Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Form and Space (Non game art)

Hey so I thought I would show some work from a class I have at school. It is called form and space. Form and Space is basically just a 3d composition and building class. We have worked in Bristol Board, Foam Board, Cardboard, and 1/2 inch pine molding.

Here is my midterm. Got a B. It is a radial composition. Started with a 6" x 6" cube.

cardboard.jpg

Here is my final that I just finished 2 days ago. Got an A-. Another radial composition. Made out of pine molding and wood glue.

formandspacefinal.jpg

Let me know what you think. I'm taking the next level of the class this summer so I will probably be adding to this.

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Don't get me wrong. They look awesome, I just never understood the use of these things or how they'd go around grading them.
    So more a question than an actual critique, what are the use of these and what do you learn from them? Apart from that they look awesome? :p
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it is more straight forward than it sounds. Basically there are different catagories that get averages together.

How well does it represent your organizing principle (linear, radial etc.)

Quality of craftsmanship (do the intersections line up? is there glue everywhere?)

Visual Resolution (Does it look like everything goes together?) If I only had one curved piece it would have looked out of place.

Also, I don't know what this is called... but if you have a part of the project that is a line going through the entire thing... but you were gluing pieces together instead of having it be one long piece... that is bad.

And overall inventiveness. Did you go above and beyond what was taught. Like those curve pieces I made up... they didn't teach me how to do that.

Those aren't all categories but just things that are taken into account when grading. I hope this helps. :)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Ah ok, thanks for the explanation :D
    I never had to make these at school, they do seem fun to make though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, you're so good at jenga.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah they totally look like Jenga pieces
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I like the cardboard ones more than the woods ones, pretty cool stuff all together.