Home General Discussion

The Door - Scripting Challenge

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
We recently started a scripting gameplay challenge over at mapcore. The challenge is centered around creating an interesting puzzle to get through a door. As designers we encounter this type of puzzle all of the time in our own games, how can we expand on this simple idea and create something truly unique and awesome.

Original thread: http://forums.mapcore.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16155

Below is a screenshot of the prefab created for Source Sdk, there is another one for the most recent version of UDK and there is an OBJ file for those of you who like other editors.

file.php?id=1196&sid=db275ebb9285ca3adb5f799fed66e1f9&mode=view

Here is my original test created from the source sdk prefab.

file.php?id=1197&sid=db275ebb9285ca3adb5f799fed66e1f9&mode=view

Here is a video of me playing through my test..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwMgOyz3iI[/ame]

Now, our rules:
Using the included prefab in the engine of your choice, script a puzzle to creatively open the door! It doesn't matter whether you're entering, exiting, or just moving from one room to another - just get to the other side.

As this is a scripting challenge, you are encouraged to use dev textures and only what art assets are absolutely necessary to communicate key ideas.

The challenge will begin Friday, April 29th, and end Sunday, May 22nd at 11:59PM US CENTRAL time (GMT -6)

As always, the submission thread will be opened in the final week of the challenge. Post the following items with your submission:
  • A zip file including your map file
  • The original level source (and any other relevant files) for inquiring minds to examine your scripting
  • 2 screenshots of your scene (ATTACHED! This will help us archive our entries for posterity :) )
  • A video showing the puzzle's intended solution

You will have roughly one week to review all entries and vote at the challenge's conclusion. A single vote will be held for the overall winner. Voters will be allowed to vote for their top 3 entries, and the level that receives the most votes will be declared our winner.

You may:
  • Use the Source Engine (using the included .vmf file) OR
  • Use the April 2011 UDK (using the included .udk file) OR
  • Use another engine of your choosing (using the included .obj file as reference - please scale to approximately match the Source/UDK relative player scale)
  • Modify the provided template geometry, scripting, lighting, etc. as needed to create your puzzle.
You MAY NOT:
  • Move the door.
As with the previous challenge, there will be no prize other than the pride of knowing people thought you were awesome. Woo.

THE TEMPLATE
---> Download <---

Hope to see you on there! I'm very excited to see what people come up with!

ALSO please post on mapcore as your submissions will not count if you post here.
Original thread: http://forums.mapcore.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16155

- Jason

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That was a neat little puzzle.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome! I like this.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    vivi, that's hilarious. I love it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! People should post about cool little challenges like this from other boards more often IMO (early on in the deadline too :P)

Great video, I enjoyed it, it felt like a scripted sequence you would actually go through in Half life :P Was the audio in game, or done in video post? good luck in the comp!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dude, nice! very creative.

however, in games these days I feel like that puzzle would be seen as 'too advanced', and either scaled down, or hand-held the entire way with what to do displayed on the screen, haha.

Either way, I enjoyed it.
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    vivi, that's hilarious. I love it.

HA! Thanks bro.
    Andreas wrote: »
    Awesome! People should post about cool little challenges like this from other boards more often IMO (early on in the deadline too :P)

Great video, I enjoyed it, it felt like a scripted sequence you would actually go through in Half life :P Was the audio in game, or done in video post? good luck in the comp!

I totally agree! Also the audio was all done in-game, I also had custom vo recorded for the female lines. This scene took me 1 day to make over a span of about 5-6 hrs. (That also includes testing)
    bounchfx wrote: »
    dude, nice! very creative.

however, in games these days I feel like that puzzle would be seen as 'too advanced', and either scaled down, or hand-held the entire way with what to do displayed on the screen, haha.

Either way, I enjoyed it.

I actually had this tested by a few people before I finalized it, all test subjects were able to complete the actual puzzle and understood what they did. So this puzzle was definitely refreshing to make. Also, that's the best part of this competition. Everyone gets to be as creative as they want and I've already seen some pretty cool stuff.

Everyone needs to join this :P

- Jason
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah for sure! But don't count source out! It's still got some kick in it ^^
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This challenge is still going!

If you would like me to test your map and give you feedback please let me know! I'm available everyday!

- Jason