Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Firearm - P90

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ackehallgren polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone!
I'm making a P90 for a gameproject in school, and while I've heard it can be quite devastating posting a gun or firearm and then asking for crits, I'm taking my chances!

The model will be used in a First Person Shooter and I'm basing details and modelling on that fact. Critiques and opinions are very welcomed, however in the end I need to do it fairly quickly and focus on why I'm doing it!

Here goes! Let the rain of critique fall!

Replies

• p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be used in high poly or low? i'm thinking high here with your excessive edges on the stock

still needs a lot of work obviously
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There really isn't anything to critique here yet, all you've done is quickly trace out the shape of a model in the side view from a box. Is this a blockout? Start of low? Start of high?

Really I dont get why people feel the need to try and model everything from a box, when a good portion of a model like this has perfectly round cylindrical edges.
  • ackehallgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to get a good shape going I guess. I thought it would be better to have the process laid out here.

I realize that there is still a lot to be done.

I'm just used to building from boxes and then working my way to a round shape
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I would avoid that honestly, I mean the cylinder primitive exists for a reason! I see a lot of people doing messy models because they feel the need to model everything from a box, I really dont get it.

Whenever I start modeling a part of an asset, or even just a small element(like the "grip" areas here) I always think what is the best way to model *this specific part*, sometimes its from a box, sometimes a cylinder, sometimes a cylinder I cut into just a few faces to get the nice accurate curve etc. And then attach various bits together as needed.

When modeling round bits, it just makes so much more sense to start from something round, its easier, its saves time, and its more accurate.
  • Zealotlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like EQ said, at this point there isn't much to critique. I don't know what they're teaching you at your school but hopefully they're having you start with a high poly mesh and having you bake it into a low poly. They didn't do that when I went to school and I didn't do it for a very long time. It definitely cost me lol.

If that is just going to be a straight low-poly then you're definitely going to want to optimize your geometry, specifically behind the trigger. Take a look at my portfolio, I have a P90 in there with a wireframe you can look at. It might not be the best pro example, but I'm sure you can learn something from it. Look at other P90 3D models too, there's tons of em even here on polycount.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would refrain from paying a lot of attention to other peoples models, as you'll copy their mistakes as well. Instead, you should find as much photo reference as humanly possible, and study all of the shapes from various angles. With common weapons like these, it is really easy to do.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ackehallgren,

Here is the archive of reference pictures I used when creating the subD model of the p90. There are a few extraneous folders in the archive for you because the p90 I modeled was heavily modified. There may be some pictures that help you, hope this helps.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25806698/P90refarchive.rar
  • ackehallgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have gotten a bit farther.
    Yes, I will make a highpoly, but I'm making the lowpoly first. I've looked a lot at reference, and thank you for the pictures Perfectblue!
    I hope there is more to look at this time around.
    Thank you very much for all the comments!