Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Above The Clouds.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
Hey Guys, been working on this environment (my first) for around the last ~7-8 weeks (around other uni subjects). The whole thing is rendered in CE2. I'm really happy with the end result, and it's been a great learning experience.

Anyway, some pics!

abovetheclouds1.jpg
abovetheclouds2.jpg
abovetheclouds3.jpg
abovetheclouds4.jpg

And here's the concept I based it off (done by Ágnes Staudt for an Unfinished Crytek Project):
above_the_clouds2009__crytek_by_staudtagi-d33qwto.jpg

Replies

• JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, great work, the last pic looks amazing ^^
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    the brickwork looks like it tiles way too much and it seems pretty clean for how destroyed the place is. it generally seems like youve got only a few props in there which is a great start. id say keep goin with it. mess with the terrain a bit more, giving some variance as to not have it so flat looking. and see if you can take some of those props and really damage them up a bit. also, it could help to just clutter in more buildings, since it looks like nothing exists past the windmill building.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the scenes and at the concept art, I'd say this has a little ways to go before completion.

The biggest detriment to the scene right now is that the scale is off in comparison to the concept art. Mostly the scattered debris and the size of the bricks on the texture.

The debris in your scene are much too big; the actual scene in the concept art is much bigger than your scene depicts. Also, the building on the left in the concept art is twice the height as you made it... you've also missed a lot of the building on the other side of the wind mill tower.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, I agree with pretty much all of the comments, but at the moment I've devoted much too much time to this, and nowhere near enough to my other assignments. I'll probably revisit a few parts of the scene once my holidays start. I especially want to redo the windmill.

Anyway, I had a few spare minutes tonight, so I added a bit of extra grunge to the walls, played around a bit with color grading, and also redid the TOD (time of day) graphs, in an attempt to make it a bit more dark like the concept.

wip2.jpg

Maybe the shadows are a bit dark?
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmmm, A bit of an update :)

EDIT:seems linking to youtube embeds it, cool. Anyway, video!:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnE6DHaNQTU[/ame]

finalewider.jpg

It's now finished to a standard that I'm happy to submit for uni, but I'm going to rework a whole lot of it over my holidays :) Not enough trash all over the place :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like a good start, but I think you need to push it, you know pour some awesome sauce on it.

To be specific, the sails seem too stiff, what about doing some cloth? Even if its in another app like max or Maya it just needs that little bit of wind and some gravity on a high poly piece of cloth to make it believable. Its incredibly easy to set up in max and once you bake it out it looks great even as a static mesh.

Too many right angles and straight edges in a destroyed place. The reference has a sad saggy melodically feel to it and if you pushed that into your modeling it would help sell the scene.

You're composition is really messy and your action lines are conflicting and fighting instead of flowing. It's this underlying structure to the image that really needs to come across and its not.
    AboveTheCloudsComposition.jpg

Look at the line coming from the sail, how it flows into the edge of the island and right into the focal point, that's really slick. It's also broken in your scene.

The floating islands are shaped a bit like a pyramids of trash, tallest in the center and sloping toward the edges. In the ref, the left background island is only half visible, from the tallest point forward. This creates another slopping action line that feeds into the focal point. Now look at your floating island, it ramps up the opposite direction and points away from the focal point.

You might get a good grade and it might be a success as far as setting up some lighting, learning to import meshes and doing some basic materials but I don't think it would fly in the industry as is and I wouldn't stuff it in your portfolio until you straighten out a few things.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like a good start, but I think you need to push it, you know pour some awesome sauce on it.

To be specific, the sails seem too stiff, what about doing some cloth? Even if its in another app like max or Maya it just needs that little bit of wind and some gravity on a high poly piece of cloth to make it believable. Its incredibly easy to set up in max and once you bake it out it looks great even as a static mesh.

Too many right angles and straight edges in a destroyed place. The reference has a sad saggy melodically feel to it and if you pushed that into your modeling it would help sell the scene.

You're composition is really messy and your action lines are conflicting and fighting instead of flowing. It's this underlying structure to the image that really needs to come across and its not.
    AboveTheCloudsComposition.jpg

Thanks heaps for that, that paintover is infinitly helpful (and will be handy when I go to rework everything) :)

I did try using cloth at one point, but I couldn't seem to get nice results with it once it was baked down, and ingame. Really worth another shot though, I see your point it does look quite unnatural, especially when it's moving.

I think one of my major issues was that I wanted to try using modular geometry, but by doing so I lost a lot of the flexibility I could have had with more unique stuff.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Bravo Mark Dygert. Good PO!

mystichobo, everything everyone has said i'll second. Keep pushing and this will end up dope with MORE to it :)

Looking forward to seeing it again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad it helps! I forgot to post this earlier... it's covers composition in much more detail.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275