Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted house WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Noia polycounter lvl 13
housewip.jpg

I created a house model to work on hand-painted textures with, and possibly made it too complex for its purpose, and now I feel a little lost on its design.
Should I try a simpler, more cartoony model? Textures are still WIP or have a placeholder, but any thoughts on them are appreciated too. :)

housewipselfcrit.jpg
housewip_brick.jpghousewip_roof.jpghousewip_wood.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think it looks pretty good so far.

Few things I would suggest would be...

1) I would not ditch the iron rails on the peaks but make them look similar, the peek on the left has that wooden extrusion while the one in the middle has nothing.

2) Assuming your blah is pointing at the well then yea, put some detail into the siding. Your roof and wood textures have a cool style but the siding is just flat.

3) The model reminds of Fable, so I would look at that for some inspiration on how they put detail into the buildings.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Its coming along man! I can't wait to see it in the UDK or even Marmoset if you plan on doing so.

I think everything fits, as far as the metal extrusion to on the side:

World-of-Warcraft-Wrath-of-the-Lich-King_ss12.jpg

Sorry its 2 a.m here so sorry if the image I gave wasn't the best. I can't give much more crit now but I am going to bed, so shoot me a pm if you want, because i'll be up and about the next few days... but i'll be watching!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    painted edges (bricks, roof tiles) are too thin and it causes two problems:

- textures look really flat.
    - when scaled, they start look all jaggy and pixelated.

also, you might want to get rid of pure black color in your textures. its unnatural, and shouldn't be used on hand-painted stuff.