Home Technical Talk

Maya user learning 3DS Max

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycount!

I Know am not the first and I won’t be the last to try and learn Max coming from Maya and I thought I would document my experince and post any questions I have here. Hopefully others can save themselves some time while learning Max and if the also have some questions feel free to post in this thread looking for answers. :)

INTRODUCTION

Below are some usefull tips for the Maya users learning Max"

As a new Max use coming from Maya the first thing most people struggle with is the Viewport navigation. At first it feels like modeling with boxing goves on :poly127: .

I know it would not take to long to get used to this but I didn't want that frustration to be getting in the way while try to learn something new. So to remove that barrier you have two solutions out there one Commercial solution called Switcher by dRaster ( $68 ) and a FREE alternative called MEM's Max2Maya

They both do a good job but the free soultion is know to have conflicts with the Graphite Modeling Tools.

Next up is Hotkeys. I was never one to use custom hotkeys in Maya but did use the defaults ones often and would like to have some Maya Style Hotkeys in Max. Max can easily allow you to customize your hot-keys or you and download this file and replace your defaults one.

Few other things I missed in Max being a Maya user one if them is having having the Hotbox. I used this all the time for changing cameras. Thankfully there are a few solutions the one I am using 3DS Max Hot Box it doesnt offer as many context menus as you would find in Maya but it allows me to change the View-port camera quickly :)

If your not happy with it then you can try getting onto the closed beta for 3DS Max Hot Box which appears to offer more menus and is also customizable.

Someone has also made Max script to replicate Maya's Outliner called Outliner 2.0

Another useful tip is the F1 key for help if you click on something and press F1 it will open the corresponding help page which can be useful, also new in Max 2011 and Improved is 2012 is the Tool Tips for the Graphite Modeling Tools where if you hover your mouse over for a second it will give you brief desorption OF what the tool does and for more info you can press F1.

COMMON QUESTIONS AND SOLUTIONS

Q: If I select a face in wireframe mode it Turns read. How to disable?
A : Press F2 or you can press ALT+X to switch to transparent mode for that particular selection.

Q: What Hotkeys are used to change between selection types Vertex,Edge,Face and Object
A: 1 = vertex, 2 =edge, 3 = border, 4 = polygon, 5 = element, and 6 exits sub-selection and returns you to the whole object.

Q: How Grow/Shrink polygon selection region
A: *Pending

Q: How to convert selection type. For example convert selection of faces to their contained edges.
A: With the desired selection made, right click anywhere in the viewport and hit "convert to edge/face/vertex" .

Q: How to delete a edge without deleting the surrounding polygon face?
A: Ctrl+Backspace in edge mode to remove an edge and its verts just backspace will remove the edge but keep the verts intact.

Q: How to convert selection type. For example convert selection of faces to their contained edges.
A: with desired selection made, right click anywhere in the viewport and hit "convert to edge/face/vertex

Q: Instead of pressing J to switch off Selection Brackets for each object how can I disable them all for all view-ports ?
A: Each viewport has to be disabled on its own. This can be done by press the [+} button found in the top left of your viewport then going to Configure Viewports... then un-checking Use Selection Brackets.

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Selection types are the number keys. For example, in editable poly, 1 is vertex, 2 is edge, 3 is border, 4 is polygon, 5 is element, and 6 exits sub-selection and returns you to the whole object.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Maya I missed pressing 3 in Maya to see a preview if my model smoothed/subdivided . Do quickly view your model smoothed you can use a thing called NURMS. Which I bound to the S key which was the Set key-frame hot-key
    but as I am only using MAX for Modeling and Rendering it seems like a good choice for me

S = Smooth :)
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also noticed that I was aways charging my selection Region from Rectangular, Circular, Fence, Lasso and Paint. The reason for this is my old habit from Maya of pressing Q to switch to Object mode in Maya. To fix this I changed the "Object Level" hot-key from 6 to Q. You can find this under Customize User Interface > Keyboard Tab > Editable Poly Group.

Now when I want to work on a different object in my scene I just press Q. But I miss using the Hotbox to change the Selection :(
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    A: In polygon level of the edit poly menu under selection, the shrink and grow buttons (at the top of the window by default) I have Ctrl-G bound to grow, not sure if there's a hotkey by default

A: with desired selection made, right click anywhere in the viewport and hit "convert to edge/face/vertex

A: If i know what your asking here, you use combination of Ctrl+Backspace in edge mode to remove an edge and its verts (just backspace will remove the edge but keep the verts intact)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW you should do one of these for the opposite. people who know max but want to learn maya :P
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bonebrew! You where bang on with your answers :) Haha If I got good with Max then maybe but I think it would be better done by someone learning Max. I feel that allot of tutorials miss out the "simple" because the tutors don't even consider that simple something as they long forgotten about it.
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    I don't want to hijack this useful thread - but was wondering if we could expand this to include helpful tools or tutorials in the opposite direction. Does anyone have any links or tutorials that might benefit an advanced 3dsMax user transitioning to maya?
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello FicWill. I think you could join in with this thread also there is this DVD which covers that very topic. Although it is a few years old still has relevant information.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One wrote: »
    Q: If I select a face in wireframe mode it Turns read. How to disable?
    A : Press F2 or you can press ALT+X to switch to transparent mode for that particular selection.
    You can also turn off the face highlighting in the viewport options. Click viewport label [+] in the upper left corner of the viewport and go to configure and un-check "Shade Selected Faces".
    A: *Pending
    It can be assigned to a hot key and there are + and - Buttons in edit poly.
    Also make note of the arrows next to "Ring" and "Loop" when in edge mode, these will also grow and shrink selections.
    Graphite modeling tools has some advanced options to grow/shrink. Options like:
    Dot Ring: selects every other edge in a ring, same goes for Dot Loop. This is handy when optmizing a mesh and you want to cut the edge/poly count in half.
    Also make note of the "select by angle this can be great in selecting faces quickly. You can also select faces by mat ID and smoothing groups.

A: With the desired selection made, right click anywhere in the viewport and hit "convert to edge/face/vertex"
    You can also hold ctrl and click the mode icons in edit poly, under the selection rollout. This does not work for the modifier stack.
    A: Ctrl+Backspace in edge mode to remove an edge and its verts just backspace will remove the edge but keep the verts intact.
    In the graphite modeling tools there is a great little mode to also help with this called "step build".
    Taken from here: http://www.polycount.com/2011/03/01/3dsmax-2012-thoughts-and-impressions/#more-5584

StepBuild.jpg

StepBuild: Will allow you to create and remove polys from a surface easily and quickly. It can be found in the freeform tabwith any sub-object mode selected for an editable poly object or edit poly modifier.

Clicking
    on the grid or the surface of an object places verts.

Shift click,
    creates polys between verts. It tries its best to create quads. It is good at filling in holes, most of the time it gets the UVs right too, which is great when it works. When it doesn’t you’re no worse off than you would be using the slower methods (bridge, extrude, create).

Ctl click
    removes faces and leaves the verts, which is good if you’re going to rebuild the faces using Shift click.

Alt click
    , removes verts/edges and leaves the polys, which is good for optimizing areas.

It has a few other features you can play around with, hit the help file and read up on those features if you’re interested.

Also there is a script for max that handles smoothing like Maya does, soft/hard edges instead of the clunky 3dsmax "smoothing group". It's on script spot, I don't have time to find it but its great!
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mark . Great info as ever!! Your post has promoted some questions . I went looking for that script for max that handles smoothing like Maya does but no luck. I searched 40 off pages and only found these guys 1 or 2 If you could post the name I don't mind posting the name I will doing some more searching. Also whats better about it from what I can tell NURMS is fine?

I also have a more in depth question for you. I was looking for a way to zoom into my view port and my background image at the same time. I know this is possible in Maya and wondering how to do this in Max

Thanks again :thumbup:
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assuming I'm understanding the question correctly, you need to make sure that you check "Lock Zoom/Pan" in the Viewport Background dialog box (alt-b is the default shortcut to bring that up).
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Iconplast. I tried that and My background still stays the same size when I zoom. Maybe I am not zooming in with the correct method. Any ideas
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you have selected for the aspect ratio? If it's on Match Viewport, then Lock Zoom/Pan is disabled.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is on Bitmap but If I change to any of the others I still wont help ? I have taken a screen grab which will hopefully explain a bit better. Large image sorry

helpview.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I changed from maya to 3ds max myself, found it a breeze didn't need to change anything, I love max :)
    Everyone is not the same tough, on your latest question try checking this button.
    PGRBC.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Stromberg I tried changing all the setting in that window but its does not change a thing :poly127:
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Stromberg said, the thing marked in red is where you need a checkmark to make the image stay put.
    max_background.jpg

Really, though, for reference you're better off making a plane and applying the bitmap to that. There's a lot of good info in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83453
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've had alot of trouble with using background images in the past, so I really heavily rely on using planes for reff imgs.
    But I just want to ask:
    Sticky inc? I can see this thread becoming a "3dsmax for smart people" of sorts.

Anyways good to hear from Mark about the new graphite tools as one of my clients has recently began using 2011 for downressing models so I'm definitely going to look at that.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    sorry to res this thread but i've just started using max from maya and there's one thing that's really bugging me. in maya when you frame on a selection then deselect and tumble the viewport it rotates around the object you framed - in max you have to keep the object selected - is there anyway i can change this so it tumbles around the last selection as i'm constantly losing my objects when i tumble!

cheers
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z refocuses the camera on whatever you have selected, it continues to tumble around that point even after you've deselected it.

RogueOne The script I was talking about can be found here: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/hard-soft-edge
    Pier Janssen also wrote Outliner... I can't really use max without outliner.
  • AhmedFawaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AhmedFawaz polycounter lvl 4
    (first off sorry for bumping an old thread)

i have been a silent user on this forum for quite some time. I've come across this post and it had changed my entire 3ds experience! THANK YOU SO MUCH! all of you for putting together such a great helpful post. I have been using maya for 5+ years and now im on 3ds due to work. im alright at max atm but i will always be a maya user. this has helped me so much and changed my experience :)
  • robert.nally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
    (sorry to re-bump an old post, but I thought it would be the best place to ask this question and help others in the future who stumble upon this thread)

I'm a recent max user and long-time Maya user like all of you. I've checked the:

Customize -> Prefences -> Interaction Mode Tab

recently, which can be found in 3DS Max 2014 and it allows you to switch your mouse and keyboard interaction to the Maya tools as opposed to the default 3ds max ones. So, for example, I can zoom with alt+right, pan with alt+middle mouse button, and rotate view with alt+left-click.

tldr;

My question is: has anyone used the Maya keyboard interaction for Max function and what was your experience with it?

My concern is that I may be making things more complicated taking this route because I might be eliminating important max hotkeys or what not that I will need in the future. Is it better to bite the bullet now so to speak and learn their system or can I delay it or forget about it entirely because of the aforementioned function.

I was also curious if anyone has tried out the Max hotbox scripts that replicate functions in the Maya hotbox and what people's thoughts were on those. Here is an example I found:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/3ds-max-hot-box