Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some lo-poly cartoony props

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jbird polycounter lvl 7
Yo peeps, so I kinda moved on to this little piece right here, I have been wanting to do some lo-poly stuff with a cartoony look for a while. I got inspired by a piece that Snow here at polycount did a while back.

The scene has a total of 324 tris and the textures are done by hand from scratch with basic photoshop brushes.

Here's a little WIP. Cheers!

cartoony_lo_poly_props_wip1_by_jbird556-d3f08jr.jpg

Replies

• Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    So here's a progression shot, got the textures done, but I think I'm gonna add some alpha grass and maybe something more not sure but I'll post an update later. cheers!

cartoony_lo_poly_props_wip2_by_jbird556-d3f2oti.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    looks great but sacrifice some tris and get rid of some of the straight edges
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Wood texture is awesomely styled. I actually like the squareness of everything, kinda makes it looks like everything is made from folded card. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the scene, if you intend to make one that is.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Rick_D, thanks, I will prolly keep it this simple though, basically just want to practice my hand drawn technique for textures and play around. BTW thats one nice porfolio site you got there man :).

gileuscoe, thanks man, I'm not sure how far I will take this but I might add a few things but it won't be anything major.

Have a good one!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Here's another WIP, I'm pretty happy with the amount of props in there right now but still got some texture work left wooden sign and I got some stone in there that need some texturing too. gonna see how much more I will work on this today, probably not a lot, since its my B-day today, Yeah! :P. Anyhow have a good one people!

cartoony_lo_poly_props_wip2_by_jbird556-d3f5gwx.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, grass planes are working well with the scene, i cant help thinking the tree trunks could use a bit more contrast though
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    How did you managed the shading of the table plate? Does every face has it's own smoothing group (hard edges) or do all faces are using the same (normally gives dark areas/shading) - or did you delete the backface of the table?
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks RAD :D

Show us a wireframe :)
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like it .... its like a cartoon indiana jones...add a whip on the table! :p idk if thats its intent but yeah keep it up!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    hello guys,

gileruscoe, thanks, yeah they help a bit, couldn't get'em to cast shadows though, for some reason I can't get alphas to do that in marmoset. But guess it looks fine anyway..

SimonT, not really sure I'm getting what you mean, but the table has all hard edges and I did not delete the underside of it.

butt_sahib, thanks a lot man, wireframe coming right up!

aajohnny, glad you do, the props are heavily inspired from indiana jones, it was pretty much the initial idea but i did know how close to copy it and/or call it "indiana jones scene". Coz that usually means a shit load of comments like " his whip looks like that, his hat is more like this". But yeah, just for fun I added the whip :).

So I'm considering this one done now, it landed on a total of 1153 Tris, the grass ground is tileable, I tried to at least let 2 props share one 512 through out the whole scene so the map and the hat share a 512 and so does the lantern and the gun etc etc.... but I think I will display more of that on my portfolio site. Cheers guys and thanks for your crits and comments! :)

cartoony_lo_poly_props_1_by_jbird556-d3fepfy.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_props_2_wires_by_jbird556-d3fepjl.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for adding the whip! ha looks great
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Very fun style. my only gripe is the tree trunks. I wish they has as much depth to their diffuse as say the table. And maybe that rock statue thing as well :) Cool stuff though! A full environment in this style would be awesome!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    aajohnny, thanks.

SouthpawSid, thanks man, yeah It would be kinda cool to try put something together in UDK, I'm gonna look into what I will/should do next... anyhow cheers guys and thx for your comments.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Since I thought the Idea of taken this scene further sounded quite good I went ahead and did just that. I thought It would be fun to play around with UDK (It's been a while, a year actually). The plan is to keep it relatively small, add some props and try to achieve a nice feel.

This is a WIP, there's still a lot to be done. cheers!

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip1_by_jbird556-d3fxrsg.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so pleased you decided to make an entire scene, this style rocks.
    Things i would love to see:
    Old style tent (cream cloth, ropes, wooden pegs, you get the idea)
    More foliage variety
    "campsite clutter" spare ropes, barrels, crates, food supplies, burnt out camp fire maybe
    Maybe even something nasty lurking in the night ^^

I know your trying to keep it small, but any of those things would be really nice to see, either way, keep it up!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This looks ace. As Giles said before me, it needs to look more like a campsite, rather than just a random table in the middle of a jungle.

This scene reminds me of Monkey Island, which is a grrrrreat thing!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    gileruscoe, yeah great ideas for possible props there Gile, my idea was also to make it look more like a little campsite so stuff like old style tent is a given. Glad your digging it, if you get more ideas and stuff be sure to drop them because sometimes you can forget the darnest things that really would add to the scene.

PogoP, Thanks a lot, glad your liking it so far and as I mentioned above I will turn it into a camp (should have written it earlier). Monkey Island is one of the sources of inspiration for this project also you can combine that with a little Indiana Jones flavor. BTW kudos on all the sick stuff you've created! :poly142:

And as always thanks for your comments and crits, It's always nice, now I need to go and cook me some food, have a good one guys! :)
  • Cooljay
    Nice comp here. I like how you took this style, and made it work :P.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    I've added some new stuff to the scene, waterfall, hanging bridge, tent, some new exotic plants etc..

I have been on a trip back home for 6 days so haven't really focused much on working on this scene although I've actually put together some more props, a barrel, a lantern thingy, some more stone totems etc. Just need to texture them too.

not completely happy with the water material as it is now, I'm not a master at handling the material editor but it would be nice to add some reflections from the sky and moon. I'll see what I do about that part, If anyone have a nice tip for creating a nice looking water material that might fit the scene feel free to tell my how. :)

Also I sold my motorbike! =p.gif

Have a good one!

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip2_by_jbird556-d3gped7.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip3_by_jbird556-d3gpel4.jpg
  • Taylour
    Great job! It's grown so much since your original idea!

The small, red flowers look great against the green in the rest of the scene. I almost wish the water weren't realistic, but instead styled like the rest of your scene, though.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I am loving this thread! Great work! I would really push the vegetation in this area more, seeing as it is a Jungle/Tropical scene. It is coming along nicely keep up the good work!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Taylour, Thanks a bunch for all the positive words, I'm pretty much with you on the water part, as it is now I'm not entirely happy with the looks of it.

Darkmaster, Cool, I'm stoked that your liking it, makes me wanna dance the happy dance and also it makes me wanna put even more work into this project. About the vegetation, totally agreeing, moooar vegetation it needs. :P

As always, it's great to hear from you guys!, now I'm off for some L.A. Noir, just got my hands on it. Very excite!
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    This is coming along really sweet man.
    the only thing that looks out of place to me is the waterfall. The waterfall looks too real to be in this environment and it just stands out too much. Try to make it cartoony as well, make it blue with white wave outlines or something. Kinda like how this guy did it.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84582&page=2
  • Jonathan.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan. polycounter lvl 7
    I love it, reminds me very much of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    nice. reminds me of monkey island. you might also want to play with cartoony waterfall water. the water right now doesn't fit that well
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Holy beeejesus! I have been AWOL for how long now? a month? two months?

The truth is that I've been working on some other "secret" projects over the last couple of weeks and my personal projects have thereby been put on hold for a while.

Hopefully in time I can show you what I was working on, well I wasn't very pleased with my effort but yeah... It might get uploaded here eventually.

Anyhow I decided to work a little more with this scene before calling it done, I've been messing around a little with the technical parts of this environment getting them plants to move nicely in the wind. Also I've been messing around with particles, fluid effects and various randomness in UDK. It can be fun to fiddle with that stuff but i still want to focus more on developing my modelling and texturing workflow.

I've added some more props and stuff aswell, in the pic furthest down you will se my latest addition, a little fishermans hunt by the lake. I got some more props done for that area that just need some texturing and then I will try to get that area as cozy as the other parts of the scene to get a nice blend.

enough talk, have a good one guys! hopefully i can revive the thread... :D

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip4_by_jbird556-d3ix2nj.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip5_by_jbird556-d3ix2xa.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_environ_wip6_by_jbird556-d3ix4bz.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work man! Liking that tent lots
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot, I'm very glad that you're liking it! :)
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    wadddup! So I've been doodling around with this one for a while now on and off and I thinks it's about time to start looking for a new project..

Anyhow, I'm gonna leave folks with some pics and just so you know, I'm always thankful for your crits and comments. Cheers guys!

cartoony_lo_poly_env_final_1_by_jbird556-d3jbdql.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_env_final_2_by_jbird556-d3jbe0i.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_env_final_3_by_jbird556-d3jbegv.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_env_final_5_by_jbird556-d3jbgve.jpg

cartoony_lo_poly_env_final_4_by_jbird556-d3jbf7d.jpg
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    can you please show your thatch roof texture?
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    This is so beautiful! You should make a video showing the fireflies moving around and some flickering light from the lanterns.
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Pzychaoz, Thanks, really glad you're liking it! well i thought that would be awesome, I can try to capture some but I fear my crappy computer won't let me do it with a consistent frame rate...

P442, there's the texture used for the roof, I used an alpha mask to mask out some straws.

fishing_hut_roof_texture_by_jbird556-d3jeimm.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    prty damn cool !
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    thanks. I made a hand-painted thatch roof, but it came out a little too realistic.