Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me with a portfolio review?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Hey all,

www.cggart.com

I'm going to try and complete some smaller projects to get the amount of completed work up on my portfolio.

Right now, I am considering doing fantasy themed hand-painted props (treasure chests, skulls, dungeons), some cool (but basic) hard surface props, a building, or an epic (but concise) arctic fantasy environment.

The overall package to promote me as a capable well rounded artist.

My perceived strengths are:

- 3D Modeling: baking high/low poly 3D assets
- Textures / Shaders
- Level Lighting / Design

- Strong knowledge of normal map / shader based game development

- Works well in teams with an ability to: concept / paint over, design UIs, rig & animate, design / create tools & documentation

My actual body of work needs to reflect those points made in my resume, or some of those resume points need to be culled or revised.

I am wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on how to best tailor a new project.

I'm would love to work on epic environments for nex gen games.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    So is generally discussion officially where people pimp portfolios now?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Crap, clicked on the wrong forum, sorry I'll try to get a mod to move it...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that hits most of the major things you need, except for maybe organic plants of some kind. It would be good if the hard surface props where completed not just high poly with a glossy gray material like a lot of people like to do...

If its all going into UDK or some other engine, even better.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    There's a lot of WIP on your portfolio.
    The first one looks good because it's all complete.
    But for the others, try to finish them and improve your texture skills to make the objects more attractive. The first project is good because you can sense a mood behind that. Some works looks too clean and washout, adding tiny details of dirt will give it realism and interest.