Home Technical Talk

Computer Spec Help ! (crashes randomly)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
Whats up polycount people !!!!!!!

I know very little when it comes to computer specs so bare with me, any feedback would be amazing please and thanks !

background info... got a virus on the computer - thing had pop ups and freezing troubles to the point that it wouldn’t even get past the windows xp loading screen with the blue bar, so I had the entire thing wiped clean and everything reinstalled from scratch, still had issues with it freezing at startup but everything else was back to normal, sent it back to the guy who built it, he said power supply was faulty, got it replaced and now instead of freezing at startup it waits and randomly freezes in the middle of whatever im doing, example this is my third time trying to post this (only having firefox open) but other days it will run with maya working for a few hours before cutting me off.

I was away at school while my computer was at home awaiting the new power supply, so now im done college and in need of this damn computer so I can get a job lol

before I send it back to the guy who built it (a friend of my dad, not some random) I was wondering if anyone here notices anything obviously wrong with it or had any ideas of what the hell is going on :P

(any other specs you need let me know)
System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.50 GHz
RAM: 3.25 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Power Supply: ATX-JV650W

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    When you say wiped clean, do you mean format?

If yes, the first thing I would have checked is the RAM, using the program:
    http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Second thing is to perform a System-Check on you Hard-Drives, right click on you HDD, properties, tools, error-checking and enable "Scan for Bad Sectors..." if you get an error telling you to dismount your HDD, just restart your PC and windows should do the checkup just fine.

Other then that, I have no idea what the issue could, did the freezing start RIGHT after the clean install or did it happen after something else?
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Never had that problem but I can safely say that the amount of wattage in your power supply is definitely plenty. Maybe that video card is getting a little old for some of the stuff you're trying to do?

Trying to think of what else it could be but it most likely isn't your power supply, especially if you're have different problems in different situations. Especially seeing as how it began with that annoying virus :(

Maybe someone else has had a similar problem?

If you ever notice anything different on your PC, I'd recommend using the system restore point feature...but obviously you couldn't even get to that once you got the virus so...
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel - its more or less as if the freezing never stopped, i think i only spent a few hours on it after the clean installing some programs and within a day or two it froze again... i plan on testing the RAM and HDD's tomorrow sometime as i have a different computer hooked up tonight

G3L - good to hear about the power supply, if it was the graphics card wouldn't that just cause the heavy programs to crash and not the entire computer? (ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work either btw, the mouse and keyboard become non responsive)

either way thanks guys for the feedback and especially so fast, if nothing comes up with the RAM or HDD's i'll probably go ahead and reinstall windows but this time wait before i rush into installing my programs
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can always try this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

It pretty much cleans out any viruses you have on your HDD, USB's, keys, etc...although that shouldn't be the case considering you formatted...

Did you insert an USB keys which MIGHT have been infected?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Just to be sure, have you installed updated drivers for everything since you reinstalled?

Also, if the graphics card was damaged or faulty, it could maybe cause behavior like that, but it being a little older wouldn't. An 8500 GT isn't old enough to have major problems anyway.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to say what the problem is, but this is what I do when I have comp problems (maybe it can help):

update all drivers

control panel - administrative tools - event viewer - system - see if they are any 'errors' and google what those mean, and how to fix

check ram (memtest) run over night

disk check

temp check
    (I used to get random bsod - not freezing - it came down to replacing the heat sink paste, not to mention home builds tend to be a shit storm of wires inside - bad for airflow)

If you have access to another computer put swap vid cards (etc), and see if the problem happens on the other one.

If all hardware comes up clean (unlikely, but perhaps possible) back up files, and clean wipe, reinstall windows.

Good Luck :)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im running the memtest now on the first stick or RAM and i just finished pass one with zero errors - i read its unlikly to get errors after the first pass but im going to play it safe and run it till its done at least 8 passes which i hear is a solid amount (i hope) then ill do it for the other stickor RAM... approx 20mins a pass X 8 passes a stick X 2 sticks of RAM = ill talk to you guys later :P

following it up by running System-Checks on all the Hard-Drives, and re checking to update my drivers

Neavah - what would i do for a disk check? and "put swap vid cards"? you mean just switch them out and see what happens?

thanks guys - very very helpful :D
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    approx 20mins a pass X 8 passes a stick X 2 sticks of RAM

each pass is going to get MUCH longer :P your in for a looong wait

by disk check I meant scan the hard drive for bad sectors etc. (CHKDSK)

If you have access to another comp/video card you can swap it out, update the new driver and see if the problems still occurs.
    you can do this with other untested components as well. (a bonus that your freezing happens so frequently, you can tell sooner)

Basically I would isolate/test every piece of hardware until you find the one causing the problem.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A graphics card will only cause a hard reset if your using a VGA heavy application, or it has a fan problem, such as being overlocked and/or stop spinning after a while, not a simple "I'm doing nothing, and it crashes" scenario.

Which reminds, is your graphics card fan spinning? There are some viruses which have been known to hook onto your Graphics Cards Control Panel and screw around with the settings.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    A graphics card will only cause a hard reset if your using a VGA heavy application, or it has a fan problem, such as being overlocked and/or stop spinning after a while, not a simple "I'm doing nothing, and it crashes" scenario.

Which reminds, is your graphics card fan spinning? There are some viruses which have been known to hook onto your Graphics Cards Control Panel and screw around with the settings.

OMG is this for real? Can't believe a virus would do that >_< Geez...
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loooooooong wait indeed, i set it up - went picked up some pizza for the family, watched some hockey, played some 360, watched a movie...yes im that productive :D (i turned down drinks tonight because im too broke to go out two nights in a row lol) but in the end i stopped it at pass 10 with zero errors and am now running the test on the second and final stick

not sure if i should be happy that i haven't found anything yet or worried that i still haven't found anything yet... but im pretty sure i will just ask the guy who originally built it to look over it again before i start swapping out parts
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeaaaaaa so i cant seem to find the problem, updated all the drivers, tested the RAM, did the system tests on the HDD's - nothing appears out of order (all my drivers were already up to date i forgot the guy did that for me when he replaced the power supply last time)

not much more i can do without ripping apart different components and just so i dont screw that up its time to give the guy who built it a call and hope for the best, only problem now is how long will this take :(

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP :D
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im back ! ahaha sorry people but i got a few more questions to ask...

1) i reinstalled windows and formatted everything etc and the freezing continues, but not as often... its frozen on me while installing maya and the adobe programs, but that was basically it for the past few days then today i decided to use ZBrush the only real program i got installed (i uninstalled the others due to it freezing mid way through) and it seems to crash after a few mins of fooling around with Z - there is that and when i change the material on the model it looks different (darker and sometimes way off) vs the preview of it, but that depends on the model like the default rhino model all the materials look next to black and the default dog they are all a lot darker but not as much so as the rhino :s

anywayyyyyyyyyys i was hoping this could help narrow down the problem to maybe graphics card? (and no i don't have a spare to swap out, so i wanna ask you guys before i go and buy one) also i took the case side off and it still crashes so its not air flow

2) anyone know how to delete old posts? i know you can edit them but i wanna full out delete them? ..thanks everyone
  • Ace-Angel
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this a few weeks ago, resulting in me buying a few more bits of hardware, but I still didn't narrow it down. I think it may have either been my CPU or PSU. Still using the same graphics card which is OK. I would try to boot up with one stick of ram, if it keeps freezing try with the other stick, try taking your graphics card out and use your motherboard video input. Other than that, you can't test much unless you have spare hardware on hand, or want to fork out money to buy replacements.

Oh and dont worry about deleting posts, gives us all something to read :)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimmypopali - good to know : ) but im pretty confident now that its my graphics card, but with the luck iv been having recently nothing will surprise me at this point

anybody have any suggestions for a good graphics card? i recently read that some of the higher end "gamer cards" are not necessarily the best cards to use with 3D software (which i had no clue) soooo considering i don't really play games on my pc other then Diablo II and eventually Diablo III <3 i much rather have a card that's not going to give me any troubles with my tools of the trade (Maya, Photoshop, UDK, ZBrush, etc) also my original power supply finally got replaced and shipped back to me - its 750W now and not the 650W i have in currently, so I'm going to switch those out once i pick up a new graphics card ;D

**side note: if my computer still keeps on freezing etc thus ruling out the graphics card as the issue, i will be returning the card to save my money for when i absolutely need to upgrade
    :P

updated specs:
    System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.50 GHz
    RAM: 3.25 GB
    Graphics Card: " ____________?"
    Power Supply: GX 750W
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High end cards aren't necessarily bad for 3D work, their just not a good deal. You'll see diminishing returns for you dollar after a mid range card, except when playing games. I'd look at a DX11 card with 1GB of vram. nVidia tends to be preferred over ATI, mainly because of better driver support with 3D apps (though take this with a grain of salt - many people are running ATI just fine, YMMV). I'd look at a GTX 460 if you can shell out the $120 or so for it. They tend to be the sweet spot of performance for the money right now. There's certainly no need to spend $300+ for the latest and greatest video card.

Also, you might look at dropping another $50-60 on 4GB of ram and upgrading to an x64 version of Windows if you haven't already. Win7 is proving quite stable, has better support for current hardware and has some nice features that make day to day tasks easier. That combined with 8GB of ram would be a nice performance increase for the investment.