Home Unreal Engine

Z up?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
Hey all,

Here's the deal. I have a monster animated in maya and I did the entire animation in Y up. But I've recently learned upon importing the animation that UDK uses Z up... (wasn't paying attention to the xyz at the bottom). I just want to know if there's a relatively quick way to re-orient the mesh in maya without losing the animation or a way to change the animset to Y up. I didn't notice a problem since the static meshes all import going the right direction. Strange that animation should be so different.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that I don't have to re-animate the entire thing to get it to work..

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    well if you are using a static mesh then i dont think u can apply an animation to it. you'll need a skeletalmesh. in which case you can go to the skeletal mesh viewer (or animset viewer), and grab the mesh and change the Rot Origin. also if you plan for this character to be in the game u need to move the Z origin to -52
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Oniram,

Thank you for your reply.
    It's not a static mesh, it is a skeletal mesh. The problem I'm having is that I made it and animated it in Y up. I'm just wondering if there's a way to adjust the model in the animset editor or if you know any tricks to re-orient the entire model without ruining the keyframes it already has. The monster in question is more of a prop and wont be attacked or attacking. Just swimming around outside. Would it be possible to rotate the mesh in matinee? and if so how do I do it?

Thanks again for the help.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    well in that case just go into the animset editor and change the Rot Origin on the Y or Z axis, by intervals of 90 so u can get the right orientation
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks a ton mate! that helps me out a lot!

-cheers