretty challenging both physically and time wise but its worth it. I've got about a week and a 1/2 left. I started at 205-206 and I should hopefully get down to 185 by the time I am done (crosses fingers).
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Down 4 lbs since last week, starting doing some more weights too. So thats a total of 24.5lbs in 5 1/2 weeks, Yay :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, ive heard good things of p90x. Personally, thats too much time for me.

The thing about all those workout programs, and all those workout devices you see on tv.... they ALL work. every single one of them.... IF you actually use/do them. Most people that buy the crap on tv though, they get it for a quick fix, and generally stop using them after the first week.

get off your ass and do something, and you`ll lose weight. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack wrote: »
    what if i already dont have a belly? can i still play??
    On HardOCP they do one every year: Loose weight, or tone up. I know some guys who have been thin all their life but have the body tone of a prepubescent girl.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Avoiding the junk food at the office kitchen instead of chowin on candy like it's Halloween immediately cut off 5 pounds, considering my food at home and lunches I bring into work aren't huge portions and healthy servings of meat, veggies and carbs, my diet is easy to maintain. Also amping up the weights at the gym and distance when jogging outside in my workout regime has shaved off another 10.. I'm at 6'2", 195 pounds and fitting into my high school cargo pants with minimal muffin topping! Wouldn't mind getting a bit more cut, a few sets of push ups and the ab roller before bed are helping too.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I'm fat too. 5'11" 205 lbs. And I have chicken legs. Let's do this.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Did P90X myself over a year ago and had some success with that. Just did Warpspeed Fat Loss (though I wasn't sticking to the nutrition as stricly as it dictactes) and had some more success. I'm going back on it on Monday. I preferred it as it was a mix of heavy lifts, circuit training and high intensity interval cardio, which was a good mix and the workouts are typically 45-60 minutes. It doesn't have yoga like in P90X though.

For cardio work I typically use an exercise bike I plonk infront of the TV, which is a good distraction. I used to actually play video games a few years ago when on the bike, but that was doing steady pace cycling. Not so easy when doing intervals. It was very good though as sometimes you go "Oh I'll just do this next bit" or "I can't stop until I get to the next save point" so you are still exercising whilst playing.

For people in the UK I recommend http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/registerprompt.php for keeping track of your food intake. Free and very useful.

I'm 5'8" and have gone from 217 to 170 in the past year and a half or so and I find it very difficult to lose weight. My advice is make adjustments in your lifestyle that are sensible and that you can maintain. I've had more success eating sensibly and working out 5-6 times a week than eating a lot less than I should and working out 9-10 times a week (also felt crappy the whole month I did that, and was also the same weight/measurements aftewards). Which is probably just as well as I couldn't maintain that routine anyway.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    Might as well try to join, I'd like to see myself at 10-15kg less as well, been gaining a lot after banning myself from most exercises by ruining one of my feet.

I can finally use my crosstrainer again so I'll start doing at least 30 min a day. I like to play or watch movies while doing that too. Good distraction and music really is the key factor to lasting through cardio sessions...
    I get better results "forcing" myself to only do 30 mins or so and sometimes do much more only because i feel like it rather than to always expect myself to aim much higher, because otherwise I often end up skipping the whole thing alltogether because I'm afraid I won't make it and I don't want to see myself fail to meet my goal.
    I used to actually play video games a few years ago when on the bike, but that was doing steady pace cycling. Not so easy when doing intervals. It was very good though as sometimes you go "Oh I'll just do this next bit" or "I can't stop until I get to the next save point" so you are still exercising whilst playing.
    Indeed. Pick the right games and you'll magically see yourself lasting an hour or two, either because you don't want to quit playing or because the cursed savepoint just won't show up. Calm games like JRPGS/SRPGS work great for this since they still let you focus on exercise. Having to "earn" your playtime can work miracles.

Always remember you can't eat what you don't have, getting junk out of the house and not taking along the money to casually buy things you'll end up regretting can help... But don't deprive yourself of too much either or it might backfire ^^;
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Yea we got a gym here on campus. Ive been hitting on my lunch hour for almost a year now. Before that i was running tri's and doing work outs that revolved around hard cardio. At this point im just trying to add some mass and keep it. Im 6'2" 180lbs. if i could hit 195 - 200 id be happy =)

So ill go opposite direction and meet u guys there!

ps. I did the p90x once, its fantastic! really fun work out. Even grabed there rev abs set and did it. Worth atleast trying =)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Week 3....

270.2 > 266.9

down a total of 8.1 lbs so far.

2.95%

I rowed twice this week. Gonna row again tomorrow, to make it 3. then hopefully do it 4 times next week. :)

Also, i Strongly suggest everyone join dailyburn.com like lowodor mentioned. it has a great free tracking system you can use for your workouts, weight loss, food. its awsome
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Thought I'd chime in since people started talking about the P90x and some said that's too much for them. Might want to look into the Power90 then. It's more or less the starting point to the P90X. Think of the P90X as the sequel to the Power90, with more explosions and such.

http://www.extremebodyworkout.com/blog/2008/07/07/power-90-vs-power-90x-p90x-whats-the-difference/
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aim for afterburn interval training, meaning high intensity in a short time (max 40 mins) mix weights with high intensity aerobic moves. Get rid of donuts, sodas, burgers...etc etc...

Because if you do this your body keeps burning calories 48 hours after you finished training, treadmill and running wont trigger this, only really intense training will.

I also went through p90x and liked it a lot, now mixing p90x plus series and rock climbing. So far I had awesome results. But the key is to be very disciplined with yourself and set yourself long term goals.

Also something ultra important is sleep. Nowadays I sleep at 11-12pm maaaax, that if not going party...haha.

and if you train dont only rely on the balance, it might seem you havent lost a lot of weight some times, but that is because you gained muscle as well, so I will shoot more for the mirror, that doesnt lie.

and forget supplements... I took them long time...not a waste of money completely, but seriously smart eating is enough not to mention all supplements are chemical. Real food is thousand times better.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Think I lost weight lol. Need to get a better weight scale and preferably a digital one though on the plus side feel better :) Pretty much been trying to eat 300 cal over the course of the day so usually grab breakfast then something at 10 and so on.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Think I lost weight lol. Need to get a better weight scale and preferably a digital one though on the plus side feel better :) Pretty much been trying to eat 300 cal over the course of the day so usually grab breakfast then something at 10 and so on.

I'm assuming 300cal per meal, cuz then you'd just be completely starving yourself.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I'm assuming 300cal per meal, cuz then you'd just be completely starving yourself.

haha yeah.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Joining in on this. Has anyone tried out green smoothies? I just started drinking them, I need a quick solution to breakfast, I'm never hungry in the mornings and I always want to rush out the door.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    organized chaos: Try yogurt and granola... It's super quick to make and eat. I've been loving that the past 6 months, and you've got all kinds of delicious/healthy options to spice it up (strawberries, bananas, nuts, etc)

if you're having trouble getting into a good exercise routine, the thing that really helped me crush that hurdle was sports. Soccer, climbing, biking, dodgeball, whatever. Having other people do it with me helped a lot, and it felt a lot less like a chore and more like a game, something I looked forward to, so I didn't have to kick myself repeatedly every time I was supposed to do it. Games that get you in shape ftw.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    seems like a few people are getting some decent results from P90X. I may actually try it now.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i first did p90x i definitely noticed a difference within 1 week. unfortunately it took up too much time so i eventually just only did half of the workouts. still worked for me.. but after about 3 weeks i stopped it