Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Various weapons for Fallout: New Vegas

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Millenia polycount sponsor
Workin' on a new texture for the police revolver atm. Reuvmapped it and baked some quick normals.

policepistol.jpg

Original one for reference:

830px-PolicePistol.png

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Great gun! Your pistol screenshot is going straight to my awesome reference art folder!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude, here's the finished version:

41602-1-1304280709.jpg

I've retextured more than half of the guns in the game, if anybody plays F:NV they can be found here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38285
  • p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Fook? Does it have a release date yet?
  • Sync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just downloaded your mod, it looks great.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man. Is your texture higher res than the original?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, it's remapped though (since mine has baked normals and the default doesn't)

Available here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41721
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I like your gun metal texture, especially on the revolver. Looks convincing and nice stuff :)
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Millenia, Your gun textures are always awesome.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comparison between a default mesh with its included normals and the same model with remapped + my normals (difference isn't QUITE as extreme ingame, but the default one is still horrible with graininess and weird-ass gradients all over the place)

asdoa.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    your last gun look amazing :) but i think the texturing is still wip right ?
    you gun is all have one color . make some screws look lighter and add more color to this
    :) good luck cant wait to see this in game
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah i remember i turned off new vegas after about half an hour because i was so severely shocked at how bad the first weapon you got looked in first person. Not played it since...

Your makeovers however look awesome dude, very nice. Send em to Beth, show em how it's done ;)
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw your mod on here the day I got NV, downloaded it before I even installed the game cause boy did I hate the screenshots, Congrats mate!

Also, completely off topic, but Tda, what made you stop modding TESIV? I haven't seen any work or head a peep from you in years...
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    your last gun look amazing :) but i think the texturing is still wip right ?
    you gun is all have one color . make some screws look lighter and add more color to this
    :) good luck cant wait to see this in game

Yeah still a bit wip
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned OK ingame I guess..
    Always a bit of a challenge 1) working with this engine (gloss is only a value, no coloured spec, most of the time the only light source is the sun, reflection maps ignore normal maps *really bugs me off*)

and 2) making stuff look like it fits in the world without being ridiculously rusty..

pclolb.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Looks dope as hell considering how difficult that engine is to work with. Awesome stuff dude :)
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    I seriously can't fathom why 'professional' game artists churn out such garbage gun assets for a big game like Fallout: NV. These are looking great.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, these look great. I really do question the art team over there at times, some of the weapon art was just awful. I know its a big game and all, but come on, some things don't even make sense.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Yup, these look great. I really do question the art team over there at times, some of the weapon art was just awful. I know its a big game and all, but come on, some things don't even make sense.

Yeah I mean if some simple things were done right it wouldn't've been even massively more effort..

With the original source models, baking some normals like I did here wouldn't take too much time - hell, it doesn't even take me too much time to bake some edge smoothing + add the fine details with nDo even though I work with broken triangulated models..

On top of that their speculars are really weak, so everything tends to look really flat.

The time + tri/tex budgets could've been pushed way more aggressively to produce better results in same time.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I bought this on steam but have yet to actually play it, I'm definitely installing your packs before doing so! Great work! :) And its actually benificial to others, which is a great idea.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    I bought this on steam but have yet to actually play it, I'm definitely installing your packs before doing so! Great work! :) And its actually benificial to others, which is a great idea.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43135

I heavily suggest this if your PC can handle it, because most of the environment textures are really low-res as well.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    great work, you should post up some more before and after in game shots too, i'd love to see the difference between the old and new ones
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    It blows me away the level of quality that Obsidian went with for their models and textures. Oh well, if the game makes money, do eeeeet.

Your stuff looks much improved. So are you taking their low poly triangulated model and rebuilding a high off that?

This is one of the few cases when the sandpaper monster is a good thing as it fits well with the universe.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    cool weapons!! most def going to download this.

anyways, unless everyone knows the situation the artist were put in who created the weapons, I wouldn't jump so quick to call them shit. The art could have been outsourced... having experience with outsourced art, it can be a pain to try and "fix" errors and still keep up with deadlines.

Even if it was done in house, there are so many variables to think of that could sacrifice the quality of the art that's beyond the artists control. A good artist needs good management and leadership to give them the time and opportunity to create good art.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    besides reskins of weapons are you making any new weapons for the game?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    It blows me away the level of quality that Obsidian went with for their models and textures. Oh well, if the game makes money, do eeeeet.

Your stuff looks much improved. So are you taking their low poly triangulated model and rebuilding a high off that?

This is one of the few cases when the sandpaper monster is a good thing as it fits well with the universe.

Yeah, I'm just detriangulating the models in the game and tweaking with them until I have something that smooths nicely. Most of the details I add with nDo, the bake is entirely for edge smoothing. (saves time)
    n88tr wrote: »
    besides reskins of weapons are you making any new weapons for the game?

I've done several for a mod pack, but I hate working with GECK so I just focus on art and let other people do the other stuff for me :P

http://newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/431125-1308599147.jpg

for instance
    mr_ace wrote: »
    great work, you should post up some more before and after in game shots too, i'd love to see the difference between the old and new ones

I should when I get the chance.
    oobersli wrote: »
    cool weapons!! most def going to download this.

anyways, unless everyone knows the situation the artist were put in who created the weapons, I wouldn't jump so quick to call them shit. The art could have been outsourced... having experience with outsourced art, it can be a pain to try and "fix" errors and still keep up with deadlines.

Even if it was done in house, there are so many variables to think of that could sacrifice the quality of the art that's beyond the artists control. A good artist needs good management and leadership to give them the time and opportunity to create good art.

I heard they were done in-house, mostly by one artist.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome looking models, Fallout seems to get alot of love considering how limited it seems to be for artists.
    Kitteh wrote: »
    I seriously can't fathom why 'professional' game artists churn out such garbage gun assets for a big game like Fallout: NV. These are looking great.
    because they are working to a schedule. its easy to make a fantastic model when you don't have a deadline looming.
    budget.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    because they are working to a schedule. its easy to make a fantastic model when you don't have a deadline looming.

Well, I don't wanna think too highly of myself, but I think I could do a lot better in a short time (then again weapons are my main focus)

I could probably do 2 weapons from scratch in 3 days working full-time.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Millenia wrote: »
    Well, I don't wanna think too highly of myself, but I think I could do a lot better in a short time (then again weapons are my main focus)

:) perhaps you should head over there and sort em out then
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I certainly would with a gun portfolio like that. March on down and say "This is how your guns should have looked."
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Millenia wrote: »

And what if the producer came up to you and said you have a week to do 5 or more weapons? quality might suffer, which is a shitty downside.

Looking great though Millenia
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Those look really awesome, great job!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some people wanted more comparison shots, so here goes: Actual difference ingame is even bigger, since the default weapons have ridiculously high gloss values, low specular and the normal maps are mostly just a diffuse ran through the nvidia filter with no tweaks.

Also, 90% of their textures have diffuse lighting, so they might look passable in shots, but ingame.. yeah..

127pist.jpg
    policepistol.jpg
    rangerseq.jpg
    trail.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice!
    Still kind of curious as to why the originals suck so hard...
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    shrew81 - Most likely Obsidian was under some pretty hardcore time constraints as this was an offshoot of a game and not an original title.

Great stuff man, very nice to see the comparison shots.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Just strikes me as odd that these (especially the trail carbine with all its noise and the police pistol with the chunky/blurry edge scratches) Wouldn't have been given a second pass since they will be in the players face all the time.

Then again, I can see your point. *Shuts up* :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy work on that Sequoia, but why the dull wood handle?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy work on that Sequoia, but why the dull wood handle?

Dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time :poly142:

I'll probably rework it later (I also forgot to gold some parts)

Got a bit lazy with finishing this one as well.. Oh well, at least it's still an improvement.

varmintig.jpg
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these look amazing, i had to reinstall NV just to see how badly the engine handles normals and such. its amazing how bad they look sometimes.
    would you mind posting how you go about getting your new stuff into the game engine, i have wanted to mod oblivion and New Vegas but nifscope has defeated me multiple times.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Nicely done. A lot of the normal maps in NV look incorrect. But these weapons look pretty nice after your changes!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nightshade wrote: »
    these look amazing, i had to reinstall NV just to see how badly the engine handles normals and such. its amazing how bad they look sometimes.
    would you mind posting how you go about getting your new stuff into the game engine, i have wanted to mod oblivion and New Vegas but nifscope has defeated me multiple times.

Import a default model into your 3d app, position your custom model well over it, import your mesh's body parts into the default model's parts to get the transformations and such right (there might be a better way, but this is how I do it), export to .nif with a nif plugin, open up two instances of NifSkope, paste mesh data of your mesh over the default mesh, tweak shader information and texture paths.

Again, this might be better done just in your 3d app but I don't know how, so I do it this way.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    didnt knew that nv is modable - cool!!
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Good job. They all look sweet. I like the fact that your improved guns have proper beveled edges to capture some sweet specular highlights.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Shame the same can't be done with the hand models and pipboy, I mean I know that you can only do so much there because of the number of clothes options in the game, bu tthe basic male arms could be changed maybe? At least the Pipboy UI could be changed, that would look epic as a proper high poly/high res version.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ odium, there are body mods for oblivion, so there should be some for NV. in fallout 3 i used a mod for the pip boy so thats definitely doable

@Millenia thanks for the rundown, I'll have to try it. the game doesnt have enough long range guns.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Shame the same can't be done with the hand models and pipboy, I mean I know that you can only do so much there because of the number of clothes options in the game, bu tthe basic male arms could be changed maybe? At least the Pipboy UI could be changed, that would look epic as a proper high poly/high res version.

Pipboy is retexturable and replaceable, and the hands could also be easily redone. There are several replacements available even with new anims and such.

I'm considering the Pipboy but organic stuff is out of my league :poly142:

Nightshade: Feel free to add me on Skype/MSN/Steam if you need more advice

Steam: milleniafin
    MSN: hans_palm@hotmail.com
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PorkSteak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm that ruger is looking damn fine.